Status: in progress

Another New Beginning

Chapter 5

Stefan and I headed down into the basement to check on a awake but weak Damon before school began.

"Where is my ring?" Damon asks looking at his hand from where he's lying face down on the ground of the dark cellar.

"You won't need it anymore." Stefan replies.

"How long have I been here?" He asks weakly.

"Three years." I answer at the same time as Stefan says. "Three days."

"Ha. Ha. Very funny Kali. What are you guys doing?" He replies sarcastically.

"During the dark ages when a vampire's actions threatened to expose or bring harm upon the entire race, they would face judgment. They sought to re-educate them rather than to punish them." I explained to him.

"You know what will happen if I don't... Feed on blood." Damon says coughing a little.

"You'll grow weaker and weaker. Eventually you won't be able to move or speak. In a week your skin will desiccate, and you'll mummify. A living corpse. Unable to hurt anyone. Ever." Stefan replies.

"So what, you're just going to leave me in the basement, forever?" Damon says coughing again.

"We have injected you with enough vervain to keep you weak. Once your circulation stops, I'll move you to the family crypt, and then in 50 years, we can re-evaluate." Stefan says back.

"I'm stronger than you think." Damon says trying to sit up and failing.

"You always have been. But you're not stronger than Kali or the vervain. And we both know it. I'm sorry. Didn't have to be this way." Stefan says as we leave the basement for school.

At the school Elena, Bonnie and I were standing by some lockers watching Caroline walking around passing out flyers.

"The sexy suds car wash is tomorrow. The football team and the band have committed. Well, not all the band. Just the ones who could pull off the bikini. I want, in your face, sexy. I mean, it's a fund raiser, for god's sake." She says talking to some random girls who are following her around.

"Unbelievable. It's like nothing happened." Elena says sighing.

"She's in denial." Bonnie replies.

"Hey." Stefan says coming over to us.

"Hey. You know, we gotta go. Be somewhere right now." Bonnie stutters as she grabs my hand and pulls us away.

We walked silently for a bit before I decided to strike up a conversation.

"So are you doing the car wash?" I ask her

"Yeah. Caroline is making me go." Bonnie says sighing. "Are you going?" She asks me.

"Oh noo..." I start.

"Noo! You have to go I can't deal with Caroline alone and Elena will be off in Stefan land." Bonnie replies making me laugh.

"Alright I'll go." I say nodding.

"Great. Wanna meet me at the grill later? Say five?" She asks smiling.

"Yeah that sounds great, I'll see you then." I say before walking into my math class.

Stefan and I arrived at the boarding house around 3:45 to check Damon. When we walked through the door I used my hearing to listen for Zach and found him down there with Damon. I quickly dropped my bags and ran down to the cellar.

When I got there Damon had his arms around Zach so I grabbed his hands and broke the wrists quickly then put my other arm through the bar to punch him in the face sending him flying into the wall. Then Stefan came into the room helping Zach stand up from where he fell.

"Keep it up, Damon. The more energy you expend, the faster you'll go." I say before leaving to go upstairs and get ready for the grill with Bonnie.

I arrived at the grill with Stefan where he promptly went to Elena's side to apologize for being late. http://www.polyvore.com/017/set?id=69136361 I looked around for Bonnie and couldn't find her anywhere so I decided to save Stefan who didn't seem to be having any luck with Elena.

"Hey. Have you seen Bonnie?" I ask her

Before she could answer though an old man came up to Stefan and I.

"I know you both. My God." He says looking between Stefan and I.

"I'm sorry?" Stefan replies just as confused as I am.

"I know you. How can it be?" He says.

"I think you have the wrong people, sir." I say smiling nicely.

"You haven't aged a day." He replies.

"I'm sorry. Excuse me." I say seeing Bonnie walk inside.

"Hey." She says waving.

"Hey." I say waving back and walking over to a table to sit with her.

"What was that about?" She asks sitting down and gesturing to the old man.

"Oh, Nothing just someone who thought he knew me, I didn't know him though. It was just a misunderstanding." I say as a waiter comes to our table...

The next day Stefan and I arrived at the car wash together. He went over to Elena who was sitting at the cash register with Caroline and I went over to Bonnie and Matt who were washing a black car.

"Hey guys." I say going to Bonnie's side.

"Hey. Nice suit. Totally sexy." She says.

I laughed." Well I didn't want a lecture from Caroline so here I am." I say doing a little twirl.

http://www.polyvore.com/016/set?id=68894347

"Come on help us with the car." Matt says throwing me a rag then looking over to a kissing Elena and Stefan.

"Uh-uh, no. None of that tortured pining stuff." Bonnie tells him.

"I'm just observing." Matt says defending himself.

"Mm-hmm. Oh. Tiki. This one's yours." Bonnie says as another car pulls up.

"Why do I always get the homely ones? Just to be clear, your car's a p.o.s. I mean, we can wash it, but it's still a p.o.s." Tiki says to the guy as he gets out of the car.

"You don't have to be rude." Bonnie says to her.

"Rude is uglying up the road with that junk." Tiki says walking away to a bucket of water.

I notice Bonnie staring at it in some sort of trance then it blows up in Tikis face making me laugh.

"Whoa! What the hell?" Tiki screams.

"Wet and wild, Tik" Matt says passing her a towel.

Bonnie shakes her head and I turn around and continue working on the car.

After a few more cars, joking and laughing around Tiki came back over to us.

"Sweeper duty." Tiki says holding a broom out to Bonnie.

"What?" Bonnie replies.

"We have to clean the pavement." Tiki says handing the Broom out to Bonnie.

"It's a car wash. By definition, the pavement's clean." I say standing up for Bonnie.

"But not dry." Tiki replies shoving the broom into Bonnie's hands.

"And I'm doing this why?" Bonnie asks her now holding the broom.

"Caroline bailed, so that leaves me in charge. Fabulous." She says walking away to start washing a car.

Bonnie stares at the car she's working on and it spontaneously catches on fire.

"Bonnie! Bonnie! Bonnie! Hey." I say shaking her.

"What just happened?" She asks me with a scared look on her face.

"You were in some kind of a trance." I told her.

"Did I do this?" She asks looking at the car.

"I think so, yeah." I replied.

"Nobody else saw, did they? Don't tell anybody. Please." Bonnie asks

"No. No one saw. I promise I won't tell." I said pulling her into a hug.

Stefan and I left the car wash after he couldn't find Elena and we went down to check on Damon where we found Zach dead and Damon gone.

"Zach! Oh, no, Zach..." Stefan said going down to the body and rocking back and forth. I knelt beside him and pulled him away from the body hugging him.

After we buried Zach outside underneath an oak tree Stefan said that he wanted to find Damon and kill him. I was going with him but only to stop him before he could do it. I'm no team Damon if thats what your thinking, If Stefan killed his brother it would destroy him, I couldn't let that happen to my best friend. Once we came back inside the house Stefan grabbed a wooden stake from inside a desk drawer that I had no idea was there and then we ran to the door opening it to see Elena standing there about to knock.

"What are both of you?" She says with tears in her eyes looking between Stefan and I.

Stefan and I exchange a look while he hides the stake behind his back and we turn back to face Elena's questioning gaze.