Life Is Weird Like That

Part One.

One Month Later...

Feeling the cold air hit her thin tanned legs, Haylie groaned out loudly as her right hand searched blindly for the cover's and pulled them over her freezing body, shivering one last time. And then she was woken up once again just as she was almost back to sleep by a loud and noisy ringing. A cell phone.

"Baby?" Haylie groaned out while sitting up in bed, her sleepy hazel eye's scanning across her bedroom she shared with her boyfriend to notice the sun shining thru the blinds that were halfway open. "Chris?" Haylie grabbed her cell phone that sat on the nightstand to see that it was almost noon which shocked her.

Throwing the covers off her slender body, Haylie grabbed a pair of her black PJ pants that had blue and red peace signs everywhere that she slid off late lastnight when she got hot. Sliding them on, her feet touched the cold hardwood floor as she made her way out of the bedroom and down the hall to find where her boyfriend was. It was unlike him to wake up before her, and with his side of the bed feeling cold, he must've been awake way before her this morning.

"Christopher? Baby, where are you?" Haylie said loudly, checking the main bathroom and the guest bedroom only to come up empty-handed. Shaking her head, she walked down the stairs to find him relaxing on the couch with a beer in his left hand, the remote to the tv in his other hand. And another person she wasn't expecting to see sitting beside him, and groaned to herself.

"Look who's finally awake," said twenty-six year-old Christopher Joseph Sanders, sitting his beer on the coffee table and standing up from the couch, a grin on his face. "What's for breakfast?" asked Chris while walking across the living room until he was in front of her and wrapped his muscular arms around her, pulling her in a tight hug.

Chris had a round face with a narrow jawline, and a pointy chin that had a little stubble on it. His dark lidded brown eyes were tired looking which meant he had a rough night, sitting below bushy brown eyebrows, and he had a curved nose above red chapped lips that always had a cigarette hanging out the side of his mouth. His dark brown hair had grown out just a tad from his usual buzzcut he had most of the time, and his tanned face wasn't as tanned as it really is, looking clammy and pale that morning.

Haylie and Chris have known one another since Middle School and was acquaintances in High School, but never too close because on his part, she just wasn't that pretty enough for him back then, and on her part was she didn't want to get involved with any boy with everything she had going on at home. They never kept in touch after graduation, but ran into eachother one day while she was at work and he walked in for lunch, instantly recognized her and was blown away by how she looked.

Returning the hug before pulling away, Haylie raised her eyebrows in confusion as she asked, "I was calling for you. Why didn't you answer?"

"I was just downstairs. No need to panic, babe," Chris answered, kissing her forehead then made his way back to the couch.

Shrugging her shoulders at his answer, Haylie walked into the kitchen to see the dirty dishes piled in the sink and crossed her arms. The dishes Chris promised he'd wash and put away lastnight before he went to bed. She hated whenever he made promises because he never kept them, so she didn't know why she seemed surprised that he didn't do the dishes. It seemed that ever since they moved in together a couple of months ago, all she ever got done was housework. If it wasn't the dirty dishes, it was picking up the dirty clothes he'd throw on the floor and then do the laundry. And to her, it seemed as if he hasn't done one simple thing besides make the mess bigger for her.

"Hays."

Getting brought back to reality at the sound of the familiar voice that she was dreading to hear, Haylie turned around to see the one person she wasn't expecting to be at their house, especially this early at almost noon. Not that she was surprised to see him since he was best friend's with Chris.

Twenty-five year-old Jonathan Nicholas Goodman stood there with a smirk on his face and his arms crossed over his chest. He had a rectangular face with a defined jawline, and a slightly pointed chin. His dark faded denim colored eyes were heavy-lidded, sitting below a trim eyebrows that seemed to curve as a natural extension of his round nose. He kept his mouth closed in a thin, straight line--that is, whenever he isn't giving his infamous smirk--and his natural sandy blonde hair stopped right above his ears, messy as if he just woke up, but that was normal for people who knew him.

