The Past That Blinds (1 of 3)

Chapter Seventeen - Out of the Frying Pan

We hardly get chance to catch our breath and be thankful that we're not going to be killed by Goblins when we hear a loud howling coming from up the mountain. I turn and look back the way we ran, I need to make sure I keep an eye on Bilbo, I'm not going to nearly have a heart attack again thinking that I've failed to protect him.

“Wargs” I say more to myself than anything, stating the obvious that we already knew
“Out of the frying pan...” Thorin starts to say
“...and into the fire!” Gandalf says, finishing the well known quote. “Run! RUN!”
We don't wait a second more, we start to run down the mountainside as fast as we can, not looking back, the sun is setting. We know we have no hope at outrunning the wargs so hopefully we will all survive and kill all the beasts before night falls.

These creatures are known for their speed so they swiftly catch up to us, we look back to make sure we're not about to be turned into dogfood and just in time, we manage to move out of the way of one warg which keeps running, jumping over a large rock and targeting Bilbo. I run towards them drawing my sword but rather than being able to help Bilbo another warg jumps at me, I look back as I hear it's heavy paws on the ground and duck as it jumps, taking a swipe at me, missing by an inch. I reach quickly and raise my blade, piercing it's underside as it flies over me, it's momentum causes my sword to cut right through it's belly, showering me in it's blood, thankfully nothing else, as it lands it does a forward somersault as it becomes lifeless. I look over at Bilbo looking rather traumatised at the dead warg in front of him with his sword embedded into it's skull. I sigh relieved and notice a few other dead beasties around

“Up into the trees, all of you! Come on, climb! Bilbo, climb! Chase, climb” Gandalf says and as I look over to him I realise that we're at a cliff edge. Bifur throws an axe, narrowly missing me and killing a Warg which was fast approaching the group. We start to climb, I jump and grab a branch with my right hand and go to swing my left up but because of the wound it only gets so far, causing extreme agony, enough to result in me letting go of the tree and grasping my shoulder.
“They’re coming!” Thorin shouts as the dwarves are jumping into trees and helping each other into them.
“Bilbo!” I say noticing the Hobbit has just pulled his sword out of the warg he had impaled. I run over to him and give him a boost into a tree, quickly following up another tree with help from Thorin, dragging me up by the back of my collar when I got so far, I climb a little higher but unable to use my left arm very much, making it difficult.

A countless number of wargs circle the trees growling and barking, The Wargs cease their commotion and turn as a White Warg, with a pale orc on its back, approaches slowly covered in scars and one arm cut off to the elbow with a metal replacement.

“Azog?!” Thorin says in disbelief, swiping a branch out of the way so he can see whether his eyes are deceiving him or not.The White Warg growls, Azog strokes it and speaks ominously. I look at Thorin who is on the branch on the other side of the tree at the same level as I am. He looks stricken with pain and grief, realizing that Azog, the orc who killed his grandfather and is presumed to have killed his father, the creature he thought had died long ago, is still alive.“It cannot be...” he says still in disbelief. The pale orc points with his mace to Thorin and speaks, rallying his wargs which start to try and climb the trees, snapping and snarling, breaking off the lower branches jumping as high as they can to try and get to us shaking the trees as they do. I have to pretty much hug the tree to keep from falling off from the lack of use I have in my left arm, but it's not much good. Azog speaks again, I don't understand what he is saying but I know Gandalf knows.

With the weight of the Wargs trying to climb and shaking the trees the roots loosen the soil causing the tree Bilbo and a few others are in to fall towards another tree, they jump to the next tree and with the weight of another tree leaning against it and dwarves and a hobbit on the same tree, plus the wargs shaking it around and their weight pushing it over, the same happens to that tree, it gets uprooted causing everyone to have to jump to the next tree until we're all in the same tree, the one on the very end of the cliff. I'm holding on by mostly my chin and arm before being pulled up onto the branch properly by Dwalin.

