The Past That Blinds (1 of 3)

Chapter Twelve - Bad Blood

We travel down a thin dirt path and follow single file along it until we get to a bridge, we cross, following behind Gandalf and Thorin. Bilbo gazes in awe at the beauty of the place and I must say I am quite happy, yet at the same time I feel the pain that I once felt so long ago swirling inside like a poison. The dwarves look uneasy as we stand in the courtyard waiting to be greeted. I stand near Gandalf, who insisted I should be there when we are greeted.

After a few moments a dark-haired elf walks down a flight of stairs to greet us.
“Mithrandir.” a voice says, gaining our attention,
Gandalf turns to look at the elf that had just spoken one of his names “Ah, Lindir!”
The elf looks at me, having to take a second glance “A! Lady Chase, Gwannas lû and” it has been too long.
“Gi Suilon, Lindir” I greet you , Lindir. I say bowing my head slightly, respectfully.
The dwarves murmur amongst themselves in distrust.
“Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen.” We heard you had crossed into the Valley he says letting us know that they were expecting us, in a round about way.
“I must speak with Lord Elrond.” Gandalf says now that formalities are aside
“My lord Elrond is not here.” Lindir replies apologetically
“Not here? Where is he?” The wizard enquires

Suddenly, the Elvish horns from earlier are heard again. The Company turns around upon hearing the sound and they see a group of armed horsemen approaching along the bridge at a rapid rate. The dwarves, feeling threatened that the riders do not slow their pace start to panic and close in together.
“Ifridî bekâr!” Ready weapons! “Hold ranks!” Thorin says to all the dwarves who feel and act as though they are under attack from the approaching elves. I close my eyes and shake my head as I sigh. I open my eyes again to see the dwarves bunched up as close as possible in a tight circle with their weapons pointed outward. The mounted Elves arrive are riding in circles around the dwarves. Eventually, they stop.

“Gandalf.” Elrond says smiling happily as he sees his old friend
“Lord Elrond” the wizard replies equily as pleased to see his old friend.
“Mellonnen! Mo evínedh?” My friend! Where have you been?” Gandalf greets the elf with a respectful gesture
“Farannem ‘lamhoth i udul o charad. Dagannem rim na Iant Vedui.” We’ve been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass.
Elrond dismounts from his horse and walks over to his friend. They hug, glad to see each other after however many years it has been.
“Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something, or someone, has drawn them near.”
He holds up an Orc sword and shows it to Gandalf, knowingly. Before handing it to Lindir
“Ah, that may have been us.” the wizard says stepping aside, Elrond notices me and greets me in the same way Lindir had, mentioning the long passing of time since we had last seen each other. Then Lord Elrond turns to the Dwarves and Thorin steps forward. The elf looks upon him with recognition, and respectfully greets him. The other riders starts to ride off towards the stables, thw dwarves calming slightly at their departure.
“Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain.”
“I do not believe we have met.” Thorin replies, not so respectfully
“You have your grandfather’s bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the Mountain.” Elrond is still civil, despite the utter rudeness of the stubborn Dwarf Prince.
“Indeed, he made no mention of you.” Thorin says rudely, purposely it seems.
Choosing the high ground and ignoring this insult. “Nartho i noer, toltho i viruvor. Boe i annam vann a nethail vin.” Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests. He says with a plain expression on his face.
“What is he saying? Does he offer us insult?” Gloin asks accusingly as he moves through the group
The dwarves grow agitated and grip their weapons uneasily.
“No, master Gloin, he’s offering you food.” Gandalf says exasperatedly. Elrond laughs a little, amused.
The dwarves quickly discuss this amongst themselves before turning back to Lord Elrond.
“Ah well, in that case, lead on.” Gloin speaks again, a few dwarves nod and some are smiling before all the dwarves start following Lindir who leads them away.

I am about to follow but Elrond stops me. “Lady Chase, if it is alright with you I would like a word with you later, after you have eaten of course” he says smiling
I really wish he would not call me a Lady, I do not like being referred to like that.
“Of course Lord Elrond” I say inclining my head in a slight bow before he motions for me to follow the company. He and Gandalf start walking the opposite way, speaking about urgent matters no doubt.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's so short, I've had a busy day but hopefully in the next few days, if I get everything done as quickly as I hope to I will upload several chapters or a couple of long ones. If you hadn't read the prequel (before I took it down to drastically rewrite) if you were wondering about he past you will get a few answers in the next few chapters (or chapter, depending on how much time I have got.)
Anyway I hope you are enjoying the story so far. Please leave comments, if there is anything you would like me to add in a future chapter let me know, or if there is anything you think I should change. Thank you for reading.