Kids Are Forever

Some Days Are Better Than Others

Kate's POV
The kids had been reminding us everyday that Christmas was soon, but just how soon we had completely forgotten. 

They had advent calenders, they had decorated the house, they were home from school but somehow we had still forgotten just how soon it was. That was until Clark reminded us.

"Mum," Clark laid in his hospital bed resting having one of his down days.
"Yeah baby," I put my book down to pay attention to him.
"Will I be home for Christmas?"
"I hope so sweetie, if you keep getting better you will be," I ran my hand through his hair. 

With four days to go and almost no shopping done, Christmas was sure going to be quiet this year.

"Speaking of Christmas you still haven't told me what you want," I sat next to him and he moved to rest his head in my lap.
"I just want to go home," he mumbled.
"Yeah I know," I lent down and kissed his head.

"Mum I feel sick," he held onto my hand so tightly.
"Do you want me to go get a bucket incase you are?" I ran my hand through his hair.
"Yes please," he hadn't eaten much but when he did he was always feeling off afterwards.

I walked out to the nurses station and Evgeni was heading my way.
"Hey," he came up and gave me a kiss on the forehead, "how is he?"
"He's feeling a little under the weather today."
"I wait or go in," he gestured between me and the hall that led to Clark's room.
"No you go ahead I will be there in a minute."
"Ok."

He hurried off. Every time one of the kids felt a little off Evgeni was always there with them trying to make them feel better.

Evgeni's POV
"Dad," Clark really was looking rather unhappy as I slipped into the bed next to him.
"Hey bud," he slung his arm over my stomach and hugged me as tight as he could.

"What's wrong?" I felt his forehead.
"I don't feel well," he buried his face into my chest.
"It's ok," I put my hand on his back and rubbed in circles as I spoke to him in russian to get him to sleep.

"See only you can do that," Kate smiled from the door at me.
"Special russian touch."
"That you do have," she had a cheeky smile on, one I hadn't seen in a long time. 

There was a knock at the door breaking up he tension building between and thank god for that because if she had have kept that up I don't know how desperate I would have gotten.

"Hey how's he doing?" The doctor walked in with his clip board in hand.
"Yeah he's feeling a little off today," Kate    sat on the edge of the bed next to me, "would you like me to wake him?"
"If it's not too much hassle, just want to check him over."

"Hey Clark, wake up the doctors here to see you," she lent over and ran her hand through his hair and kisses his head.
"No," he mumbled tightening his grip on me.
"Yes come on, wake up," she tickled his neck.

He rolled away from me and in desperation for him not to fall I grabbed him a little too roughly.
His eyes widened in fright before he broke down in tears.

"Oh Clark I am sorry," I pulled him back to me.
"Hang on," the doctor stopped and check his incision which was thankfully was fine before he hand over a pillow, "put it between you and his chest just to be safe."

So I did just that. He laid on my chest with a small soft pillow between us so he wouldn't be hurt as we tried to calm him down.

"I am sorry buddy, I am sorry," I showered his head with kisses. He was so delicate it felt odd to be treating our 8 year old like he was Nicky or Zach.

The tears eventually did stop and he wore himself out to where he was sound asleep with his head tucked away in my neck.

I hadn't held him like this since he was 4 or 5. He was very much his mothers little boy and to be able to hold him as if I could shield him from all the pain was nice.

"Will he be home for Christmas?" Kate asked as the doctor finished his check up.
"If he isn't feeling better tomorrow it will probably be better if he stays. I want to make sure he can eat properly before he goes home."

Now we just had to hope that he would wake up in the morning and this little thing going on would be gone and he could be home with us.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Clark is a very simple kid I wish my nephews were that easy to please on Christmas