"What is it?" asked Haylie in a bored tone as she turned back around and made her way to the sink to start on the dishes, knowing they'd just sit there for days if she didn't. She loved Chris, but this stuff was getting old quickly.

"What's for breakfast?" asked Jon who leaned on the counter with his forearms, the smirk still present on his lightly tanned face.

"I don't know why you're asking me," Haylie said in a bitter voice while running some water in the sink, a loud sigh escaping past her chapped red lips. "Whatever you find will be your breakfast."

"You're the woman though, sweetheart. That's what women do; stay in the kitchen and make breakfast for the men," said Jon, already knowing he was getting on her nerves which he loved.

They've known one another since kindergarten, but never associated with eachother until they hit Middle School. Not that they ever became friends or anything like that, they only shared a few words. Then those shared words became harsh words when he stuck up for her during a fight with her ex-boyfriend, she spat at him how she didn't need his help and he accepted that, leaving it at that. High School they were always getting on one another's nerves, him more being the annoying one while she tried to brush him off whenever he pushed her buttons. And here they are today, still enemies, and nobody knows why they don't like eachother. But they have to put their feelings aside since she was dating his best friend.

"Please. Leave," Haylie gritted between her teeth, filling up the other sink where she'd put the clean dishes in to rinse them off before putting them in the dish drainer.

"But why? I'm waiting on you to make me breakfast," Jon grinned over at her, walking around the kitchen counter and leaning up against the counter beside her. "I'm feeling some bacon, eggs, and toast this morning."

"Why don't you go ask your little girlfriend to make you breakfast, yeah?" Haylie sent him a smirk of her own as she started washing the bowls, ignoring his presence the best she could which was pretty hard to do.

Twenty-four year-old Megan Mae Sullivan was once Haylie's bestest friend in High School until she went behind Haylie's back and messed around with two of her boyfriends, but like she said, it was a test to see if they was worth her time, and as proved, they failed. But that wasn't all that made their friendship crumble. Megan started rumors that Haylie got pregnant by her last high school boyfriend, but aborted the baby because she hated children which was not true. She loved babies and children dearly. She tried to deny she started those rumors, but was at the wrong place and wrong time when she walked in on Megan telling a group of popular girls the lies. Ever since then, they've disliked one another.

"She had to cover somebody's shift at work this morning," said Jon in a bored tone, shrugging his shoulders in a lazy way as if he didn't really care. "I was lonely so I thought I'd come over here and have you make me breakfast," Jon sent her a wink when she looked at him with her eyebrows raised.

"Get lost, and please, don't be found," Haylie said, turning her attention back to the last dirty plate and sliding it into the clean water to rinse it off then sat it in the drainer.

"Awe, you don't mean that, princess," Jon chuckled out, crossing his arms over his chest as he watched Haylie with a smirk.

"You know what?" asked Haylie, letting the water out of both sinks and splashing water at him, sending him a glare. "Screw you," Haylie spat out, walking to the refrigerator to see if they had any eggs and bacon. Might as well make him some breakfast so he'd leave her alone.

"I know you want to, princess," replied Jon as he walked past Haylie, sending her another wink before he made his way back to the couch with Chris.

Raising her eyebrows as she stared at the direction he went in, Haylie muttered to herself before grabbing the bacon and eggs from the refridgerator, sitting them on the counter beside the stove. "Who wants bacon, eggs, and toast?" Haylie yelled out, leaning back against the stove with her arms crossed.

"Sounds great, babe," yelled Chris who was leaning back on the couch, channel surfing while finishing off his second beer of the morning.

After having a long breakfast with an annoying Jon being, well, annoying as always, Haylie made her way to her bedroom to find some clothes to wear for the day. She had to go grocery shopping which she dreaded because it was cold out that day, and she wasn't really fond of cold weather. Spring and Autumn were two of her favorite seasons, it wasn't too hot nor too cold. It felt just right to her.

