Left Behind

Home

The silvery moon reached its highest point for the night and now rested to observe the figures below. This was usually a time for creatures of the night, the nocturnal, and the unpleasant things that crept around under cover of darkness harbouring nasty thoughts and dwelling on revenge.

There were only two guards on watch that particular evening. Things had been quiet and settled in the small Lake-town in recent years and so a mass of watchmen seemed unnecessary. Perhaps if there had been more sets of eyes on lookout that evening, the small hooded figure would have been spotted. Only perhaps, for this was no ordinary skulker. The mysterious figure possessed cunning and stealth beyond the skills of a mere lake-man -and these two on watch were certainly not of the same calibre as Bard the Bowman.

Moving amongst the shadow, the figure was drawn to the merry voices and drunken laughter erupting from the guesthouse. Silently, they waited for a perfect opportunity to present itself, when they could get into the hall unseen by the company of thirteen dwarves and one hobbit who was very far away from home. Though three were already snoring in a heavy drunken slumber.

Each member of the company -including beyond questionable doubt the little hobbit who currently squirreled away crusty bread into his trouser pocket as a snack before bed- all had suffered on their way here. They had reached exhaustion and been hunted like dogs, beaten and bled, but they had ever fought courageously, never losing hope or more importantly - sight of their quest.

This moment in Lake town was one of rare refreshment on their journey, which was nearing it's conclusion, at least for their weary feet reaching the end of their path. For the biggest obstacle and almost impossible feat, lay in the overthrowing of the great dragon Smaug. So it did the dwarves good to snatch these rare moments of merry when they could. Not even the usually solemn one of the company could deny them that and he had even cracked a smile or two this day.

This proud dwarf was Thorin Oakenshield, who felt the end drawing near in his noble bones. He knew not how this would end, but he would fight with every breath to reclaim his birthright. If he could have completed his perilous task alone to spare the plight of his friends, family, brothers in arms, he would have done so.

It was Thorin himself who was the target of the hooded figure. The figure moved in the shadow untouched by the light of the roaring fire. Thorin, always on guard and ready for battle, was caught completely unawares by the deathly sharp dagger pressed against his neck.

"You're growing slow in your old age Thorin."

The noise in the hall ceased at once. Kili was first to act, with Fili close behind as they were the quickest two on their feet. The figure didn't move to prevent Kili pulling down the hood to reveal the face. A shock of fiery red hair fell loose and the serious, yet beautiful face broke into a bright, cheerful smile.

"Ariana!" The brothers beamed. She had replaced the dagger in its sheath and leaped on Fili and Kili.

"Is this your brave and perilous mission? To get blind drunk at every watering hole on Middle earth?" She laughed.

"It's an essential part of any mission." Kili answered most seriously, before bursting into another chorus of laughter with Fili and Ariana. She had no time to greet the rest of her friends properly. Thorin's face had changed from surprise and fallen sour.

"Leave us." He ordered. Those who knew what lay between the two would have gone willingly anyway once they had had chance to greet their friend, and the rest dared not argue. On their way out, they raised the sleepers, who complained grumpily and retired to their sleeping quarters.

Once alone, Thorin turned to Ariana in fresh fury. "Why have you come?"

"Why did you leave without a word? I deserve an explanation." Her frustration and anger made the words shake as they left her mouth.

"You've travelled so far for so little?" Thorin hissed. "Go home."

"Then you don't think I'm worthy of an explanation?"

He had been avoiding her eyes, for fear his resolve would crumble, but in the end he couldn't resist and his strong resolve was lost. "I didn't tell you because I knew you would insist on coming."

"And why shouldn't I share in the fun? I can defend myself better then Bifur and Bombur combined."

"I won't argue with that," Thorin sighed and looked into the dancing fire. "Return home Ariana, and when all of this is over I shall send for you."

"No," she said defiantly. "Is it because you believe this mission you prize above all else is no task for a female?"

His temper flared, how could she say such things? They were both fiercely dominant, neither wished to back down. She despised taking orders, so how could he make her see that this was too dangerous - she could handle herself yes, he was not placating her when he agreed she was skilled in battle, but he could not risk his heart.

"It was not easy for me to bare my soul to you Ariana. I told you all my secrets, I told you of my longing to see my true home again and reclaim it from that venomous worm in the name of my ancestors." He glanced at her but avoided meeting her eyes, "You knew I would leave someday."

"You left me behind." She was aware her words sounded like those of a petulant child but she couldn't help herself. It was the concern that should have warmed her, but only served to irritate her. The very words hurt Thorin. To him they didn't sound petulant, she sounded hurt and it was his fault.

"No, you can't think that Ariana," he had softened, "I can't risk you getting hurt, I can't lose you along with everything else."

"I can help you."

"Are you too pigheaded to see that I love you?" he snapped. This shut her up. "I know you can look after yourself and don't need my protection, but if you're around then my first concern will always be your safety."

Ariana wanted to argue against this concern, for she thought it unnecessary, but she could see how much the rare admittance of feeling cost him. He didn't like appearing vulnerable, they were similar in that way. Sometimes there similarities could be a curse, each knowing how to make the other one tick - in good ways and bad. Yet they also balanced each other out, Thorin's commanding nature stood no chance against Ariana's humour.

"I can't believe you called me pigheaded," Ariana scoffed, "take a look in the mirror."

Thorin grabbed her cloak and pulled her towards him, it was such a fierce move she didn't realize her breathing had ceased because he had taken her by surprise.

"I love you." Thorin repeated, the faintest hint of a smirk on his lips over the fact he had succeeded in silencing her. He kissed her roughly, savouring the taste of her lips after months of separation.

When they parted Ariana was able to put words to actions, "I love you too." A smirk of her own struck her lips, "but I'm going to need some more convincing before I think about going home."
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to Grump Bunny aka Brittany for being so patient. I'm sorry it took me an age.