Status: Yep. Another Sykes story.

They Say

Better than good.

Emerson just needed to admit it. If to anyone at least to herself. She liked Oli. She liked the way he held her hand, the crooked grin he gave her and the way he talked softly to her. Everything about him made her like him even more each day.

The girl relaxed her chin in the palm of her hand as she watched Oli laugh across the table with Lee. Her thoughts were interrupted by someone elbowing her and she looked over to see Matty smirking.

"What?" She asked innocently and he smiled, "You like him."

"I..."

"You do."

The girl blushed and looked down at her food in front of her.

Matty chuckled, "Nothing wrong with it, love. He fancies you a lot and I know him better than anyone and trust me, he is in fact a good guy. He just doesn't know how to express it."

"I know he is."

"Of course..."

Emerson locked eyes with him and he smirked, "So how long is this whole 'we don't like each other like that' thing going to go on?"

Emerson shrugged, "Who knows..." she mumbled looking across to the boy who's eyes met hers. A grin hit his lips which she returned and Lee punched his shoulder for ignoring him. Emerson giggled as Oli yelled at Lee.

She was in too deep.

Once dinner was over Oli was immediately back at her side as they walked out. He slid his arm around her waist protectively as they all headed to their cars.

"That was fun." He spoke and she nodded as they reached his car.

"What's the matter?" He asked looking down at her as they came to a stop.

"Nothing."

He brought his hand to her cheek, brushing his thumb over her skin.

"Did you not want to go out tonight? You should have just told me. We didn't have to."

"No, I did. Just have a lot on my mind."

"Like what?"

Emerson shrugged feeling a bit embarrassed now.

Oli grasped her hips as he pressed his lip to her forehead, "Just making sure you're ok, love."

"I am."

Oli kissed to her temple and over her cheek to the corner of her mouth. He had yet to kiss the girl and he was starting to find it hard not to.

Emerson breathed in deeply and did something she never thought she had in her. She brought her hand to his face and pressed her lips to his.

Oli stopped breathing as her soft lips molded with his. His fingers digging into her hips as he tried to process what was happening only for it to stop way too soon.

"I..."

Before she could speak he crashed his lips back to hers.

"Why did you do that?" He whispered pressing his forehead to hers.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled and he shut his eyes as he held her to him, "No. Don't. I liked it. I just, I told you this couldn't happen, Em. You're making this so hard."

Emerson decided to keep quiet in order not to embarrass herself anymore. He pressed several quick, yet gentle kisses to her lips before he spoke once more, "I have to stop. We have to stop."

"I just don't understand why."

"Because, I'm not good for you."

"Who said?"

"I did. I know I'm not. You can do way better than me."

"But I don't want to."

A weak grin hit his lips as he grazed her cheek with his fingertips.

"Get in the car."

Emerson fought back an eye roll and he pecked her lips once more before removing himself from her.

"You're going to be the death of me." He grumbled as the pair climbed into his vehicle. He sighed as he started the car, the girl beside him being as quiet as ever. All he could do was think of her lips against his and the tingling sensation still lingering on his. He glanced over at her quickly, only to see her staring out the window. He really hoped he hadn't hurt her feelings. He didn't really think of it like that.

"Are you mad at me?" He asked calmly and she glanced over at him, "About?"

"About what just happened..."

"Oh, no. Why would I be?"

"I don't know. Just didn't want to hurt your feelings."

"You didn't hurt my feelings." Emerson spoke with a soft grin.

"I can't believe you kissed me though. I mean, I just figured it would be me who did it not you." He responded with a chuckle.

Emerson blushed and looked back out the window, "I know."

"I was going to take you to my house, but I don't know if you want to anymore."

"I don't care where you take me, Oli."

"Ok." He mumbled deciding to just take her back with him. He didn't want to make things worse and take her home.

Once at his house the awkward silence was unbearable. Sure, he was use to silence around her, but this was something else and he didn't know how to handle it.

"So um..." He mumbled sitting on the couch and she looked at him with such innocence he questioned if the awkward moment was real.

"Wht's wrong?" She finally asked and he shugged, "He'll I don't know, it just seems awkward now!"

"Why?"

"Because we kissed!"

"You're sounding like a girl now Oliver."

The boy couldn't help the grin that hit his lips even in his time of nerves.

"I am, aren't I?"

She nodded and he sighed relaxing his head on the back of the couch.

"You just, I, fuck. I don't know why you make me feel this way but you do."

