Sequel: Apocalyptic Dream
Status: Stay tuned guys, for the sequel coming out May 1st!

Apocalyptic Love

Quest for Dominance

The world felt no different than it had before the King of the Jungle had fallen. There were no cheering crowds gathering to praise us. There was no celebration or pride amongst our small group. The birds sung a little louder. Rodents dared to creep out of the earth. And there was no screech of the banshee clan’s approach. We were safe, for now, and we had successfully earned our way back on the ladder for dominance.

Stumbling through the lightened jungle, we scurried wearily through the livening trees, eager to get back to the safe zone. Only I hesitated, my mind drifting back to Jimmy, and the guilt wracking my brain at having to explain his absence to Emily. I hated the feeling. The heart wrenching twist that signalled the humanity still left inside of me.

The hushed silence that met us as I reluctantly crept into the little hollow was spine tingling. Goosebumps crawled along my skin as I avoided the accusing eyes of the women watching us, knowing the obvious question at the forefront of all of their minds.

“Oh, thank goodness you’re all back!” Emily breathed, eagerly watching as Jared stepped in behind me. Her fingers smoothed over her slightly rounded belly, comforting it lovingly, and I knew then that this was not going to go over well. “How did you do?” she asked, bouncing on her toes to see over Ellis’s head.

A sharp intake of breath stung my lungs as I watched Emily’s face change from excited to confused, as Ellis flanked my side opposite Jared. Her eyes darted from me, to Jared, to Ellis, and then me again; all the while understanding began registering on her face. It was at this point that her face fell, her hand immediately covering the choking sob exploding from her mouth as she shook her head in disbelief and distress.

Anna was instantly by Emily’s side, rubbing circles over the girl’s back soothingly as Jimmy’s wife broke down in hysterics.

“Why?” She screamed at nobody in particular. “Why did he have to go? Why didn’t he listen to me?”

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I watched the distraught girl scream questions into Anna’s shoulder, clutching at the woman in desperation. My heart was shattering at the sight of Emily’s broken love, my thoughts wandering to those closest to me. Doc was already gone, but Anna and Jared; they were still here. They were with me now. I’d had nine years to accept that I was alone. That the Doc and his family were dead. But now that they were standing before me, my feelings had returned.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

I groaned inwardly at the accusing tone, knowing my chances at fleeing unseen had gone from slim to none. At the depressing state of the humans inside the safe zone, I’d hoped to escape before the group had noticed I was even missing. I inclined my head, turning slightly towards the boy as the moment set a sense of déjà vu shivering through me.

“Wherever the hell I want,” I answered with a sigh. “This is my jungle.”

Jared’s lips tilted at the obvious repetition of the day he had discovered who I really was. “Is this some ploy to get me out here alone?” he asked with a raise of his brow. “Because you could have just asked. I’m all for adding munchkins to our numbers.”

I turned then, eyes narrowing as I held in the laugh that threatened to burst through my lips. “Very funny, Joker,” I smiled, shaking my head. “But you’re the last person I’m breeding with.”

He gasped mockingly, his hand clutching at his chest as if I’d actually hurt his feelings. But the curl at the corners of his lips were a clear indication that he found my words amusing, and in seconds he was shrugging off his fake shock with a laugh.

“Hey, I’m all you got, sweetheart,” Jared murmured with a smirk. “In this fucked up world, you haven’t got much of a selection for repopulation.”

I gave him a dirty look. “Well, it looks like our species is doomed.”

The playful jabs sent us in a short bout of laughter, making me enjoy the moment so much that I forgot exactly what I had been intending to do, if only for a second. By the time my laughter died down, an awkward silence ensued, and our fun had come to an end.

“So that’s it then?” he asked, quietly, the smile dying from his lips. “You’re really staying here?”

I gave him a small nod, my fists clenching tightly as I turned away from him, tears brimming my eyes. “I can’t do this,” I whispered, swallowing the lump in my throat and brushing the water from my eyes. “Any of it. It’s too much, and I’m better off on my own.”

My muscles tensed as Jared stepped closer, knowing that a single touch would have the fatality of me caving in. I was already on the brink of ditching my plans and running into the comforting embrace of Jared’s arms. When Jared reached a hand out to me, I noticeably flinched.

“There’s nothing to be afraid of, Quinn,” Jared murmured, retracting his hand. “I’m not going to leave you here alone. Mum would kill me.”

Giving the boy a half hearted smile, I sighed. We both knew what was coming and I could see him open his mouth in protest. Before he could say a word, I turned on my heel and stepped closer.

“I can’t, Jared,” I whispered, brushing my fingers across his cheek. “I can’t let what happened to Emily, happen to me. I can’t lose you.” I paused, feeling a muscle twitch in Jared’s jaw. “And I can’t lose Anna,” I finished.

Jared was silent for a moment, probably contemplating my words as his eyes studied mine. I, in turn, memorised the man in front of me. The shape of his lips and the memory of their touch. His steely blue eyes hidden beneath the messy mop of dark hair. I wanted to remember my friend as he was right at that moment. If only he would smile.

Sadness permeated the boy’s features as he watched me, and I hoped he had finally come to the realisation that I was leaving. I gave him a small smile, brushing my hair to the side nervously, not quite knowing how I should say goodbye though I knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted to kiss him. To feel those soft lips against mine. Almost as if he could read my mind, Jared grinned, causing a frown out of me.

“Sorry, beautiful, but you’re not going anywhere,” he said lightly, and my eyes widened. Before I could move an inch, Jared bent forward and snatched me into his grasp. A startled squeal yelped through my lips as Jared’s arm wrapped behind my knees, his shoulder digging gently into my waist as he straightened.

“What are you doing?” I squeaked, pushing futilely at the boy’s back.

“Did you really think I’d let you go? When I’ve only just found you again?” He gave a short laugh. “Think again Harls. If I let you go now, I’d go crazy worrying.”

With that, Jared carried my back into the small hollow, ignoring Ellis’s raised brow and setting me down beside Anna and Emily. The bastard. He knew me too well, and yet, he didn’t know me well enough. He had me now, but he couldn’t guard me forever.

***

My home was dark by the time I reached it. It had been a half a day’s walk through the jungle from the safe zone, and I was surprisingly relaxed during the trek. The sounds of the various jungle animals was somehow comforting. Whether it was because it indicated the absence of the King of the Jungle, or whether my decision had impacted my mood, I wasn’t sure. What I did know, was the melody they played together created its own sweet lullaby to my ears, whispering through me gracefully.

I hadn’t stayed long. I’d gathered the belongings I’d stored in my secret space and set back out into the night. I couldn’t be sure where I was going, or whether I would find Jared and Anna again. They would be gone by now, with or without me, they would have left. The mere thought that I’d been left behind had me feeling lost. God, had I changed that much? I only hoped I was right in assuming I knew anything about Jared and his mind, guiding myself to a much different rendezvous. He hadn’t wanted to leave me, and if I didn’t know any better, he would come hunting for me.

The problem was, he didn’t know my home.

The moon shone down in a singular column of light through the destructed clearing. Stars dotted the sky like a blanket, illuminating the jungle in a beautiful glow. I could see everything in the shadows, but it was a white square marking a tree that caught my attention. My heart thumped at the familiar sheet, rustling lightly in the wind, and I could already feel the smile dawning on my face as I tore the note off the tree and scanned the words.

Be here, when the sun is mid-sky. I will be waiting.

Clutching the note to my chest, I closed my eyes and smiled. Excitement flourished in my body, eagerness filling my heart with its butterflies as I leaned back against the tree to wait.

This was the beginning. The beginning of our quest for re-domination.