Kids Are Forever

Getting Our Very Merry Christmas

Kate's POV
"Mum! Dad! Santa's been!" Luka and Lacey came running into our room with Nicky in tow.
"Santa!" our three year old threw himself on top of Evgeni not giving my poor husband the chance to wake up peacefully.

"What are you doing?" Evgeni rolled over and smothered him into the blankets.
"Dad no," Luka tried to help his brother.
"And you too," he grabbed the boys and ruffed them up.

"Watch out Rocky is coming!" Asher warned as the large dog came thundering down the hall and jumped up on the bed.

"Get them Rocky," Evgeni encouraged the dog to get the kids as they continued to scream and fight their way free.

"Merry Christmas," Asher stood at the door with Zach in his arms.
"Merry Christmas boys," I sat up and patted the bed next to me.

"Have you seen Clark?" I asked as Asher sat down and passed Zach over.
"He's still asleep, he came into my room last night because he couldn't sleep."
"Aww poor thing, is he ok?" I began to worry.
"Yeah he's fine he was just lonely."

Clark had been sleeping in his own room since getting sick so that both him and Zach could get enough sleep but then when he was in hospital Evgeni and I were always there so he was missing everyone's company.

"How about you guys go downstairs and wait while dad and I go get Clark?"
"Ok," Lacey jumped off the bed before turning around and helping Nicky down too.
"Hurry," Luka took off with the others in tow.
"Take your time," Asher picked up Zach, "I will make sure they wait," he offered a reassuring smile.
"Thanks."

"I know we aren't supposed to favor our children but Asher is doing a good job of being the best right now," I snuggled into Evgeni's arms.
"Yeah but that's because he is grown up."
"It feels just like yesterday that he was climbing into bed with us in the morning," I sighed remembering how times had changed.
"Yeah," he sighed tucking my head under his neck.

We got a few more minutes before we knew we had to get up otherwise the kids would be back and demanding our attention.

Evgeni's POV
We snuck into Asher's room to find Clark snuggled up in amongst the blankets. If I thought he was small in his bed, he looked tiny in Asher's double bed.

"Hey Clark sweetie, wake up," Kate climbed into the bed next to him.
"No," he mumbled.
"Come on," I slipped in on the other side of him.
"No," he tried to pull the blankets up over his head.
"Rocky!" I called knowing the big dog would get him up.

"No," Clark giggled as Rocky crawled up the bed to him.
Even though he was a big dog and I played rough with him some times he knew to be careful with the kids. He would never snap at them and kept his big claws away.

"Santa's been," Kate reminded him but he wasn't interested, he looked way too tired to be bothered by it.
"You love Santa," I stroked his cheek.
"Yeah but sleep," he rolled over and buried his face into the pillow.
"No come on," I grabbed him and through him over my shoulder.

"Dad!" he complained as we headed down the hallway.
"What?" I stopped.
"Your hurting my chest," he wriggled trying to get down.
"Oh sorry," I pulled him down and he attached to my hip.

"Hey dude," Asher smiled as I put Clark down next to him and Zach, "How are you?" he pulled his little brother into his side. Asher was so good with his brothers and sister, I never had any doubt in my mind that if something happened to us they would be ok.

"Dad can we open our Santa presents?" Luka piped up.
Kate gave him her motherly look because all of a sudden his manners were gone.
"Please," he looked sorry so I nodded for them to go ahead.

I loved watching the kids as their smiles grew bigger and bigger with each present that they pulled out.

The twins pulled out two nerf gun and Kate shot me a death glare, "what?"
"Santa told me you shot anyone with them I get to take them away," I pointed to them about ready to shot each other.
"But dad?" the whined in unison.
"Not my rules, Santa's."

It was then that I noticed Clark hadn't touched his presents and was still sitting snuggled into Asher's side as the kids laughed and played with their new toys.

"Aren't you going to open your presents?" I sat down next to him and put my hand on his knee.
"I don't want to," he shrugged.
"Why not?" I ran my hand through his hair.
"Because," he grumbled wrapping his arms around my mid section.
"Here," Asher got up and brought back his Santa sack and put it in front of him.

All the kids huddled around and watched Clark as he pulled out each present.

"That's so cool," Luka pointed to the mini basketball ring.
"You put this on the back of your bedroom door and then you can play inside," I showed him the picture on the back.
"Cool," he sat up and suddenly looked interested in his presents.

Most of his Santa gifts were movies and toys that he could play with while he got better and he was more than happy with just them.
But when it came to the presents we gave him he was over the moon.

"Thanks dad," he threw his arms around me when he was only half way through opening his New York Nicks Jersey.
"Mum picked it," he ran climbed over me and wrapped his arms around her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
"Thanks mum."

I saved the best present for last and headed off to find him.
"What are you doing?" I found Clark laying on the floor in his bedroom drawing.
"Just drawing," he tilted his head to get a better angle.
"Your Jersey looks cool," it was over sized but completely adorable.
"I know, I love it," he smiled up.
"That's good but I have one more thing."
"What else do I need," he sat up.
"I promised you I would take you to a basketball game didn't I?"
"Yeah," a smile was creeping onto his face.
"Well," I pulled out two tickets to see the New York Nicks the day before his birthday.
"You mean we get to go to New York?" he stood up with a huge smile on his face.
"As long as you keep getting better yes we can."
"Thanks," he threw his arms around my neck.
"It's ok buddy."
"I love you dad."
"I love you too."

"Can I go tell mum?" he bounced on his toes.
"Sure, go on," I tapped his back as he disappeared shouting out "Mum!"

My eyes fell on his drawing that sat on the floor. It was a picture of me and him playing basketball together and written across the bottom 'I have the best dad in the whole world'.

I could feel the tears beginning to well in my eyes. I didn't know about being the best dad in the whole world but I knew I had the best son in the whole world. I love it when he smiles. It's cute when he laughs. Every time I look at him I remember the first time he looked into my eyes and now I can't imagine my life without him. Yep that little boy has me wrapped around his little finger. They all do.