Status: Yep. Another Sykes story.

They Say

Keep it real.

"Oli, just ignore her." Emerson whined, trying to talk her boyfriend into spending the night with her which seemed more and more difficult the more Heather and her fought. Which seemed to be a lot more than normal lately...

"Em, I can do that, but it's when she starts bickering at you that bothers me and I really don't want to yell at her. Again. That won't make it any betta." Oli stated as he pulled up at the familiar apartment building to drop Emerson off. She had a job interview in the morning and although he had tried to get her to work at his company she refused the help.

Emerson frowned and he unhooked his seatbelt before leaning into her, "You'll see me tomorrow love. You betta call me as soon as it's ova so I can know how it went, ok?"

The girl nodded and he grinned as he brought his hand to her cheek, "I am howeva going to miss you tonight."

"I'm going to miss you." She mumbled and he immediately felt the words tug at his heart. It surely surprised him at how much he felt for her. He had spent the whole weekend with her and yet he was certain that wasn't enough.

"Let me walk you to the door."

She nodded and the pair got out, his hand immediately attaching to hers as they walked the short distance. A sigh left her lips as she turned to face him and he pulled her in slowly.

"I just want you to know how amazing this weekend has been for me. I truly mean it." He whispered, his forehead pressing to the girl's lightly.

"Me too."

He brought his hand to her hair as his lips grazed hers, "I'll see you tomorrow. What time is that interview?"

"9."

"Is Heatha taking you?" He asked and she shook her head, "I'm cabing it."

"No, you're not. I'll take you. You have got to get over your fear of driving here."

"It's scary and weird!"

Oli chuckled, "It's not. Look, we will practice tomorrow. I'll pick you up at 8:30, ok?"

"Ok, thank you."

Oli rolled his eyes, "You're my girlfriend. No need to thank me."

She raised up and kissed his lips quickly, "I shall see you tomorrow morning then."

He nodded, "Goodnight love. Sweet dreams."

She grinned and he kissed her forehead before leaving her be, shoving his hands in his pockets as he headed to the car. How he got so lucky he was still unsure.

As soon as Emerson walked into the apartment she was met with Heather in the living room.

"Well hello." Heather mumbled, not bothering to move her eyes from the screen.

Emerson sighed. She hated how it's been between them. They never fought before and the tension was horrible.

"Can we please calmly talk about this? We have never fought like this and I hate not being able to tell you things. I just don't understand." Emerson offered up a truce and her sister finally looked at her.

"Maybe you should talk to Oliver."

"Why? About what?"

Heather turned off the television and Emerson placed her hands on her hips waiting for the girl's next words.

"Do you know how I met Matty?" She asked calmly and she shook her head, "A party right?"

"Well yes, but more specifically a Oliver party."

"Ok?" She questioned and Heather sighed, "I met him at Oli's party, but I was there for Oli."

Emerson gave her a confused look, unsure if she followed what she was trying to say.

"Oli invited me. I met him first. We met at that cafe down the road and hit it off so we began to hang out a bit. I mean, I knew no one in town so it was nice to have a friend."

Emerson nodded telling her to continue and the blonde crossed her legs, "Well, I began to have feelings for him. Only made sense. It was way before I met Matt."

Emerson felt her stomach knot up as she crossed her arms uncomfortably. Where was this going exactly? She didn't know if she wanted to or not.

"Did you sleep with him?" Emerson couldn't stop herself from asking and Heather shook her head no, "No, nothing like that. I just really liked him and I eventually told him, and he never seemed put off about it until that night I found out he slept with my friend. Therefore you can see my distaste for him and the reason I don't want you to date him. He's a pig. A very attractive, and very charming one, but he is and you don't need to date him."

"Why wouldn't you tell me this?!" Emerson asked more mad at the fact that her sister hid something from her.

"I didn't think you would actually like him, you've always been different from me!"

She shook her head, not sure if she was hurt or angry at the moment.

"So basically Oli knows why you are acting this way..."

"Yep."

The room went quiet and Emerson tried to come up with an excuse as to why he wouldn't tell her, but came up short handed. This was the one time she felt let down by him and she hated it more than she'd admit to.

"I'm going to bed." Emerson grumbled and headed to her room not bothering to allow Heather to speak again. She shut her bedroom door and sat on her bed in thought. Did she call him? Work this out with him? She didn't know where to go from here. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal if he had told her from the beginning, but the fact that he acted like he did nothing when in reality he had hurt her sister made her question his sincerity.

She breathed in before finding his number and hitting the call button. She just need to get it over with or it would effect her interview.

"Ello?" Oli answered a bit confused as to the call since he hadn't even made it home yet.

"You need to come back."

"What? Why?"

"Because we need to talk. It can't wait until tomorrow." She spoke calmly and he immediately tensed, "Ok. I'm turning around now."

The pair hung up and he all but flew back to her place disregarding the fact that Heather was there or not. Before he could knock he was met at the door by Emerson and his eyes immediately grew concerned.

"What happened?" He asked and she grabbed his hand, pulling him to her room, shutting the door behind them.

"You're scarying me a bit." He admitted as he rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"How did you meet Heather?"

Oli narrowed his eyes as he racked his brain for their first encounter.

"I met her at that cafe down the road. Why? Em, what is this about?"

"And what happened from there?"

"What do you mean?"

"Oli, you met her and then what?" She asked sitting onto her bed and he stood in front of her.

"Fuck, I don't know! We were friends? Is that a problem?" He asked confused and slightly annoyed that she just wouldn't spit it out.

"You left out the part where you talked to her."

