Status: Yep. Another Sykes story.

They Say

The past is the past.

Emerson couldn't lie. She was nervous about telling Heather. She knew the girl was going to rant and rave and tell her how much of a mistake it was to be with Oliver. Although that wouldn't make her not be with him, she hated that it had to be that way. She hated tension and arguing of any kind.

Emerson paced the living room floor knowing Heather would be back soon, hopefully with Matty simply because the boy could keep her sister calm.

Once she heard the door open she froze in place, immediately thanking God that she could hear Matty's voice as the pair entered.

"Oh hello love." Matty spoke once he saw her and she waved with a grin.

"Surprise you even know where you live anymore." Heather spoke and Emerson placed her hand on her hip, "What does that mean?"

Heather shrugged falling onto the couch, her blonde hair seeming to bounce more than necessary, "Well you have been with Oli for the past week it seems like."

Emerson tried not to look as harsh as she wanted to, "Yeah, about that...Oli and I, well, we are together."

Heather immediately raised an eyebrow at the girl, "Together how?"

"As in, he's my boyfriend."

Heather laughed, "Like, are you just saying he is, or does he know he is?"

"Um, he brought it up to me."

"Well, just great. Couldn't be happier for you."

"Something tells me that's a lie."

"Yeah, it indeed is." Heather spoke smoothly, crossing her legs with a look Emerson knew too well.

Emerson rolled her eyes, "Well, just thought I'd let you know. You really need to get over this hate for him. He isn't going anywhere and on top of that he really isn't as bad as you have made him out to be."

"Right, well, I'm not dating him so I really could care less."

"Seems like you care a lot actually."

Heather shrugged, "Just know, when he breaks you're heart I will be there to say I told you so and trust me, it will happen."

Emerson rolled her eyes once more, "Right, well, it's a shame you feel that way, because I would never be that way to you. Now you know why I'm never here." The girl stated as she grabbed up her bag and patted Matty's arm on her way to the door. She just wanted away from here. She felt herself growing angry and she hated it.

As she walked out of the apartment she ran straight into someone and she immediately began apologizing to whoever.

"You don't have to apologize to me, love." She heard realizing it was Oli once she stepped back. Her eyes met the familiar boy and she immediately began tearing up. She really couldn't explain why besides the fact that the whole ordeal was getting the best of her and seeing him brought relief.

Oli's smile faded quickly and he grabbed her waist, "Hey, what's wrong?"

She shook her head and buried her face against his chest as she sniffled.

"Em, what happened?"

"Can I stay with you tonight?"

"What? Of course." He mumbled, kissing her head, "Come on, we will talk in the car."

She nodded and he gently grabbed her hand, leading her to his car. The ride to his home was silent. Oli's mind wondering off thinking of all the possibilities of why she could possibly be crying. All of which was driving him insane.

Once safely in his home she kicked off her shoes and sat on his couch, wiping her tear stained cheeks. He eyed her from the door before making his way to her carefully.

"Talk to me, love." He whispered, brushing back her hair and she sighed, "Sorry, I just got into it with Heather of course."

"About what?"

"I told her we were together."

Oli sighed as he brushed her cheek gently, "I'm sorry, baby."

The girl shook her head before cuddling into his side.

"You can stay here as long as you want. You know that." He whispered, wrapping her up in his arms.

He couldn't help but feel guilty about her being hurt. Afterall, their relationship was to blame. Of course, he couldn't understand her sister. How anyone could hurt her feelings was beyond him. Just seeing her upset made him want to do anything in his power to make her feel better again.

"How about I cook for us tonight?"

She raised up to look at him and nodded, earning a kiss to her cheek.

"Thank you."

"For what?" He asked softly and she grinned weakly, "For just, being you."

He stared at her as she ran her fingers into his short hair.

"You give me more credit than I deserve."

She shrugged, raising up and kissing his lips, "Stop that."

He sighed, pulling her into his lap, "I'm sure everything will be ok in a day or two." He stated, changing the subject.

The girl shrugged once more and he placed his hand on her cheek, "Let me talk to her, ok?"

"What? No. You know how that turned out last time."

"I know, I just feel like I have to try. I just, I hate seeing you like this and knowing it's because of me..."

"It's not because of you, Oli. It's because she's stubborn."

"She's stubborn because I've been a douche bag."

Emerson sighed, "But you aren't now."

Oli shrugged, "It's hard to change peoples opinions of you when they have it set already."

"Well still, she should give you another chance."

"Why? Just because you love me?" He asked softly, brushing back her hair.

She nodded, not going to deny it when she had told him several times already. Although he had yet to return those 3 words. She tried to not let it bother her. She knew he was really closed off so she would just take this one step at a time.

"Not everyone sees the world like you do."

"You make it sound so odd."

Oli shook his head, "It's not, it's just, not everyone."

"Oh gotcha."

The boy chuckled as he cupped her face, "You're so fucking cute, I swear."

"Mhm."

He pecked her nose before pulling away with a smile. She watched him move from the couch and hold out his hand for her.

"Accompany me to the market?"

Emerson giggled, "Oh sure thing, sir."

He chuckled, pulling her from the house and to his car. He felt better hearing her laugh. His main goal was to make her feel better tonight. Surely he could do that.

"What are you making?" She asked as Oliver grabbed a cart for groceries. The boy shrugged and she laughed, "Oh man. I'm already scared."

"Oh whateva. I can cook well."

"Guess I'll find out."

Oli chuckled as he placed random things in the cart.

"Are cookies going into this meal?" She asked and he grinned, "Maybe?"

"Right..."

He laughed pulling her in, pressing his lips to her temple, "Can I not buy otha things?"

"Oh by all means go right ahead."