"Make you feel how?" She asked softly, not sure what he was getting at but hoping it wasn't bad.

"All jumbled up inside. I don't know how to explain it."

Emerson fiddled with her fingers as she stared down at her lap.

"Not a bad thing though."

"Sounds pretty bad."

He turned his head to look at her as his mind raced. He finally decided to move closer to her causing her eyes to land on his.

"No, not bad. Not bad at all." He whispered bringing his fingers under her chin. A grin hit his lips and he leaned in, pecking her nose.

"It's fine. Really. We both know it will never happen again so it's fine."

"Right..." She whispered not wanting it to be that way at all, but she figured she already made that statement clear enough.

Her eyes met his and he couldn't seem to look away from her. Her soft skin under his fingers and her breathing he could now hear from the small space between them. He wanted to kiss her over and over again.

"You're beautiful." Oli let the words fall from his lips without much thought and a blush lined the girl's cheeks. He leaned in and kissed her cheek before forcing himself away from her.

Before anything else could be said a knock on the door broke their moment. The pair looked over at the door and Oli cleared his throat before telling whoever to come in.

To neither of their surprise, Matty and Tom walked in.

"Oh hello you two love birds."

Oliver rolled his eyes and leaned back in his seat.

"And what do I owe this lovely visit to? I mean, is both of your birds busy?"

Matty rolled his eyes, "Must be because we both know mine would rather die than be around you."

"That's just sad." Oli responded in a rather boring tone before looking at Tom. Tom and Emerson had yet to speak to each other and he didn't want the boy to be here just to yell at the girl.

Matty fell onto the couch as Tom sat beside him, Oli's eyes still on him cautiously.

"Are you ok?" Tom finally asked him and Oli shrugged, "Why are you here?"

"What's with the hostility?"

"I mean, you weren't very nice two days ago so forgive me for being a bit on edge."

Tom shrugged and looked at Emerson, "You were right, ok?"

Emerson bit her bottom lip and Oli tensed, "About what?"

"About that bloody girl, ok? She was right." Tom grumbled clearly embarrassed to be admitting this.

"Yeah, I know." Oli defended placing his arm on the back of the couch.

Tom rolled his eyes and Matty spoke, "Dude, he's apologizing. Accept it."

"I am. I'm just saying there was no point in him not believing it from the beginning."

"Oli." Emerson finally spoke before looking at Tom, "I'm sorry."

"No, don't be. I'm sorry."

"You're forgiven."

Tom grinned, "Thank you."

Oli rolled his eyes but decided to keep his mouth shut.

"Well one down one more to go." Matty said and Oli groaned, "What does that mean? I'm not apologizing to Heatha."

"Oh come on! Just do it so this can all be ova!"

"I did nothing wrong! If anyone should apologize it's her!"

"Oli's right." Emerson spoke and Oli immediately looked at her, "I am?"

"Yeah. Heather needs to apologize first."

"Are you siding with him?" Matty asked with a raised eyebrow.

"No, Oli should apologize too, but she needs to do it first. She was wrong."

"She's definitely the logical one out of our group." Tom said chuckling and Emerson grinned, "Clearly."

"Well, we both know that isn't going to happen." Matty responded and Oli shrugged, "It's whatever."

"I'll talk to her."

"Please do so we can all be around each other again." Matty grumbled and Emerson nodded, "I will."

"Like, within the next two hours so we can all be at Lee's together?" Tom asked chuckling and Emerson sighed, "I guess so."

"Great! See you guys there!"

"Who said I was going?" Oli asked and Tom chuckled as he headed to the door, "Let's not kid ourseleves here. Emason will be there so you'll be there."

Oli didn't responded knowing the boy was in fact right.

The two left and the room went quiet once more. Oli looked over at the girl who was now messing with her hair.

"Must we go?"

"Well, we do need to talk to Heather."

"We can always do that tomorrow."

A grin hit her lips, "Then what are we going to do, Oli?"

"Good question, but I know you aren't eager to go to a party either."

Emerson chuckled, "You know me quite well."

"I like to think I do anyways."

She leaned against his arm and he patted her knee.

"Ok, fine. We can talk to her tomorrow."

"Thanks love." He whispered, pressing his lips to her head.

She boldly wrapped her arms around him from the side and he didn't object to the closeness although he knew he should.

Then again, there was a lot of things he knew he should do, but sometimes his heart seemed to take over his thought process.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awe. Oli. :3

Thanks for commenting;
wowfairy13
howitends345
mollymurach
abmora01
rchemical
:)