"Uh, yeah? Isn't that what friends do?"

"Not like that, Oli. Talked. Like dating."

"What?! We neva dated!"

Emerson stared at him as she crossed her arms trying to figure out who was lying. It wasn't as easy as most would assume.

"Yes, she told me she liked me, so what?"

"Did you like her?" She asked softly and his hazel eyes met hers, "Em..." He responded, kneeling in front of her, placing his hands gently on her knees.

"No. I neva have. I didn't know she was unda the impression that I did. She told me, but nothing changed so I figured she just assumed it wasn't mutual and moved on."

Emerson didn't respond and he let out a frustrated sigh, "I wasn't keeping anything from you. I really didn't mention it because I figured it didn't matta. After all she is with Matty now."

"I know, I just..."

Oli shook his head, his hand sliding to her cheek, "Em, let me talk to her ok? If this is why she's mad, let me talk it out with her."

"I don't know if that's a good idea."

"You believe me right?" He asked cupping her face and she bit her bottom lip before nodding.

"I swear to you, nothing ever happened between us. Surely she wouldn't lie about that."

"No, she said you two did nothing."

"Good."

Her eyes met his and he kissed her cheek, "I can confidently say you are the only Kelly I've had a thing for."

"Well, you haven't met our mother yet so..." Emerson teased causing him to laugh, "You're right, I haven't, but until then it's you. Only you."

She nodded and he kissed her trying to calm both her nerves and his down.

"Plus, can you see us togetha? Not a great couple."

Emerson grinned, "Yeah would be odd."

"Exactly."

Oli grasped her hands, gently pulling her from the bed.

"Em, you know I would tell you anything. Especially about anyone I've dated. I may hate it, but I'm not going to lie to you. Just ask me. I'll tell you. I promise."

"Ok." She mumbled and he held her to his chest. He still felt uneasy about this Heather ordeal and he wanted to fix the problem asap.

"Think she'll talk to me?" Oli asked and she looked up at him, "You can try."

Oli nodded, "Ok, then I'll be right back. You really should be sleeping anyways. You're going to be exhausted tomorrow."

Emerson rolled her eyes, "Thanks dad."

Oli shot her a look and she grinned, "Go."

Oli breathed in before opening the bedroom door. Thankfully he was able to find the girl in the livingroom. That at least seemed to be a neutral zone.

"We really need to talk Heatha." He spoke causing her to glance over at him.

"No we don't."

"Yes we do. We really do now more than eva because Emason is apart of my life whetha you want her to be or not and I hate that she's so stressed and upset over this. From the bottom of my heart I truly am sorry that I hurt you. It wasn't my intention and I didn't know you felt that way about me. I just thought it was a mere crush, so I apologize, but please, can we just be civil towards each other for her sake? That's all she wants. That's all I want. We were friends at one point, Heatha and I wouldn't mind if we were again." Oli spoke sincerely and he could tell the blonde was thinking over his offer. He just hoped for once she would be rational.

"Plus, if things wouldn't have happened the way they did who's to say you'd have Matty." He added hoping to win her over even more. He was trying that was for sure.

"Do you really like her?" Heather asked and Oli shifted on his feet, "I...yes, I truly do. She's amazing."

"I know she is."

Oli nodded, "I'm not going to hurt her. I know you don't believe me and that's fine, but I am more than aware of how much I do not deserve her and since I have this opportunity, I'm not going to ruin it."

"Just tell me Oli, what makes her better suited for you then I would have been?"

Oli sighed not wanting to hurt her feelings as he tried to find words.

"She just, she understands me, Heatha. I can't explain it, she just gets me. What makes it even harder to understand is that for the life of me I cannot let her go. Something just will not let me."

Heather stared at the tattooed boy as he shifted uncomfortably, trying to avoid her eyes as he looked to the floor.

"You love her, don't you?"

Oli's eyes shot up and met the blue ones staring at him. His chest tightened at the words alone and yet he had to force himself to speak, "I don't know..."

"I think you do."

"Love is, complicated. What we have is just...us."

"Love is what you make it Oliver. Matty and I love each other and we do not have a complicated relationship."

"I am just not going to rushing into anything."

Heather shrugged, "Fine, take it slow."

Oli grinned,"I am. So are we ok? This really has gone on for too long and I'd like to be able to not have to kidnap my girlfriend when I want to see her."

Heather stifled a laugh, "Yeah, we are ok."

"Brill. Thank you."

Heather nodded with a grin before Oli walked back to Emerson's room to tell her the good news only to find her already asleep on the bed.

A smile hit Oli's lips at the sight and he quietly walked over, tugging the cover from the end and placing it over her.

"Oli?" She mumbled and he pressed his lips to her temple, "What is it my love?" He whispered brushing at her hair lightly.

She tugged on his arm and he didn't hesitate on laying down, placing the arm she still had a hold of around her waist.

"Everything is ok. You can relax now. No more being upset." He whispered to her as she cuddled into his chest.

"I love you." She mumbled into his shirt and he breathed in as he took in the simple words. Maybe Heather was right. It was only complicated if you let it be and Emerson's 'I love you' felt the most sincere, and made his chest hurt with joy.

How could something like that ever be complicated?
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I am updating earlier than I planned because this story has over 60 recs and almost 250 subscribers, and that seriously blows my mind! And in thanks for that, an early update! :)

On another note, anyone think Heather is jealous? Guess we shall see!

Thanks for commenting;
Victims0facrime
TravelerSoul
Lyrainthedark
Imagination_17
ShaniceJillian
:)