The Forgotten Princess

The Prophecy (Prologue)

"She shall come in the dead of night, known to herself but not by others. Her familiar shall be uncommon, and will be loved by all mystical creatures. The birds will sing as she passes, and her voice, as beautiful as the mermaids that raised her. The dryads will know her like an old friend, and the unicorns shall have her ride them. Dragons will bow, elves will whisper her name, and even the dwarves shall be swayed by her. For she shall bring an end to the fighting, as The Forgotten Princess."- Foretold by the High Priestess of Esanatra, 200 years before the split.
Esanatra was once a beautiful kingdom, but the two royal families of the kingdom that ruled together started to feud. The kingdom split in two, becoming the northern kingdom of Esan and the southern kingdom of Atra. This became known as the Split. The two kingdoms are still feuding, but many refuse to go to war because they have family in the other kingdom. The only thing keeping them from all out war was this fact. So they remain at bay, but many people believe they should end the feud. Now the neighboring kingdom of Gagakasha has decided to invade when the kingdoms are at their weakest. The split kingdoms need to reunite in order to fight off this menace, but they still are unable to come to an agreement.
The kingdom of Esan's queen gives birth to a daughter. Then Atra's queen gives birth to a son. The two kingdoms decide that they will form a bond through marriage, that when their children are of age they will be married. Until then the kingdoms fight off the invading kingdom, and have success at keeping them out. They are not winning, for they are too weak without each other, but the enemy is at bay.
While this is going on, Anniana Gragona, the queen's daughter, is growing up. She is told at the age of four about the arranged marriage, and runs away so that she will not have to marry someone she does not wish too when she is sixteen. Pandemonium breaks out in the two kingdoms as they search for her, but eventually they all give up. Anniana is soon forgotten, and the queen decides that Anniana's year younger daughter will marry Atra's prince to fix the problem. It is decided that when the new daughter is sixteen, she will marry Atra's prince.
Meanwhile, Anniana is found by the mermaids. She tells them her story, and they decide to raise her rather than leave the four year old to herself. Anniana has a magical gift, inherited from her mother, and the mermaids teach her a spell none others know- how to become a mermaid. Anniana can now change at will into a mermaid, and she rarely ever comes on shore. Anniana lives with the mermaids, and has become quite like them. Her hair is silvery blue as a mermaid, and light brown as a human. Her voice is light and silvery like a mermaid, but she disguises it when she is being a human. Her looks are not that of beauty like the mermaids, but instead are like that of the average human.
Anniana has become quite like royalty in mermaid society, as the mermaid that raised her was their queen. Anniana considers the queen to be her mother, and loves her very much. As a result of being like a daughter to the queen, Anniana has inherited a new family with seven sisters. She has had her magical gift grow in power over the years from the things taught to her by traveling nobles of the other magical races that sometimes stay in the mermaid kingdom with them. She has been taught by elves, dwarves, fellow mermaids, and even on one occasion a dragon that she met on the sea shore. She knows where to go and what to do should she need help from any of the races-besides dragons, who are very secretive- and knows all of these races nobilities as well. She also has a Familiar that she sees when she's on the shore. Her Familiar is a phoenix, a creature few see, and that none have for Familiars. Anniana is known well by all the mystical creatures, but not by humans. She doesn't want her family to know where she is.
It is when Anniana is seventeen, the prince of Atra's betrothed sixteen and ready to be married, that the High Priestess of Esanatra's prophecy is found. The human nobility realize that the princess who ran away so long ago must be who the prophecy speaks of. So a search has begun to find the girl. Word has reached Anniana and the mermaid kingdom about this, and they too know it is Anniana the prophecy speaks of. Anniana doesn't wish to be found, and it is decided that she will leave to stay with the elves; since the prophecy directly relates the one they are seeking to the mermaids. Anniana leaves, and is on her way to the elves.
If she has anything to say about it, The Forgotten Princess shall remain forgotten.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooooh, interesting.