This tree hasn't had much warg activity since it's on the edge of the cliff and only one warg can jump up it at a time. Thankfully this tree doesn’t fall. I don't fancy falling a few thousand feet to our deaths. One of the trees we were in tumbles off the cliff leaving quite a big space where the trees once were stood, now lying on the ground. Azog laughs at our predicament, either way it seems like we're going to die, death by wargs, or death by falling. Suddenly a small fireball is thrown down amid the Wargs, who retreat in fear of what seems to be a burning pinecone that lights up the dry wood and leaves scattered around the floor. Azog is startled and angry at the unexpected resistance. I look up to Gandalf who is lighting two more pinecones.
“Fili!” Gandalf says getting the attention of the two siblings, he drops the burning projectile to the dwarf and another to Kili.
Fili catches the pinecone and has to keep changing hands to avoid burning his fingers as Bilbo and the others light more from the burning ones. I may not be able to use my left arm to throw, but I can move it enough to hold on a little and use my balance to keep myself steady while I throw flaming pinecones at the wargs. The fire seems to drive the wargs away, some burning and running away yelping and wining.

Azog, furious, roars in anger some of the dwarves cheer, but the celebration is brief. The tree beings to tip over the cliff with the weight of so many straining the roots. The cheers turn into cries of fear as the roots can't hold such a strain. It tips and stops causing Ori to loose his grip and start to fall, he manages tograb onto Dori's leg so he doesn't fall to his death. I look down and see the ground far below. But the tree hasn't stopped yet, it continues to tip, it's roots trying to hold onto the ground. I loose my grip, Thorin grabs my wrist and manages to pull me up so I'm holding on by my arms, Bilbo trying to help me the rest of the way while also making sure he doesn't fall.
“Mister Gandalf!” Dori calls just before he falls, Gandalf quickly holds out his staff and the dwarf grabs onto the end of it for dear life. “Hold on, Ori!” he calls fighting to keep his grip.
Thorin, clinging to the tree and making sure I don't fall, looks at Azog in hate and anger. He pulls himself up, his sword drawn, and walks down the large tree trunk towards the Pale Orc. I pull myself up so that it's easier to hold on and that I don't need Bilbo's help. I see Thorin running towards Azog who is smiling at the Dwarf Prince's actions. I can feel my heart thundering hoping he'll manage to kill his enemy, but fearing for his life at the same time. Thorin yells as he runs, ready to attack, and to defend himself. The White Warg jumps at the dwarf knocking him to the floor before coming around to attack. I feel my breath catch in the back of my throat as I watch, but with not a second thought I pull with all my strength, my arm causing extreme agony as I pull myself back onto the tree

Thorin gets back to his feet as Azog and his Warg charge at him the orc swinging his mace smashes Thorin in the chest and face before Thorin can react. The Dwarf Prince is brutally bashed to thr ground by the blow.
Azog roars in joy as the White Warg clamps its jaws around Thorin who yells in pain. Dwalin shouts and tries to get off and tree to assist but as he clambers up hurridly the tree branche he is holding on to breaks, swinging him precariously over the edge.
As the Warg holds Thorin in it's jaws, the dwarf Prince manages to hit the beast's head with the pommel of his sword causing the creature to throw him. Thorin lands heavily on a rock, no doubt winding him, adding to his current injuries.

I manage to pull myself up fully and notice the Hobbit rushing to Thorin's aid who is about to be decapitated by one of Azog's minions. I draw my sword and rush after the brave little Hobbit, Raising his blade the orc prepares to decapitate Thorin who seems to be struggling to move. As he swings his sword down, Bilbo throws himself at the orc and knocks him over. The orc goes to attack once regaining his balance but the plucky little Hobbit stabs the orc before it can harm him. I thought for a moment there that Bilbo was going to get himself killed. Azog growls in anger, and yells at another orc , pointing to Thorin. The orc quickly heads over to Thorin as Bilbo is attacking the previous orc, raising his sword to behead Thorin I deflect the orc's blade, knocking it out of it's grip, it flies past Azog who moves quickly to dodge it killing a rider behind him before I decapitate the orc who I had just dissarmed. I look back to Thorin who Bilbo is standing defensively in front of, Thorin looks unconcious as the Hobbit waves his sword around wildly, warningly.

