The Past That Blinds (1 of 3)

Chapter Two - The Journey Begins

“So Gandalf, tell me about this quest,” I say to the Wizard riding next to me on his light brown steed.
“Yes, well. You will be in the company of thirteen dwarves, they’re quite a merry gathering actually. Very high spirited, yet they lack good manners, you’ll get along with them just fine” He says with a smile, I can’t help but chuckle a little. Just then a question pops into my mind
“Why must we travel to the shire if the quest involves dwarves?”
“The quest is to reclaim the Lonely Mountain,” My mind automatically drifts off to a fiery scene, trees ablaze, people screaming and running for their lives. The stench of burning in the air, as black smoke clouds the sky and ash falling like rain. Horses whinny and snort in confusion and fright. The dragon's fire burns hotter than any fire created by man, or dwarf or elf.
“Erebor” I say softly staring into nothing.
“Yes. The dwarves who you will be accompanying, led by Thorin, seek to reclaim it from the Dragon Smaug. Now Smaug knows the scent of dwarf, but not of hobbit, we seek out a new companion in Hobbiton, a burglar, someone who can sneak around without being detected.” Gandalf says
“But why do you need me, what use am I?” I look to Gandalf with a confused expression. He pulls back on his horses reigns, and I do the same stopping a little ahead looking back at him, he rides up beside my black horse looking me right in the eyes.
“This quest is the one you’ve been searching for all your life. Take up your rightful place in the halls of your kin. No more roaming from town to town getting into drunken tavern fights, no more searching for what your heart aches for. Erebor was where you were born, your rightful place. Your home. That is what your soul longs for, that is what you search for day by day”
I think for a short moment as Gandalf looks at me as if I'm about to turn and head for the nearest tavern. I look to the dirt road ahead, then behind me, I then look back to the wizard.
“So, to Hobbiton?” I say with a smile, and he chuckles with a huge grin plastered on his face and I set my horse off into a trot.

By the time we arrive in Hobbiton at our destination night has already fallen. We ride up to a house with a lot of Dwarves standing around the door.
“I guess this is it” I say to myself as Gandalf dismounts.
I dismount and grab the reigns of both horses and Gandalf heads up to the house. I tie both horses to the tethering post next to food and water then follow after Gandalf. I go through the garden gate and as I walk up the stone steps to Gandalf. I notice the door open and all the dwarves previously at the door had fallen onto the floor inside. I see a young male hobbit looking rather fed up as I stand next to Gandalf. The dwarves quickly get back up and scramble inside, the hobbit following after the dwarves, Gandalf following the hobbit. I shrug and step forward into the door frame, reaching for the door to close it.
The dwarves are walking around bringing food from the pantry, and setting up a table, all the while the Hobbit, sounding rather frustrated keeps telling the dwarves to put everything back. I find Gandalf talking to himself and counting on his fingers.
“Gandalf, is everything alright?” I ask
“We appear to be one dwarf short” He replies
“He is late is all, he travelled north to a meeting of our kin, he will come” a bald darkly dressed dwarf with a bushy beard says then drinks from his mug of ale.
“Mr Gandalf” A voice comes from behind him. “A little glass of red wine as requested. It’s got a fruity bouquet”
“Cheers” Gandalf says and drinks it, he then looks at his empty glass and seems disappointed. He then looks back to me, I have an amused smile on my face. He smiles back at me with a chuckle.
“Get an old wizard a mug of ale would you” He says still smiling
I nod and walk past him into where the table is being set up. Swerving past several dwarves and grabbing a couple of mugs as I did. I get to the keg where a blonde and dark haired dwarf stand drinking from their mugs, leaning on the ale keg. Both mugs in my right hand I put them under the tap and turn it, filling one then the other paying no attention to the dwarves.
“Fili” The blonde says, and I look up after turning the tap off.
“and Kili”
“At your service” They both say in unison, bowing as they spoke.
I incline my head acknowledging them with a small bow, a mug now in each hand.
“A pleasure to make your acquaintance. If you’ll excuse me” I say turning around, walking away before either could say another word.
I find Gandalf where I left him and hand him a mug.
“Thank you. Now, let us introduce you to the company, shall we” He says putting his hand on the back of my neck as we walk to were all the dwarves are congregating.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope this one isn't too bad. Thank you for reading it I hope you enjoy the rest of the story. (Creative criticism welcome)