Oli rolled his eyes, pushing the cart with one hand and holding hers with the other. It was weird for him. To be in public with a girl, acting like this. It had been so long he forgot how simple yet happy it actually was.

"Any other junk food you need?"

Oli smirked, "Well, someone is being very sassy today."

"Am not."

"Are so." He stated, as they rounded the corner only to come face to face with a girl he wished he didn't know. The two carts hit together and his eyes along with the girl across from him met.

"Oliver." The blonde spoke, her face going from surprised to stern in seconds.

Oliver cleared his throat, regaining his composure, "Maggie, how are you?"

"Great actually." She responded, moving her cart out of the way from his. He watched her as she stopped beside him, "Great seeing you." She forced out, a fake smile hitting her lips. Emerson felt the tension, deciding to keep quiet and pull her hand from his in order to avoid making it worse.

"You too..." Oli mumbled before beginning to walk away from her. He just needed far from her. Now.

Emerson meant to follow behind him, but was grabbed lightly by the girl. Emerson stopped immediately and faced the blonde who wore too much make up in her opinion.

"Look, just by looking at you I can tell you're too sweet. So take it from my experience, he's no good for you. Be careful. I mean it." She spoke softly before flashing her a sympathetic grin and walking away.

Emerson stood there a bit dumbfounded. Not sure what had just taken place.

"Em?" She heard and looked up to see Oli in front of her with a confused look.

"Sorry." She spoke quickly, taking the two steps to him and they continued shopping. The trip was finished in silence and the drive home wasn't any better. Oli knew it was because of Maggie, but he didn't know how to talk about it. He hated his past showing up in the now. It made things even more complicated.

Once the groceries were unloaded and the pair stood in the kitchen in silence Oli decided to speak.

"Please tell me what you're thinking."

Emerson studied him, biting her bottom lip. She really didn't know what she was thinking. How many girls needed to tell her about him before she believed one? Then again, who he was in the past, didn't mean he was that now. She didn't know what to believe or stand by at this point. Afterall, even he told her he was no good for her.

"Nothing..."

Oli sighed, leaning on the island in between them.

"She wasn't a girlfriend, if you're wondering."

"I wasn't, but thanks."

Oli brushed his hair from his eyes, "She was a girl, I hung out with for a while. I mean, we..."

"Slept together? I get that." She said, cutting him off all the while fiddling with the bag of cookies he had bought in order to not look at him.

Oli breathed out, "I was going to say we dated."

"And why did you stop?" She boldly asked, looking over at him.

"It just, wasn't working out."

She nodded and he studied her, not sure how to take what was happening.

"She told me to be careful because I seemed too sweet and she basically felt the need to warn me." Emerson stated and Oli didn't dare move from his spot although his hands clinched together on the counter.

"And you're contemplating that aren't you? Before you say yes or no, just remember that I told you the same thing before we got to where we are."

"Oli, I didn't say I believe her."

"No, but you've been acting strange since we ran into her. I hurt her, Emason. Is that what you wanna here? Because that's what happened. She fell for me and I was a complete jerk back because I just didn't care. I am aware of how fucked up that is and every time I see her I am reminded of it. So yes, her warning is in fact a warning in her eyes. How you take it is up to you, not me." Oli grumbled, leaving the kitchen in fear of raising his voice at her.

Emerson breathed in before following behind the boy instantly.

"Why are you mad?" She asked and he spun around to face her causing her to come to an immediate halt. All these thoughts were running through his head and he just hoped he could get them out in complete sentences.

"Because Em! Because!" He mumbled tugging at his hair. Great. This was not starting off well. Oli breathed in deeply trying to get the words right.

"I've made some terrible mistakes. I realize that and trust me, karma does exist. I've gotten my fair share, but I know when something is right, ok? And what I have with you is right. It feels right. No other girl I've dated, been with, talked with, can ever compare their relationship with me to mine and yours. Do you understand that at all?"

Once his speech ended, their eyes met and the room grew quiet. Oli's heart was racing and Emerson didn't even know how to speak at the moment. He always took her by surprise when he said anything obtaining to his feelings.

"I get it." She finally whispered and he stood there, staring at the girl before him. He wanted so badly to tell her how he really felt. That speech didn't even come close, but he wasn't ready. He wasn't ready to be completely out there. He had done that once before and he regretted it still to this day.

"I want to be with you, Em. I do. Otherwise, I wouldn't be wasting my time. I'm trying for you because you're worth it. So please give me some credit here."

"I know you are. Oli, if I honestly cared about everyone elses opinion of you, why would I still be with you? Despite how crazy everyone thinks I am for believing in you, I do! I can't help it. It's just how I am."

Oli shoved his hands in his front pockets nervously, "I am glad you do, ok? I truly am."

She stepped to him, wrapping her arms around his torso. He looked down at her and she stepped on her toes to kiss him, "I don't care who you were then, Oli. I truly don't because the Oli I know now is all that matters to me."

"You sure?" He asked softly and she nodded with a grin, "Yeah. I'm sure."

"How did I get you?" Oli asked bringing his hand to her cheek.

"You're charming remember?" She teased pulling away from him causing the boy to laugh.

"Come on, you said you would cook." She added, grabbing his hand and yanking him to the kitchen.

Emerson was right. Who he was in the past didn't matter. That person felt like a distant memory. The person he was right now was someone he wasn't use to yet, but he definitely wasn't against either.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...does anyone else think Heather has something against Oli besides the whole, him screwing her friend over? ;)

OH. My new John O'Callaghan story is in full swing.

Without Warning Feat. John Oh

Thanks for commenting;
Noescapinglife
JaniceJillian
Imagination_17 (ah, thanks!)
WhoAreYouJudy
Abmora01 (Yep!! Ha.)
:)