‹ Prequel: Fairy Tales

Ever After

Funeral

Ryane

"Jimmy,it's time to go." I said,walking from the bathroom now dressed.

"Whoa...do you have to wear all of that?"

"Yes. It's another custom. All successors of the throne have to wear whatever the previous ruler wore for formal occasions. This is what Alisha wore."

"That's kinda weird."

"I didn't make the custom,sweetie. Are you staying here or are you coming to the procession?"

"I'll just stay here. It's not my place to go. You'll do great." He smiled at me before kissing my cheek.

"I hope so. I'll meet you in the dining hall in an hour. I have to go."

I said nothing more as I headed outside to the front of the castle were all of Corrina was waiting,Alisha's body laying out for all to see. She was dressed in the exact same thing as myself.I stood on the steps before her.

"My dear people of Corrina,we are gathered here on this eve to mourn the loss of our great queen Alisha. Her rule was great and long and very prosperous. She was generous,and loving of her people and protected them with everything she had,like many before her. She will forever be in memory and in our heart. A moment of silence for our great queen."I spoke before bowing my head,everyone else doing the same.I waited a minute before lifting my head and speaking once more.

"As your new queen,I will strive for the excellence that Alisha brought to the throne and will see to it that you are all protected everyday from threats and that this land will continue to prosper for many more years to come."

Everyone cheered. "All hail Queen Rhiannon!"

I nodded to the guards,silently ordering them that it was time to take Alisha to the lake and burn her. The other faeries made a path as I led the way,the guards behind me carrying the board that had Alisha on it,then three faeries that were playing the Faery Death March,then the rest of the people.

It took maybe ten minutes to get to the lake where the guards lowered Alisha into a row boat that was awaiting there as everyone gathered.

"Rest now,Alisha. You are now one with the wind,the sky and the Earth."I spoke,lighting her on fire then pushing her out to the lake.

"Everyone,please,return to your home and feast in honor of our great queen. Mourn for her and remember her. You are dismissed."

I sat watching the fire on the boat as everyone slowly left besides the guards. They escorted me back about ten minutes later where I made my way to the dining hall. Jimmy was waiting for me along with my cousins and other faeries from the castle. I sat down at in the middle of the main table,Jimmy next to me before we were served.

"What are you gonna do now,honey?"He asked after a minute.

"I have to stay,I don't have a choice. I have to rule for at least three months so they can get everything ready for when I decide to step down,which I will. I'm not gonna stay here and rule when everyone else is back home. Besides,you have the band and everything you made back there too. And I don't want to raise the baby here. I was our child to be raised like we were,on Earth,in California."I smiled.

He smiled back before kissing my cheek and we finished eating.