Status: Yep. Another Sykes story.

They Say

Hard decisions.

Emerson had grown accustomed to Oli's house. In fact, it felt like 'their' house and maybe she shouldn't really say that, but it did. After being alone for several days, once the weeks flew by, she had gotten use to being home alone to the point that she rathered enjoyed it when she came home from a hard day at work.

The girl walked into the house, locking the door behind her as she kicked off her shoes with a sigh. Clearly one of those hard days was today. Once changed into comfortable clothes she opened up her laptop only to see the content she had yet to close out of. She stared at her computer screen, the words had been memorized days ago and yet she couldn't bare to close the email that sent her head back into a whirl.

She blinked, the words now blurring and she immediately shut her eyes tightly. She just needed someone to talk to. Heather was out of the question and although Oli called her several times a day from wherever in the world he was, she really didn't think this was something she should discuss with him. She breathed in before reaching for her phone and quickly texting Tom. He could be the voice of reason she needed. He was always so calm and understanding.

She continued to sit indian style on the bed, laptop in front of her as her thoughts overwhelmed her. So much so she didn't even hear Tom come in until he entered the room scarying her to death.

"Sorry, assumed you heard me..." He said giving her an odd look as he sat beside her.

"What's wrong?" He asked cutting to the chase and she pushed the computer towards him and the room went silent as he read the lengthy email.

"Em..."

"What do I do?"

"What do you mean? Em, you're parents are basically saying hey, we will pay for everything and for art school if you come back home. What is there to do?!"

She shot him a look and he immediately sighed, "But you don't want to leave Oli..."

She groaned as she fell back onto her pillow, covering her face with her hands.

"Em, have you talked to him?"

"No..."

"And yet this email was received days ago..."

"Tom! I know, ok? But you act like this is something easy. I love him and yet, that is my dream."

"I get it, Em. I do. It's hard. But maybe you and Oli can work something out. I mean, it has been what? A month since he left and you're seeing how it's going to be most of the time you're with him. You get that right?"

Emerson fiddled with her fingers trying not to think badly about the situation. Sure, 4 weeks was a lot and she missed him more than imaginable, but if it was for longer than 2 months she could always go out to where he was if needed. Then again, couldn't he do that for her if she went back to Arizona?

"Just, talk to him, ok? He'll listen to you. He always does."

She sighed, turning her head to look at the young Sykes boy.

"You make it sound so easy."

"It is. No one said you're leaving. You're just discussing it with someone you love. There is nothing wrong in that."

"So I should do it when he calls tonight?"

Tom immediately nodded.

"Ok."

"Good. Call me if you need me later." He said, kissing her forhead before moving off the bed.

"Tom?"

"Mhm?"

"Thank you."

A smile hit his lips, "No problem, sweetie."

She watched him leave and once she heard the front door shut she fell back onto the bed. Tom was right. She needed to discuss this with Oli. It was the only way she could decide was right for her.

Emerson actually felt better after Tom coolled her down and she knew she would talk to Oli, but when the time came and her phone began to ring she felt the nerves hit her gut.

"Hello?" She answered and Oli sounded too cheerful to her.

"Hi, love. How are you?"

"Oh fine and you?"

"Pretty good. Heading to the bus."

Emerson chuckled, "Good show?"

"Amazing show."

"Good to hear."

"Mhm. Now I'm exhausted. So how was your day?" He asked and she shifted uncomfortably on the bed.

"It was ok. Actually, I really need to talk to you about something."

"Ok? Is everything alright?" He questioned and she could hear the concern already in his voice which made her that much more nervous.

"Yeah. Well, ok, so my parents emailed me talking about me coming back and all that like always, but this time they said if I come home, they'll pay for art school instead." She said softly and she felt herself wanting to throw up simply from the nerves.

The line went silent and she bit her bottom lip roughly, preparing for what he would say.

"Go." He finally said causing her to grow confused.

"Wait. What?"

"You should go, Em. It's your dream. You deserve it. I'm not going to stand in your way."

"But, Oli..."

"Emason, listen to me, yeah? I know how badly you want this. I do. I see it every time I catch you painting. That feeling you have is how I feel when I make music and I don't want you to miss out on that."

