Dragonshire

Nemonra (Chapter 3)

Dav'id landed in front of a large palace, setting me down carefully. He changed back and lead me into the palace, until we ended up in a large room. It was the room from my dream, and just like before there were two figures on the thrones. Only this time I could clearly what they looked like.
The woman had long silver hair that flowed to her waist. She wore a dress made out of some silky silver material I couldn't name, but it flowed like water around her legs. She was pale with small, delicate features and arched eyebrows. Her fingers were long and slender, as delicate looking as the features of her face. While these things all indicated that she was, well, delicate, her eyes said otherwise. They were fierce and penetrating. The were a glassy purple that seemed cold and demanding.
The man had on clothing similar to the woman's, only his were breeches and shirt. He had a full beard and mustache that made him look intimidating, but his cool purple eyes and laugh lines said otherwise. A person's eyes certainly can tell a lot about them.
When the figures caught sight of me, their eyes simultaneously changed to orange.
Did I say person's eyes? I meant dragon's.
"What have you brought us Dav'id?" The woman's voice was thick with disapproval.
Dav'id stepped forward. "It could be nothing, Mother, or it could be our salvation."
Mother?! What the heck!
"Elaborate." The woman gestured for him to speak.
Dav'id took a deep breath. "You see, she's sixteen and, well, the odds are astronomical you must admit. Normally the 'sacrifices'," he chuckled a little at the last word, "Are older. But this one is sixteen. What are the odds, really? Just when the time of the proficy has arrived and called for a sixteen year old, that she comes to us?"
He was right about the age thing; normally the age of a sacrifice would be older, but we'd run quite low on elders this year. But a proficy? What was he talking about?
I shook my head. This was too weird. I caught sight of a cat as it slouched into an open doorway behind the thrones. It had fluffy white fur and an orange stripe down it's back, and orange ears. It's eyes were blue, and quite intelligent. Of course, most animals are smarter than they look. I just know that because I talk to them a lot.
"Dav'id, really, a human?" the woman leaned forward, staring intently at her son.
"Yes, Mother, I know, but isn't it possible?" Dav'id was using hand gestures to emphasize his point.
"But the proficy....."
"Doesn't specify on species."
I tuned out of the argument. I couldn't understand it anyways. The cat walked forward, jumping on the man's throne's arm. He pet the cat and it purred. The cat then jumped off, and walked towards me. It sat in front of me, looking up at me with those intelligent blue eyes.
You are not like most humans, It said. It's voice was distinctly male.
I stared back at it, and answered it in it's mind so I wouldn't have to say it out loud. And I might not have wanted Dav'id to know I can talk to animals.
No, I said, I'm not.
The cat's eyes widened. You can understand me.
Yes.
You truly are the Child of Nature. Not as arrogant as the others.
I blinked. Explain please, good cat.
My name is Nemonra.
I nodded. Explain pleas, Nemonra.
The cat sighed, an odd sound for a cat. You are the Child of Nature.
What is that?
The Child of Nature is a figure in a proficy that belongs to us animals. Surely you have heard of her.
I thought about it, and realized that I did. One of the birds in the village had told it to me once. I thought that was just a story.
No, Nature Child, it is a proficy that the humans were told long ago and forgot. Only the animals still remember. Do you know it still?
I nodded again. The curse of old shall return again, and wipe out the animals in the land. Only the animals know that a river of blood shall flow. Lest the Child of Nature fight, the world shall be lost to an endless night. The Nature Child, wild and free, shall speak to the animals, for only she can see. She knows what comes in their future, only she can fight the creature. With their help she shall end the war, save the animals and species galore. Born with human blood only she can stop destruction's flood.
Very good.
What does this have to do with me?
Very much, Nature Child.
Why do you call me that?
Are you not the Child of Nature?
I don't believe I am.
Can you not see into the future; can you not speak with the animals?
I can.
Then how is it not you?
It just isn't.
How can you be so sure?
My brow furrowed. I wasn't sure how to answer that one. I'm just......I'm just not. I'm an ordinary human girl who just lost her way home, so to speak.
Then how is it you can speak to animals? And how do you have prophetic dreams?
I didn't answer.
You see, you may have some human blood, but there is more.