Azog and the wargs start to close in on Bilbo and Azog who I stand next to but in front of slightly, protectively. They'll have to go through me to get to either of them. Azog speaks and the orcs, riding wargs, start to close in on us when the Fili, Kili and Dwalin come out of nowhere, battles cries and weapons raised. Surprising the orcs and the wargs alike. I stay as close to Bilbo as possible while we each fight a warg rider, avoiding the teeth and claws of their mounts. I roll out of the way of the warg as it swipes at me, narrowly missing being behedded by the orc rider as I stand back up, falling backwards a little against a rock which I quickly have to climb on causing the warg to headbut the rock rather than biting me. I jump on the back of the overgrown wolf killing the rider by breaking his neck. The warg starts to jump around trying to get me off it's back so I have to hold onto it's fur, while holding my sword and squeezing my knees together, to keep in place. Balance is one of my strong points, it comes after years of breaking in horses when I used to work with them before what happened to Erebor. The warg seems to tire so I make my move and stab it in the head, killing it instantly, dropping to it's belly. I look over to Bilbo who is being approached by Azog and his warg.

An eagle swoops out of nowhere and pick up a couple of wargs and their riders and drop them over the cliff. Others knock down trees, crushing wargs and burning others if the wood is ablaze. Another Eagle fans the flames with its wings, directing the flames towards more of the wargs burning them and causing a lot of them to run for their lives. Azog snarls in frustration. One Eagle flies over to the unconscious, wounded Thorin and gently picks him up then flying away. As Thorin is lifted off the ground, his oaken branch shield slips off his arm and lands on the ground. Another Eagle heads straight for an alarmed Bibo and snatches him off the ground as another picks me up from behind as I watch to make sure Bilbo is safe, startling me. Bilbo, screams as he is dropped by the eagle that picked him up, only to land on the back of another. I feel myself hold my breath as I am let go by the giant majestic bird. It's either hold my breath or scream and I can't bring myself to scream. I land on the back of another eagle and breath a sigh of relief. The rest of the Eagles proceed to pick up the dwarves out of the tree. When only Gandalf is left in the tree, the roots give way and the tree falls off the edge of the cliff. The wizard leaps clear of it and is caught by another Eagle. I sit up a little, leaning forward and holding on, I manage to put my sword away with little trouble, and I look at all the eagle's looking at who they're carrying, but when my eyes find Thorin I can't stop looking on in worry, he's not moving, I hope that he's alright, I feel a lump in my throat at the thought that he won't be alright, but I try and push that thought aside.

I can't help but look around a little as we soar through the sky, through the night sky, throught the moonlight clouds. The air is cool up so high, flying right near the top of the mountains. We fly for hours, until the sun starts to rise, and still Thorin hasn't moved, Fili calls for his uncle to try and get a response for him but still nothing. Flying above the clouds and mountains one of the eagles call and the smooth level flight becomes a little bit bumpy, the eagles turn and fly over a mountain peek before tilting down, their speed increasing, I lie on the back of the large bird feeling like I'll get pulled off by the wind otherwise. They fly through the valley, heading towards a large rock formation in the centre of the vale. The eagle carrying Thorin places him on the top of the rock as the rest of us circle while Gandalf dismounts and rushes over to Thorin.

