Kids Are Forever

You Promised To Wake Up

Evgeni's POV
There he was, my little guy lying in the bed with doctors and nurses all around him. He seemed much smaller than he actually was; dwarfed by all the machines and tubes that stuck out of him like he was pin cushion.

He looked so pale, so weak, so helpless. Just how I felt completely helpless.

I hadn't even noticed myself crying until I felt a hand on my back and man saying he was sorry.
I looked up at it was the doctor who was performing the surgery standing right next to me, staring at my son.
"He's a good kid."
"What?" I frowned at him, how did he know anything about my son?
"Just before the surgery he and asked me to make sure he woke up because he promised his dad he would. Now I made a promise to that little boy and I plan on keeping it," he turned to me and offered a small smile.
"Thanks, you not know what that means to me."
"Believe me I do," I looked up at him waiting for him to explain, "see people don't just because it's a rewarding job, if you look behind every doctor there's a story. My brother died when I was 12 years old from a heart attack, he was 17, a big shot footballer and he died of a heart condition and ever since then I made it my job to never let anyone go through that."
"I am sorry," it was a little more reassuring that he knew what I was going through from personal experience and not just some doctor on repeat.
"Look we're going to be moving him to the ICU ward in about 20 minutes, I will come and get you so you can see him."

I didn't want to let Clark out of my sight but I had to go see everyone else.

"Evgeni!" Kate ran into my arms, "where did you go?" she panicked.
"I saw Clark."
"What? Is he ok? Why didn't you wake us?" she looked up at me with terrified eyes.
"The doctor said he not well," I couldn't even muster up enough energy to put any effort into my expression.
"When can I see him?" she grabbed onto my jacket as I began to walk away.
"Soon," I collapsed into the chair.

"Evgeni," she knelt down in front of me between my legs, "honey."
"I can't do this," I closed my eyes and let the tears fall down my cheek, "first Asher, now Clark. What if he not make it?"
"He will," she cupped my face with her soft hands.
"You not see him, you not see what he look like."
"I can hope," she lent up and kissed my lips, "just like you should."

Kate’s POV
I couldn’t let Evgeni give up hope. There was no way he was going to give up on our son now. He hadn’t done it before; he wasn’t going to do it this time.

“How is he?” Sid walked into the waiting room with his wife and son in tow.
“Geno,” he sat down next to the motionless man next to me.
“How is he?” he repeated.
But he still getting anything out of him.

I really hoped this would only be temporary and I could have my son and husband back.

“Daddy,” Nicky tried to climb up into his lap.
“No,” Evgeni put him back on the ground.
“Evgeni,” I looked at him disapprovingly.
“Not now,” he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Mummy,” he looked up at me with his sad, tired eyes.
“Come here baby,” I picked up our confused little three old and just held him.
He didn’t understand what was wrong with his brother and he was just as scared as we were, but it wasn’t an excuse for Evgeni to push everyone away.

“Mr Malkin,” the doctor stood at the doorway looking straight at Evgeni.
“You can see him now.”

Evgeni couldn’t have gotten up any faster as I had to hand over Nicky in hurry and rush after just to keep up.

“Babe! Evgeni! Wait up!” I caught his arm as he stopped in front of those terrifying big white doors. How I hated those doors so much.

“You ready?” he turned to me and latched onto my hand.
“Yeah, I want to see our son.”

I finally understood why Evgeni was acting the way he acted. Seeing Clark’s little body with all the machines and tubes. He was our little boy in so much pain.

“Clark,” I had to stand back and watch Evgeni by his side because I couldn’t bare to touch him.

I could see the tears about to fall from Evgeni’s eyes as he ran his hand through Clark’s hair. His eyes fell on the same thing mine did, the tube going in his mouth. The thought that my son probably couldn’t breathe without it, it was hard to fathom.
“You promised to wake up,” Evgeni looked down at Clark like he had been let down.
“Please keep it,” he lent down and kissed his little forehead.

“Kate,” Evgeni looked over at me with tears in his eyes, “come here.”
I began crying as he wrapped his arms around me.
“He’s going to be ok right?” I looked up at him.
“He’s a strong boy,” he caressed my face.

“Here,” Evgeni grabbed my hand and put it on Clark’s head. He made me run my hand through Clark’s hair something I always did but couldn’t bring myself to do.
“He know we here, go on.”

“I love you Clark,” I lent down and kissed his forehead, “please be ok sweetie,” I traced his little soft skinned face.

My mood was up and down. I didn’t know how to feel. I wanted to be positive, I wanted everything to be ok but at the same time I couldn’t help but feel so down seeing him. I guess we were going to have to get used to that for a while now.