Status: Complete!

Like it Was Before

Between Love and Hate

We pull back up to the camp in a reasonably companionable silence-Skynyrd has been nixed, but Shane is holding my hand, so I'd call it a draw. Everything feels different, okay again.
We'd needed to clear the air, was all. Shane drops my hand as soon as we've arrived back at camp and shuts the ignition off, bolting out of the Jeep, hitching up that stupid belt of his that I used to love to tease him about as he went. He's lost a bit of weight since this all began if he has to hitch it like that and for some reason it makes me sad to note this. "Just a reminder-boil before use."
He yells as I climb out behind him on the drivers side, wanting to stay close. Feeling clingly, quite frankly. The words have no sooner left his mouth than duel high-pitched screams erupt from the woods nearby, sending us all into over drive.
"Stay here," Shane bites off before leaving me behind, his shotgun at the ready.
Andrea's approached the Jeep and I reach over, heart-racing, to squeeze her hand.
"Should we unload the water?"
I shake my head, droplets of water from the ends of my hair, remnants of our run, flying off.
It's nice that her first instinct is to be helpful, but unloading the water wasn't the way to go about it. "They stay here in case we have to pick up and take off. We may not have time to grab anything, and everyone needs water, so why risk it, right?"
Before Andrea can respond, Amy burst out of the RV in a dead run. "What happened?"
She's gasping by the time she reaches us. "I was in the bathroom and I heard screams,"
Andrea and I look a each other before shrugging or shaking our heads. Neither one of us has any idea.
It is at this point that Amy makes an executive decision, deeming our lack of knowledge unacceptable and heads off after the men. For once, the two of us tag along after her, following the noise into a clearing, staying in sight of but well back from the walker.
"Dammit, Savannah Jane!"
I wince as Shane's voice cuts through the still air. He's pissed.
"I thought I told you-" All at once, the air's not still anymore and everyone freezes in place our eyes trained to the rustling bushes.
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I'm thinking something along the lines of 'What now?' when the younger Dixon steps forward. Everyone breathes a little easier at the sight of him, a first I think.
He's a pain in the ass, but we're glad he's back, squirrel cuisine, and all.
The situation is clearly under control once Daryl sends a bolt into the geek's head so Andrea, Amy and I begin our way back, the boys (And Lori, and the kids, all of whom seem safe) dragging along behind us.
Daryl's spouting his normal insensitive shit already so I count it as a near-miracle that we all make it back to camp before the subject of Merle comes up and of course, a full scale confrontation breaks out.
I'm careful to stay out of the way, more or less shying behind Glenn as first our furry dinner and then the fists start flying.
I flinch as Shane involves himself in this, practically choking Dixon out once he's gotten him onto the ground. Daryl's yelling at him that particular move is illegal and Shane tells him to file a complaint and I bite my lip, hard, to keep from laughing out loud, although I have to admit, watching my man take someone down like that, even someone I'm partially fond of...it's pretty hot, a fact I'm careful to keep to myself until I've separated from Glenn and Shane comes over, checking that I'm okay, scolding me for leaving the camp.
He smiles for a second when I blurt out what I'm thinking, letting my 'disobedience' roll.
"Later," Shane promises and then goes off to have his discussion with Rick.