Dream A Little Bigger, Darling

One.

"Sir, while I understand that you want your daughter to be successful, this is not the line of work I would recommend. You would spend more time worrying about her safety than being proud she landed a career," Mr. Eames said, leaning back in his seat and looking at the older gentleman sitting across from him. "I'm not going to train her, if you want her to enter this business so badly, go talk to Arthur. Though I'm sure he would decline as well."
"Mr. Eames, my daughter has the capacity to be part of this business, and everything I've learned has convinced me to find you out of anyone else I could have talked to. She has such a unique mindset, such a beautiful way of thinking. She can do this. You can teach her everything she needs to know. Maybe not necessarily forging but your mind is broad enough to teach her. The way you work is what she needs. I've spoken to her about getting involved in this and she wants to do it," the gentleman explained in a nearly pleading tone. Mr. Eames watched him quietly for a moment before letting out a long sigh.
"Mr. Ferris, I apologise. But I won't do it. No amount of money will change my mind. Getting involved in this business is too dangerous and I'm sure neither you nor your daughter know what it is you're talking about," Mr. Eames said, shaking his head slightly as he spoke. Mr. Ferris sighed.
"Alright. Well if you change your mind, you know how to reach me," the older man said rising out of his chair and leaving the crowded place. Cambodia really was an awful place. That was the thought in Mr. Eames mind as he looked around while watching the man walk away.
Mr. Eames declined Mr. Ferris's request because of the naivety in the mans knowledge of the business. It almost hurt to decline the large sum of money, but he couldn't find it in himself to try and train some girl of whom he had never met. For all he knew, she would be just as naive as her father, if not more so. Mr. Eames couldn't risk his time or her safety to do it.
••

DeLaney was a different girl. It was something she always knew and easily accepted. To escape the hum drum activities of day to day life, she had taken her risks. She had dug deep into the secrets of the world around her. She prided herself on her investigative skills. It landed her a decent enough job. She did her research, found out what she was asked, and handed her information over to the higher ups. She found out what she needed to know, but nothing more. Though she knew she could if she wanted. In fact, she had. DeLaney had a habit of digging further than she should into things she was asked. It was really quite easy.
It wasn't a place she wanted to stay, however. She wanted more. She wouldn't be satisfied until she found what she was looking for. And in order to do so, she had to find certain people. The right people. Around the same time she was falling into this place, her father approached her about the same exact thing, and DeLaney had never been more excited.
Of course, she wasn't expecting admission. And she wasn't at all surprised to be declined. So after a year and a half's worth of time and effort, a lot of frustration at tracking these people down, she found exactly who she was looking for. She packed her things, parted with her father, and was on her way. She knew where she would find him, but didn't exactly know when.
DeLaney found him in a crowded little bar, sitting at a bench with some locals. By the looks of it, they were gambling. And he wasn't faring too well.
"Mombasa. I'm surprised you came back here, you'd think Cobol's guys would have been on your tail now after the incident with Cobb," DeLaney said with a smirk, sitting down beside the man. He looked up from his game at the strangers sudden appearance, a puzzled look on his face.
"The fact that you know that when I've never seen you a day in my life is startling," he said casually, his voice accented and coarse. She smiled.
"Mr. Eames, I'm not a threat to you," she said, matching his casual tone of voice.
"Your size alone would make you no threat, even if you were supposed to be," he said, eyebrows raising only slightly. "Now, what can I do for you, darling?" DeLaney shook her head. He was witty, she had to give him that.
"I was hoping we could talk. Come with me? You weren't winning this game anyway," she said, standing up from her seat. An amused smirk touched his invitingly plump lips at her comment, and he stood with her, stashing his winnings. The difference between their sizes was fully shown as they stood, and he found his statement to be entirely true. She was a tiny little thing, Mr. Eames noted. He was a rather tall, broad man with a confident air to his appearance. "There was this tea place I passed earlier. I want to try it," she said, half to herself as the pair walked.
Mr. Eames bought both cups out of courtesy, once they found the place, and let himself be led to a table near the back of the small, fragrant building. He held a steady gaze on her as he took a sip of his tea before speaking. "What was it that brought you to find me?" he asked. Her eyes met his, and she leaned forward, folding her arms on the surface of the table.
"A year and a half ago, you were sought out by a man named Samson Ferris on matters of business. Mr. Eames, my name is DeLaney Ferris, Mr. Ferris's daughter. I'm here because no isn't an answer I can agree with," the girl explained. Mr. Eames let a grin and chuckle escape him.
"I should have guessed as much. Miss Ferris, if you're anything like your father, what with the naivety about this business, my answer remains no. You aren't in any place to be getting involved," he said, situating his slouch in his seat. She took a sip of her tea.
"You don't know a thing about me, Mr. Eames. My dad is of very simple mind. He only knows the very basics of what you do because it's all he can comprehend. He only has the simplest idea of the business, and he only knows what he does because of me. I was the one that sent him to find someone. I put him on that road. He wouldn't have found you if it weren't for me. I know the danger involved, I know the risks. I'm fully prepared for this," she said. They looked at each other quietly for a moment. "Does the fact that I found you in the first place not say anything? You were a very difficult man to find. Especially without there being any record of you having a first name. Mr. Eames, you may as well not exist, but I found you. The fact that I did doesn't tell you anything?" she added. His lack of response put a smirk on her face and she stood. "I found you once, and I can do it again if you decide to leave, so don't even bother. I'm going to find a hotel to stay in, it was nice to meet you Mr. Eames, and I'll look forward to seeing you soon," she smiled, nodding as she began leaving. He stood up before she reached the door.
"A lady like you is not staying in a hotel alone, Miss Ferris, not in a place like this. You'd be better off just staying with me, and if I'm not getting away from you, it's all the more reason to come," he said, following her. She rose her brows in faux surprise.
"This is all so sudden, Mr. Eames, we've only just met," she said, her voice matching the expression. He rolled his eyes and gently pushed her out the door.
"Come along, darling," he said with a heavy sigh.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I said I was going to wait until I got my Bane story on track to start this one, but I'm a liar and I couldn't. Also, I'm in the process of making the layout look right, so patience.