Emerson grew quiet as her mind tried to comprehend what all of it meant. If she went to Arizona what would that mean for them?

"I love you. I love you more than I eva thought it was possible to love someone, Em. You have brought out a side of me I neva knew existed and I just..." Oli mumbled, "I just love you enough to let you go. You want this. I want you to do this. You deserve everything you want, Emason. You are the most beautiful person I've eva met. I truly mean that."

"Why are you talking like we are breaking up?" She finally asked and he breathed into the phone.

"Because, we both know we are, Emason."

"I'm not calling to break up, Oli. I'm just calling to discuss this with you. I haven't decided anything."

"There's nothing to decide. You're going."

"You really can't decide that for me."

"Yes I can. You're not staying in Sheffield just for me, do you understand that? I won't allow you to."

Emerson gulped as she tried to hold in her emotions.

"Well, too bad." She grumbled out and he sighed, "Don't fight me on this, Em. You called. I'm telling you my opinion."

"And I will take it into consideration."

"Damn it Emerson, no."

"I didn't call to ask if I could go Oli. It's my decision and I'll decide what I want to do, not you."

"Mhm. Well, if you stay I'm breaking up with you."

"Well apparently you're breaking up with me anyways!"

"I never fucking said that!"

"You basically did."

"I don't want to have this conversation over the phone." He growled and she shrugged although she couldn't see him.

"Fine. So what? We will wait another month?"

"Actually, we have 3 days off and I was going to fly home and surprise you, but apparently it's not going to be what I imagined." He grumbled and she immediately felt bad.

"Oli..."

"I'll see you tomorrow." He mumbled before hanging up. She breathed in and fell back onto her bed, hurt because of how the whole ordeal went. She couldn't imagine living with out Oli, but she also couldn't imagine not giving this art school ordeal a try. She wished she could just close her eyes and wake up the next morning and everything would be worked out.

Wishful thinking.

Oli threw his phone angrily onto the couch and Matty gave him a confused look from the table as he watched him pace back and forth.

"What's the matta?" Matty finally asked as Oli tugged on his hair.

"Emason."

"Oh, are you two fighting?"

"No. We neva fight...I don't know..."

"What happened? Maybe I can help."

Oli stifled a laugh, "You can't. She just, her parents said they would allow her to go to art school if she went home."

"And you're mad about that?"

"What? No. I just, I'm frustrated really. I want her to be happy. I don't want to seem selfish and tell her to stay even though I want that more than anything. I- I can't be selfish with her. I want to be, but I've done that so many times before and I can't do that with her. I love her and her being happy is what matters to me."

"Why can't you just, be with her anyways?"

"Really Matt? And see her when?" He asked and Matty shrugged, "You'd figure it out."

Oli sighed as he fell onto the couch.

"And why are you mad exactly?"

"I'm not. She's just so frustrating. I told her to go and the she's going to argue with me about it!"

"Oli, did you ever think maybe that wasn't what she wanted? Hell, you probably hurt her feelings."

"I...no? Why would it?" He questioned, his eyes narrowing as he tried to go over their conversation again in his head.

"Because she loves you and you basically said, ok sure, go on like you don't care."

"I neva meant it like that." He frowned and Matty shrugged, "Well you're seeing her tomorrow so you can apologize then."

"Fuck. See. I try so hard not to screw it all up and I some how manage to do it anyway!"

"Oli, you try way to hard! Just let it be. You over think everything and that's why it happens. Just chill out. All of this will work out. You and her will work out."

"I just don't know anymore."

"What's not to know? Don't you love her?"

"Yeah..." Oli grumbled and Matty nodded, "And she loves you. Distance isn't going to change that."

Oli sighed, dropping his face into his hands. He didn't know how he would fix this and even more so, he didn't know how we prevent her from moving back to Arizona without feeling guilty about it. The thought of not having her in his home anymore known the less in the same country made him sick to his stomach. He loved her too much to be that far from her, but maybe Matty was right, what would distance really change?
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh...better late than never? :/ Sorry guys...

Thanks for commenting and for subscribing AND for all the recommendations! Seriously. I love you all. I'll try to do better next update!