The Forgotten Princess

A Favor (Chapter 1)

I walked along the shoreline, the cool sand sticking to the bottoms of my feet. The breeze blew my hair, swirling it around my face. The moonlight glinted on the water, and the waves crashed gently onto the shore. I sighed, wishing I could stay with the mermaids. I loved the sea, it was my home.
I hated wearing human clothes, they were so uncomfortable. (Though it was good for covering the bracelet I wear on my right wrist.) I preferred the seashell top and fins more than the battered peasant dress I wear whenever I turn human. I bent to pick up a shell that had washed up onto the shore, cradling it in my arms. I heard the sweet trill of the sirens, once again trying to lure men to their watery deaths. (Sirens are evil mermaids that lure men to their deaths with their voices, then devour them.) They were quickly silenced, the mermaids in the area didn't allow sirens to sing here.
I set the shell in the water, and listened to the new trill of the mermaid's song. This was different from that of the sirens' song, which was seductive. This song was sad, and I knew it was one of my sisters singing farewell.
I turned away from the sea, walking toward the line of trees that surrounded the gulf. I wiped a tear from my eye, knowing that I couldn't go back to them. I had to leave until people stopped searching for The Forgotten Princess. I didn't want to be found. The elves were my only sanctuary for now.
I could hear the voice grow louder, and could tell which of my sisters it was. I would know Periwinkle's voice anywhere. She was named for the periwinkle color of her hair. She was also my younger sister, fifteen years old. As I listened, I heard another voice join in. This one was Rose, for her sweetness. Then joined in Luna, Lace, Nutmeg, Angel, and Buttercup. Finally, the sweetest voice of them all, my adopted mother, Tulip, joined in. The queen of mermaids was singing to me, along with her daughters, my family.
I joined in so that they heard me, and they quieted to listen. I finished the song, then walked slowly into the woods. They started singing again, and I listened as I walked. Eventually, I was too far away to hear them sing anymore. I could see a break in the trees ahead, and headed for it. I stumbled upon a young man, who appeared to be my age, asleep by a small fire. A horse was tethered to a nearby tree, and it had the armor of a knight on it's back. I examined the label on the chest plate, and wasn't surprised to see the symbol of the kingdom I was in. So, this boy is an Atran knight. What was he doing here?
The glint of a sword next to the young man caught my attention. I shrugged off my pack. I walked over and lifted the sword so it rested in my palm. I could fight well with one, due to more Elvin training, and could easily tell it's quality. I was surprised, this sword wasn't that of the average Atran knight. This was a sword of fine quality. Lightweight, fine workmanship. I saw an insignia on the sword's sheath, and discovered it to be that of a crown with a red rose. This insignia was that of Atra's royal family, and was seen in many places. I wouldn't have been surprised for it to be on this young man's helm, but that it was on his sword sheath left me stunned. For someone to have the royal insignia on their sword sheath showed that they were royalty. What was this royal young man doing in the forest? And what was his position? Duke? Lord?
I froze. What if this royal knight was looking for The Forgotten Princess? I set down the sword, and hastily backed away from the sleeping young man. I accidently backed into the horse, and set it to neighing. I turned to quiet the horse, singing in it's ear, and found the blade I had just been admiring set against the base of my throat.
"If you move, you will die," the young man whispered. "Now what are you doing here?"
I could have easily disarmed him-Elvin training, of course- but that would just lead to someone dying in a fight. I don't like to kill, though I have had to a few times.
"I was in the woods, and stumbled upon this clearing. I was leaving when I accidently startled your horse," I replied calmly, changing my voice so that it matched that of an average human girl instead of a mermaid.
The young man removed the blade. I had been surprised at how quickly he had reacted, he must be well trained. He stepped back and sat by the fire, beckoning for me to sit, too.
"What was a girl doing in the woods, alone at night?" the young man asked.
I sat a few feet away in front of him, and folded my hands in my lap. "I'm traveling." I answered as simply as possible.
"Where to?"
"Ranglesbury." I named a town on the other side of the gulf, in the opposite direction I was heading. No sense in telling him where I was really going.
"Why are you traveling by yourself? The woods are unsafe for a woman at night."
I did an internal grin. These woods were safer for me than they were for him. I knew every dryad, fairy, centaur, goblin, naiad, troll, mermaid, siren and unicorn in the area by name. (I know the good and the bad of mystical creatures. The only reason elves, dwarves, griffins, harpies, and dragons weren't on the list is because none lived in the area. That one dragon I'd met lived in a faraway mountain, minutes away for him.) And the only phoenix is my Familiar, which is basically a magician's loyal pet.
"I can manage, sir," I said quietly, doing my best impersonation of a helpless female.
"I would feel better if you stayed here until the morning, just so I can be sure you're safe this night." He laid down, and pulled on the blanket he had been previously using. "What's your name?"
"Annia," I said, telling him the shortened version of my name that my sisters had called me. I was groaning on the inside, now I had to stay here until he was asleep. I don't need sleep, I've been a mermaid so long I no longer have to have it even when I'm human. My body adapted. So now I had to sit here until he fell asleep so I could leave, since no normal peasant woman would refuse the offer of a knight. Perhaps I was too good at my impersonations.
"Hello, Annia. I'm Jonathan." Jonathan closed his eyes, and rolled over so he faced the fire. "Good night."
I laid on the grass, listening to Jonathan breathe. "Good night."
Eventually, Jonathan fell asleep. I sat up then, and watched him sleep. This was an interesting person, and kind too. Rare qualities in most people. I put my head in my hands. I had heard of him somewhere before, but where? This was my punishment for not paying more attention to human affairs. I sat back and watched Jonathan's chest rise and fall as he slept. He really wasn't a bad looking human. He had short black hair that he let fall into his face and cover his eyes, which were a beautiful emerald green. His skin was tan, he'd probably been traveling for a long time. His other features were like that of any other human, only without a single flaw but one. He had a scar on his right cheek. It was three straight, side-by-side white lines that stood out in the firelight.
I looked at the mark, wondering where he'd gotten it from. After a moment pondering this, I stood and walked to his horse.
"Willa," I called quietly, no longer disguising my voice. "Willa, will you come here for a moment?"
Almost instantly the dryad appeared next to me. The tree spirit wore a white dress with flowers in her brown hair, and her skin was the same shade as that of the willow tree she was born with. When the tree died, she died.
"What can I do for you, your majesty?" Willa asked. Her voice was light and feathery.
I rolled my eyes. "Willa, I may be the adopted daughter of the mermaid queen, but we've known each other for years, don't call me your majesty! Call me Annia."
Willa nodded. "All right, Annia. What can I do for you?"
"I'd like to do a favor for this young man," I gestured to Jonathan. "I would like it if you could tell the other mystical creatures of the forest that this young man is under my protection. Any that harm him will answer to me."
Willa nodded, but seemed confused. "Why? Why do you not wish him harmed?"
I shrugged. "He was kind to me, such a thing I have not seen from humans in many a year."
"I see." She still seemed skeptical.
I sighed. "Could you do that for me, please?"
"I'll get right on it." Willa was gone as fast as she'd come.
I rummaged in my pack for a second, and took out a small blue seashell. The small cone was one of the first shells I had collected as a mermaid, and I carried it with me everywhere. I kissed the small shell before placing it next to the knight's head, wishing him luck in his journey home, because he would never have luck in finding The Forgotten Princess. Not if I had a say in it.
"Good luck," I whispered. For a moment, I thought I felt a bit of warmth rise to my lips, but I ignored it.
Then I shrugged on my pack, and began walking toward the trees; heading the opposite direction from which I had come.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this chapter, even if it is the first.