Kids Are Forever

We Are All Full Time Fathers Now

Kate's POV
"Can Clark come play?" Ben, Sid's 6 year old son came running up to us at the dining table.
"If he wants to," I shrugged as he wrapped his arms tighter around me.
"Clark come play," Ben waved for him to follow.
"Go on sweetie," I ran my hand through his hair.
"No," he mumbled.

Evgeni lent over and whispered something in Ben's ear.
"How about we go draw?" He smiled:
"Ok," Clark perked up, "we go to my room," Clark headed off upstairs.

"How's he holding up?" Sid asked gesturing to the stairs.
"Yeah he's ok, I think he's taking it in his stride. Kind of just going day by day. Sometimes he goes backwards but it's more just his mood now."
"Poor thing," Vero chimmed in.

"How about you guys?" Craig spoke up.
"Yeah we're ok," I offered Evgeni a small smile as he put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his side.
"It's must be hard going through the whole thigh again," Craig and Anne had been with us the whole time Asher was sick and they had been close by with Clark too.
"Yeah it's hard but there's not much you can do," I shrugged.

Boxing Day had become the day that we all got together. Just like old times when all guys played. Now most of them were off doing the dad thing, pretty much everyone stayed in Pittsburgh they didn't want to take the kids away and the city was a good place to be. They all loved it and it was going to take a lot more than just retiring to get out of the place.

Everything was ok until Zach started crying upstairs and I had to excuse myself. 

"What's wrong baby?" I picked him up and he held onto my neck.
He was so precious and I was dreading our last little sprout growing up. I wanted him to stay this age forever. Where he loves to cuddle and just be with you but at the same time doesn't talk, just laughs and makes funny noises.

"Is everything ok?" Evgeni stuck his head in the room.
"He's just being fussing."
"Come here," Evgeni put his hands out and Zach snuggled up to his dads chest.
"Let's just go back downstairs," I suggested grabbing Zach's bottle.

I checked on the boys in Clark's on the way past. They were just happily lying on the ground drawing pictures and arguing about which sport was better, hockey or basketball.

"Hey you two place nicely," I pointed to them with cheeky smiles on their faces.
"We are," Clark looked so innocent.
"Well good... Do you need anything? Are you sore?"
"No I am fine," he was smiling and preoccupied so I was convinced for now.
"Ok if you need anything just call."

Evgeni's POV
Honestly I missed playing hockey with the guys. I missed being in the locker room and feeling like a part of the team but now we were all washed up full time fathers.

"Hey Asher, how's the hockey?" Sid smiled knowing Ash would fill us in and keep the hockey going strong.
"Good, it's hard work but good."
"You working out everyday?"
"Hey Sid, my son I teach," I frowned.
"Your weak," Sid smiled.
"Yeah dad your weak," Asher laughed, he was always picking on me.
"I still beat you in face offs," I narrowed my eyes at the Canadian who wasn't always as nice as they say he is.
"You want to go? I could still beat you."
"No Sid's lame, Russians are better, I put you to shame. You go cry to Stacey." The amount of times Sid used to suck up to his wife when I picked in him, I had lost count, "or you big boy now?"
"It's on Geno," he stood up but when we saw it snowing outside he gave up.
"Scared you lose, it's ok we not tell Mario," I slapped his shoulder.

Yeah the guys were like my brothers and I missed having them around. I had been so caught up in what was going on in my life that I had completely forgotten about them. We never made time to go out to lunch or take the kids to the park, we just didn't do it. But I was hoping that would all change.

"Mum?" Clark stood in the doorway to the dining room looking at us with sad eyes.
"Yeah bub?" She put her arm out and he ran into her embrace.
"I have my stuff," he pointed up the the clock because he knew when the little hand was on the one and the big hand was on the twelve that he needed his medication.
"Sure sweetie," she got up and took him into the kitchen.

"He's a good kid," Marc smiled.
"He reminds me of Asher when he was little," Craig looked over at my little boy happily taking everything that was thrown at him.

He was a strong little boy and he wasn't going to let something like this just take over. He was too determined.