Status: in progress

Another New Beginning

Chapter 6

"What are both of you?" Elena repeated.

"You know." Stefan answers calmly.

"No, I don't." Elena replies shaking her head.

"Yes, you do, or you wouldn't be here." I tell her after I sigh.

"It's not possible. It can't be." Elena says backing up.

"Everything you know... And every belief that you have is about to change. Are you ready for that?" Stefan asks her.

"What are you?" She replies looking between us.

"We're vampires." I say bluntly.

"I shouldn't have come." She says backing up some more.

"No. Please." Stefan says walking forwards.

Elena tries to run away to her car, but I appear in front of her.

"No. No. How did you do that?" She asks with fear in her voice.

"It's a perk of being a vampire. You don't need to be afraid of us." I say with as much sincerity as I can.

"Let me go." She whispers.

"No. Elena, there's things that you have to know and understand." Stefan says appearing by my side.

"Let me go!" She screams.

"Elena, please." Stefan whispers as Elena runs into her car and drives off.

Stefan and I sped to Elena's house and went in through her bedroom window to wait for her. Stefan hid behind her door and I sat on her bed, his was a much more subtle approach.

Elena soon came running into the room not even noticing me on her bed and slams the door. She turns around and Stefan is in front of her.

"Elena. We would never hurt you. You're safe with us." Stefan tells her soothingly.

"All those animal attacks, those people who died-" She starts.

"No. That was Damon!" I say coming over to her.

"Damon?"

"Yes. I don't drink human blood. That's not how I choose to survive. Kalina only drinks from blood bags, but Damon drinks from people! I'll explain everything to you, but I beg you, Elena, do not tell anybody." Stefan says with a pleading tone in his voice.

"How can you ask me that?" She replies backing up into the wall.

"Because you knowing this is dangerous for so many reasons. You can hate us, but I need you to trust us." Stefan says walking towards her.

"Just go. Just go, please. Go. If you mean me no harm, then you'll go!" She says turning her head away.

"I never wanted this." Stefan says to her as we leave out the window.

Stefan and I arrived at the boarding house. He was visibly upset. I put my hand on his shoulder in silent comfort when his cellphone rang.

"Hello?" He says answering it.

"I want my ring." I hear Damon's voice on the other end.

"Where are you?" Stefan asks him.

"I'm at the sizzler. I had the buffet. Where's my ring?" He replies sarcastically.

"I don't have it. Where are you? What have you done?" Stefan asks him again.

"No, what have you done? You're the one that locked me in the basement and starved me, so whatever I've done; whoever I've sucked dry is on you, buddy." Damon replies.

"You're being careless. How many more animal attacks is this town gonna believe, huh?" Stefan answers.

"I know how to cover my tracks, Stefan. Where's my ring?" Damon repeats.

"I gave it to Zach to hide. Probably shouldn't have killed him." Stefan replies.

" ... Ah, you almost got me. Where is it?" Damon answers sounding angrier.

"I'll get it back, but I need time." Stefan tells him.

"What, did you FedEx it to Rome?! Where is it? I want my ring, Stefan, or my next stop's Elena's." Damon threatens.

"I already want you dead. Don't give me another reason to make it happen." Stefan threatens back.

"Don't give me another reason to rip you apart."

"Yeah? Is that gonna be before or after you get your ring back?" Stefan replies.

"Just get it." Damon says hanging up.

Stefan and I stood outside Elena's window to guard her and her family from Damon. I had changed before we got here. polyvore.com/019/set?id=69968100 In the morning Stefan got a text message from Elena saying to meet her at a coffee place. We followed her there when she left and then walked over to a table she was walking towards. The three of us stared at each other for a few moments before we sat down.

"You said you would explain everything. That's why I asked you both to meet me here. When you Google "vampire," you get a world of fiction. What's the reality?" she asks jumping into it.

"We can tell you whatever you wanna know." I reply.

"I know you eat garlic." She says.

"Yes." Stefan answers

"And somehow, sunlight's not an issue." She says as a waitress arrives at our table.

"Hi, here are your drinks." She says handing us coffees we had ordered before we sat down.

"Thank you." Elena says to the waitress as she leaves.

"We have rings that protect us." Stefan says as we both put are hands up to show her. Mine is on my ring finger on my right hand.

"Crucifixes?"

"Decorative." I reply.

"Holy water?"

"Drinkable." I say taking a sip of my coffee.

"Mirrors?"

"Myth." Stefan answers.

"You said you don't kill to survive. You drink blood bags." Elena says looking between us.

"Animal blood keeps me alive, but not as strong as Damon. He can be very powerful." Stefan replies.

"I go to a blood bank and walk out with 50 bags or more of blood and put them in a cooler. Problem solved." I tell her winking.

"And yet you let him get involved with Caroline?" Elena says with anger in her tone.

"Forcing Damon not to do something is much more dangerous, believe me." Stefan answers.

"He was hurting her!" Elena whisper yells.

"He was feeding on her. He was able to take away her memories of being bitten using a form of mind compulsion. She never knew what was happening to her. If he wanted to kill her, he would have." I explain to her.