Thorin is not responding. The rest of us dismount the eagles when they land on the rock, I had heard about this magnificent birds, but I never thought I would see one, let alone fly on the back of one. I say thank you to the bird before sliding off it's back and standing about a meter behind Bilbo, I dare not move closer as I see Thorin still lying there. Gandalf puts his hand over his face and I hear him whisper something. Is he dead? He can't be dead. “Don't be dead” I say to myself, no one can hear me, thankfully, but we're all no doubt thinking the same thing. But then his eyelids flutter open. We all breathe a sigh of relief as we see his eyes open.
“The halfling?” he asks weakly
“It’s all right. Bilbo is here. He’s quiet safe.” Gandalf says reasuringly.
Thorin starts to move so he can stand, Dwalin and Kili help him, however, once he’s on his feet, he shrugs them off and looks at Bilbo. “You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?” He says as he walks towards the hobbit. And just like that he's back to his old self, does he even realise Bilbo just saved his life?!
“I’ve never been so wrong in all my life!” he embraces Bilbo, smiling, I'm surprised, completely.
He backs up a little “I am sorry I doubted you.” He says sinceerely.
“No, I would have doubted me too. I’m not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar.” Bilbo replies looking at Gandalf for the last part. Everyone chuckles, and then Thorin looks at me, seriously. “And you,” he says indistinguishably. I mentally sigh, well, at least Bilbo isn't going to get grief anymore, I'm happy about that. Bilbo moves to one side as Thorin walks towards me. “even after how I have treated you, you still risked your life to save mine, I have mistrusted you, and for that, I am sorry”
I'm speechless, I really don't know what to say. Think of something! “In that case, I apologise that I had hit you” I say holding out my had for him to shake.
“No, I deserved that” he says quietly, taking my hand but hugging me at the same time, I'm surprised and hug back slightly, seeing as it's my bad arm that I have to move. We both move away at the same time and nod at each other.

The Eagles screech as they fly away, I look at them smiling, they're amazing creatures.
“Is that what I think it is? I hear Bilbo say. I look around to see the Hobbit and Thorin looking off in the distance while walking towards the end of the rock. I follow and on the horizon I see a single solitary peek
“Erebor - The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-Earth.” Gandalf says.
I stand besides Thorin as I look at the place I haven't seen for so many years
“Our home.” Thorin says happily. Lost in thoughts of the happier days the only time I look away is when I hear the sound of a bird chirrup, I look as it flies by.
“A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain.” Oin says as we all watch the bird flying off into the distance, tweeting happily.
“That, my dear Oin, is a thrush.” Gandalf corrects, politely.
“But we’ll take it as a sign, a good omen.” Thorin says smiling.
“You’re right. I do believe the worst is behind us.” Bilbo says happily
We all linger looking out at the landscape with Erebor directly in front of us, soon all that we've been waiting for will finally happen, we'll finally have a home again.
“I suggest we start trying to find a way to climb down from up here, while we have got the light” I say after thinking about it, climbing in the dark would not be a good idea. “It might take a full day to get to the bottom”
“Yes, I have to agree” Gandalf says nodding “Although there are steps over here” he says heading “But don't mind me, you can climb down if you wish” he says jesting lightly. We all follow walking towards the steps that are carved into the rock, but have been worn away over many years, I think to myself who could have created the steps, and why, but the view is amazing.

Once we're down at the bottom it's decided that we rest here in a cave in the base of the rock formation.
“Since we're resting here for the rest of the day and the night I'm going taking a bath in the river, I stink” I chuckle, holding my pack on my back over my good shoulder, once I clean the wound I'm going to have to sew it, I should have suitable thread and needles in my bag. It should be fine once closed, I am quite surprised I hadn't passed out from blood loss, I feel numb and light headed now that all the adrenalin has worn off, and I feel like I could sleep for a week, I'll be achy after a rest that's for sure, as for my arm I doubt I will be able to use it for a few days. I get to the river and sit down next to it and just sit quietly, listening to the water flow, I close my eyes, smiling. Despite everything that has happened I actually feel content.
♠ ♠ ♠
There may be some errors in this seeing as I am writing this on twenty four hours no sleep, but I have checked through it, knowing my luck there will still be some mistakes. haha
But I hope you like it.
Please let me know what you think. :)