The Wolf Girl

The Wolf Girl - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Still bitter from earlier, Matt trudged home. His wife would be upset for sure, as his dinner had somehow escaped. He was still baffled by how the creature had gotten away behind his back. Oh well. No point in gettin' upset about it anyways. There are plenty of wolves 'round here.

The hunter was greeted by a pair of soft, small arms around him as he walked through the door. He leaned down and kissed his wife.

"Hey. I think we have to eat something else tonight-" The smell of grilled fish hit Matt, in a pleasant way.

"Don't worry, honey. I've already got food on the stove. You relax and get settled. It should be done any moment." Matt nodded and took off his shoes, heavy coat, and put his hunting supplies away. In the distance, he could faintly hear the howling of wolves, sounding much closer and louder than usual. That was a bit peculiar... Shrugging it off, Matt went to go check on his wife.

"Jenna? Is dinner done?" He called. No answer. Where could she be? "Is dinner ready?" He repeated, a little nervous. As Matt walked to the basement to the deep freezer, he saw noticed that it was wide open, and a thawing bag of carrots were on the floor. It looked as if someone ripped it.

And the back door was wide open as well. Why would Jenna leave out the door? It didn't make any sense... Matt peeked out the back door and saw a thick trail of blood leading out into the snow.

No.

No way.

She couldn't be dead! Matt followed the trail to find his wife. She was bleeding, ripped at the throat, and her eyes were wide in terror as she lied there, lifeless. Matt cried. This must be a dream...

The sound of wolves were much closer now, and he got up, dragging his wife into the house. A wolf ran up to him and knocked him to the ground as his pack followed. And a girl. Wait... James mentioned a girl with wolves. Oh, God. The dogs started to tear his flesh apart as he screamed in the night. Blood soaked the once-pure white snow. The girl, however, just stood there.

And smiled.

________________________________________

James began to worry when his friend Matt failed to answer the phone several times. He had found the dead wolf! Somehow it made its way back into the forest. Somehow. James's wife rested a hand on his shoulder with pleading eyes.

"Please. Give it a break. He's probably in bed by now, sleeping." James reluctantly put the phone back in its receiver.

"You're right. I'll tell him at work tomorrow." He sighed and went with his wife to bed.

Five missed calls.