"Is that supposed to make it ok?" She replies.

"No. No, none of this is ok, Elena. I know that." Stefan answers.

"Are there any others, aside from you both and Damon?" She asks

"Not in Mystic Falls; not anymore." Stefan says.

"Not anymore?" Elena repeats.

"There was a time when this town was... very much aware of vampires, and it didn't end well for anybody. That's why it's important that you don't tell anyone." I say to her sincerely.

"I can't promise that." Elena says with a shake of her head.

"Elena... Give us today. We will answer any questions that you have, and when it's over, you can decide for yourself what you wanna do with what you know. It'll be your choice." Stefan says to her and she nods.

Elena drove us through the woods to the old ruins of Salvatore manor where Stefan hid Damon's ring.

"Stop here." Stefan says.

"What are we doing here?" She asks as we get out of the car.

"I want to show you something." Stefan says as we walk forwards over vine covered stone ruins.

"In the middle of nowhere?" Elena snaps looking around.

"This... Didn't used to be nowhere. Used to be my home." Stefan says looking around deliberately leaving out this wasn't ever really my home.

"It looks so..." Elena trails off

"Old? It's because they are." Stefan picks up.

"Wait. How long have you..." She asks

"I've been 17 years old since 1864." Stefan says turning to face her.

"Oh, my god. Wait, you said your home. What about Kali?" Elena says turning to face me.

"I arrived here in 1864. I have been a vampire much longer than Stefan has..." I say sighing. "Elena, I have been 18 years old for 936 years. "I tell her bluntly making her gasp seemingly speechless.

"You said you wanted to know. We aren't gonna hold anything back. Half a century before the boarding house was even built, this was my family's home. Damon and I... We were both born here. The Salvatore brothers, best friends." Stefan says pulling me into a memory

Flashback 1864

Katerina and I had been at the Salvatore manor for a few weeks now. We have played the girls who lost their parents tragically in a fire perfectly. We changed our names to Katherine and Kalina Peirce. I still think of her as Katerina but i am sure I'll get used to it eventually. We were walking through the house on our way outside to see the men she had set her sights on, the Salvatore brothers. As long as it didn't expose us I had no problem with her toying with them. I too have had my fair share of men that i've played with in the past. I never much understood it; but I've always felt like I've been waiting for the right one, the love of my life. No matter how silly it sounds I can't help but want a love like that. My parents had it, I thought I would as well when I married; but nothing ever turns out the way you want it.

"They are both very handsome don't you agree girls." Katherine asked Emily and I bringing me away from my thoughts and towards the door where we could see the Salvatore brother's ruff housing.

"Who needs rules? Mind if we join you?" Katherine asks them as we come out of the house apparently eavesdropping on there conversation.

"Uh, well, you could, uh- you could get hurt. My brother likes to play rough." Stefan stutters out.

"Somehow, I think that you play rougher." Katherine says snatching the ball from Stefan and grabbing my hand to run away from them laughing.

"You knew Katherine in 1864? You're her sister? Damon made it seem like..." Elena stutters out.

"Kalina is not Katherine's sister they said that to make things easier. The same way she does with me. Damon was trying to make you think that... I was still heartbroken. He saw that I was happy with you, and he wanted to ruin it." Stefan explains.

"All because you loved the same women 145 years ago?" Elena asks.

"She wasn't just any girl." Stefan says dragging me into another memory.

Flashback 1864

Stefan was chasing us around the garden maze. Katerina and I held our dresses off the ground with our hands. Although Katherine pretends not too when we speak of it. I know she really does care for Stefan, I do as well he has become a very good friend to me. The only problem was he wasn't aware of the fact we were vampires. We soon came to a statue and then stopped faking tiredness.

"Ha! I win. What's my prize?" Katherine flirts with him.

"What would you like it to be?" asks Damon who appears kneeling on a bench.

"They extended your leave?" Stefan smiles at his brother.

"I was simply having too much fun to return to battle." Damon replies.

"Your commitment to the confederacy is inspiring." Stefan says walking over and hugging him.

"Well, this works out wonderfully for us." Katherine says.

"How's that, Miss Katherine?" Damon asks.

"Now I'll have both of you here to keep me entertained. First and foremost, I'll need someone to escort me to the founder's ball." Katherine says as we walk arm in arm away from them.

"With pleasure."" I would be honored." Stefan and Damon replied quickly at the same time.

"The smart and kind Salvatore brothers both coming to my rescue. How will I ever choose? Well whoever I don't go with will have the pleasure of escorting my sister Kalina." Katerina replies surprising me as we walk away.

"I have no desire to go." I whispered to Katerina as we walked away.

"I know. This will give Damon an excuse to come and stare at me all night." She replies giggling.

I smile and laugh in return. She has become so much like me in mischief we really could be sisters.

We continued to walk around the old estate.

"She chose me. I escorted her to the ball at the original Lockwood mansion." Stefan says continuing to tell the story.

"The first founder's party... Where you signed the registry." Elena says.

"I didn't care that I had gotten something that my brother wanted. I didn't even care if it hurt him. I only knew that I wanted her." Stefan replies.