She took a quick shower before drying her hair with her purple hairdryer and grabbing some clothes to wear, ignoring the cold air that was causing goosebumps to appear on her skin. She pulled on a pink short-sleeve shirt with a black tribal butterfly on the front of it, a pair of dark blue-jeans along with her pink stud-belt, white fuzzy socks and her black boots. Brushing her teeth then washing her face, she applied some black eyeliner around her hazel eyes and, as usual, her red strawberry lip-gloss. She never really got into lipstick for some reason, she was more of a lip-gloss kind of girl.

"Chris," Haylie started, walking down the stairs while pulling her medium length auburn hair back in a low pony-tail before she continued, "I'm heading to the store. Could you do me a favor while I'm out?" asked Haylie as she stopped by the couch beside him, her hazel eye's connecting with his dark brown orbs.

"Sure, babe. You know I will," said Chris, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her onto his lap, a grin on his face. "Anything for you," Chris said before cupping her face with his hands and pulling her closer to him until their lips met.

Smiling against his lips, Haylie pulled away while running her fingers thru his brown buzzed-cut hair and staring into his brown eyes. "Can you wash the dirty dishes that are in the sink from breakfast, please?"

"Of course, babe."

"You promise you will?" asked Haylie, knowing in her heart that he'll make the promise, but won't keep it. She still doesn't know why she makes him promise her he'll do stuff when he won't in the end.

"I promise. You be careful," replied Chris who pulled her down for one more long kiss, pulling away with a smile. "Love you, baby."

"Love you, Chris. And don't forget about the dishes," Haylie reminded him as she stood up from his lap and made her way towards the front door, pulling the strap to her purse over her left shoulder.

While at the store, Haylie went down aisle after aisle as she got things they needed at the house. With it being a busy afternoon and the store was almost packed with customers, Haylie was getting a slight headache from all the noise and people around her. She wasn't that comfortable being around a huge crowd for too long which is why whenever her boyfriend went out partying, she was left home alone a lot. At first she didn't mind it, but he goes out almost every night which she didn't really like.

Getting thru the line in one piece and paying, she finally got the groceries in the backseat and slid into the drivers seat with a content sigh. Turning the engine on and buckling her seatbelt, she drove herself back home thru all the traffic that was out today. Too much traffic, she thought.

As she pulled into their driveway, she noticed that Jon's black 1998 Chevrolet Camaro was missing from where it was parked beside the curb in front of their house before she left. Grinning that he wasn't there to annoy her anymore for the day, Haylie climbed out of her car and began grabbing as many grocery bags as she could, she made her way up onto the porch without dropping anything. Turning the door knob the best she could, she pushed the door open with her foot and stepped into the quiet house.

"Chris?" Haylie asked loudly, her hazel eye's looking around at the empty living room where her boyfriend once was before she left the house. Three empty beer bottles sat on the coffee table along with an astray full of cigarette butts. "Typical."

Glaring at the hardwood floor, Haylie carried the groceries into the kitchen and sat them on the table before she went back out to get the rest. After walking back inside, she slammed the door shut behind her before she began putting the food up in the kitchen while trying not to let her anger show. Sure, they lived together, but she'd like a nice and quiet day to spend together without anybody inviting themselves over unexpectedly like Jon always did. She's going to plan a whole day with just them two. No cells phones, no company, no worries.

Pulling her cell phone from her purse, she sent a quick text to Chris asking his where abouts while she leaned up against the counter, suddenly realizing something. The dirty dishes were still in the sink. Glaring at the dishes, she kicked the cabinet in anger and went upstairs to take a nice, hot relaxing bath. And after getting her water ready and slipping in the hot water, her cell phone laying on the nightstand in the bedroom vibrated as she recieved a new text message from Chris. A text message that she wouldn't be too pleased with once she opened it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Advice and comments are greatly appreciated!