'Some'?
Nemonra made an odd sound that I supposed was laughter. In time you shall learn.
He walked up and ran his body along my legs, purring, before turning around and exiting the way he came in.
I sighed. Cryptic cat. When I realized that I couldn't hear anyone speaking, I looked around and saw that everyone was staring at me.
"Um," I said, suddenly uncomfortable with three pairs of grey eyes watching me. "Did I miss something?"
Dav'id turned to his Mother. "You see!" He gestured towards me. "Tell me she's a normal human!"
The woman stared at me. "You're right. She is not a normal human.
Dav'id grinned triumphantly and turned back to me. "So, shall I show you to your rooms?"
I blinked. Had I missed something? "What?"
"Your rooms, silly girl." He laughed, his eyes flashing between yellow and green, then fixating on yellow. He absolutely emanated happiness.
"Yeah, sure."
"Come on then." He took my arm and steered me back through the door we had entered, which was at the front of the room.
Nemonra came back into the hall and followed us out, rubbing up against my legs.
"Um, Dav'id?" I asked, as he lead me down the passages.
"Yes?" He turned to me, continuing down the hall.
"What exactly did you just sign me up for?"
He grinned. "There is a prophecy taking place at this present time, and I believe that you may have a part in it."
"And that part would be?"
"I'll explain later, in the mean time let's get you settled. I think you'll be spending a long time with us. And you'll have to meet the other guests."
I raised my brows. "Other guests?"
"Yes, more for me to explain later."
"Don't worry, I'll just ask...." I trailed off. I'd been about to say Nemonra, but I still didn't want him knowing about my prophetic dreams and being able to speak with animals.
"Ask who?"
"No one. So, I'm part of some prophecy?" I'm a master at changing subjects.
He grinned. "You certainly do know how to change the subject."
Maybe not as much of a master as I thought.
"Yes, you are part of a prophecy, and apparently my parents believe you are too."
"Who are your parents?"
He hesitated. "They are.....the King and Queen of this kingdom."
I stopped in my tracks. "KING and QUEEN." I looked up at him. "Then aren't you a........"
"Prince, yes."
Great, that just made him even more unattainable. "Wonderful."
His eyes changed black. "Does that upset you?" He sounded upset himself.
I sighed. "Does it matter?"
"I'd like to think you think well of me."
I raised an eyebrow. "Why?"
He shrugged. "I don't know, but I just do." His eyes turned abruptly to grey. "I wonder why that is?"
It was my turn to shrug. "Don't ask me, I have no idea."
We started walking again, and I was lead to a door of thick, dark wood. Dav'id opened the door, and we stepped inside. The room had a blue canopy bed with a mattress of stuffed feathers. The quilt was silk, and soft to the touch. A desk with a cushioned chair sat in the far right hand corner. A glass doorway on the far side of the room stood open, and silver moonlight poored in from the balcony outside. Another door lead to the privy and tub. Unlit torches sat in their holsters along the wall. Dav'id walked over and lit them in the oddest of fashions. He changed his mouth into that of a dragon, and blew a trickle of flame on them. So the part about dragon's breathing fire wasn't a myth. When Dav'id finished he turned to me.
"Does this room suit your needs?" he asked.
"It's fine," I answered. And it was. It was the finest room I'd ever seen, fact.
He nodded. "Good." Then he turned to leave.
"Dav'id?"
He turned in the doorway. "Yes?" His eyes still shone with grey.
I walked over and layed a hand on his arm. "Thank you. I don't know where I'd be right now if it weren't for you." I wasn't certain if I should even stay here, but it was still nice having somewhere to stay.
He smiled, and for a moment some deep emotion flickered over his face, but it was gone just as quick. He seemed as confused by it as I was.
"Good night." Then he left the room, closing the door behind him, but not before Nemonra slipped in.
Will you tell me about this prophecy I'm supposed to be in? I asked him.
Tomorrow, but for now, Nature Child, you need rest. It is late.
I sighed. He was right. I closed the balcony door and put out the torches. Then I layed down beneath the covers and closed my eyes.
Sleep well, Child of Nature.
Just before I drifted into sleep, I managed a soft reply.
My name's Katie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nemonra is actually based on my real cat, Nemo.