"Yes. I had the pleasure of going with Damon that night." I say lightly slapping Stefan's arm teasingly, He knew I had zero fun that night.

"So he was upset" Elena says observing our antics.

"That's the thing about Damon. He doesn't get mad he gets even. What Damon wants, Damon usually gets. I didn't know it at the time, but... Turns out that night... Katherine was with him, too." Stefan tells her sadly.

"So he stole her from you, not the other way around?" Elena asks.

"Turns out she wasn't ours to steal." Stefan says with a faraway look in his eyes.

"Katherine and I were vampires. Stefan and Damon didn't know. Only a select few knew what we were." I clarify for Elena.

"She could control my mind; and Damon's. She compelled each of us to keep the secret from the other. She wanted all of us to be together. Forever. Didn't work out that way, but... Damon and I, looks like we're stuck with each other... Like it or not.." Stefan says.

"Why didn't you stop her?" Elena asks turning to me.

"Stefan asked me the same thing." I say sighing." Katherine and I had been friends for more than two hundred years before that. I wasn't going to ruin it for two human men that were her latest play toys.. No offense Stefan." I say smiling at him.

"None taken." He replies pulling out Damon's ring from underneath a stone ruin.

"Is that Damon's ring?" Elena asks.

"We took it from him, but we have to give it back." Stefan tells her standing up straight.

"No, don't, Stefan. Keep it hidden." Elena pleads.

"Elena, if I don't give it to him, he'll retaliate in the only way that he knows he can hurt me." Stefan explains.

"And how is that?" She asks

"By hurting you." He says sadly.

We were silent a few more moments before Elena spoke up. "You said Katherine used mind control. Do either of you ever do that to me?"

"No, neither of us necklace, it contains an herb called vervain. It protects you from being compelled. I wanted to protect you from Damon's influence. But I also wanted to... Protect you from me. Elena, you should never take that necklace off... Because no matter what happens after today, no matter how you feel about me... You'll know that you were free to make your own choice." Stefan told her as we walked back to the car.

Elena, Stefan and I entered the Gilbert house where we saw Vicki, Matt and Jeremy.

"What's going on?" Elena asked them looking at the mess around the room.

"She's really messed up." Matt says looking at his sister.

Elena goes to move towards her but I put my arm out so she can't. "Elena, back up."

I walked over to Vicki and looked into her eyes seeing the familiar glassy and wild look she had."Vicki, look at me. Focus. You're gonna be fine. Everything's gonna be fine. Guys, take her up to bed. Shut the blinds. She's gonna be ok. Come on. Come on." I say to Matt and Jeremy who take Vicki upstairs.

I turn back to Elena. Stefan and I share a meaningful look.

"You know what's wrong with her?" Elena asks.

"Yeah." Stefan replies.

"What is it?" She asks.

"She's transitioning." Stefan says leaving the what part out.

"Transitioning to what?" Elena asks.

" A vampire." I tell her.

"What?" Elena whispers.

"Damon must have gotten to her. She's new. She hasn't completed her transformation yet." Stefan explains

"H-how does she do that?" Elena stutters out.

"She has to feed on human blood." I tell Elena bluntly.

"And what if she doesn't?" She replies.

"She'll die." I tell her.

"She may only have a few hours." Stefan says.

"She's upstairs with him right now." Elena says looking toward the stairs.

"It's ok. She doesn't know what's happening to her yet." Stefan says trying to sooth her.

"So when is she gonna know?" Elena wonders.

"Right now, she doesn't remember anything. A part of her is still human, but slowly, the deeper she gets into the transition, the memories will start to come back, and then she'll know she has to make the choice." I tell her.

"The same choice the both of you made?" Elena asks.

"There isn't always a choice, Elena." I snap at her.

We were sitting in the living room of Elena's house silently letting Elena take everything in when Matt and Jeremy ran down the stairs.

"She was fine, and then she just- she just freaked out." Jeremy tells us

"I'm gonna go look for her. Call me if you hear anything." Matt says leaving the house.

"We can track her." Stefan tells Elena.

" Go." She replies nodding.

Stefan and I both ran out of the house to search for her.

Stefan and I had searched all over town for Vicki. The only place left was the cemetery where we decided to split up and cover more ground.

I stopped for a second and used my hearing to listen for any movement when I heard gunshots so I ran towards them as Damon bit into Logan Fells neck. I kneeled down beside Stefan and pulled out the wooden bullet that was lodged inside his chest.

" It's wood. They know. If anyone's gonna kill you, it's gonna be me. My ring." Damon says as I look at the bullet with the light coming through the trees from the moon.

"No! No! Vicki!" Stefan starts yelling.

I turn my head and watch as Vicki feeds from Logan Fell and then runs off.

"Oops." Damon says picking something off the ground and then leaving.

"Come on Stef, I'll catch you a bunny and then let's go home it's been a long day." I say helping Stefan stand.

"No, You go I have to see Elena." He says with a shake of his head.

" Alright. I'll see you later." I say giving him a hug and then going home.