Kids Are Forever

When You're Going Through Hell

Evgeni's POV
Watching my son get back out there and have fun was the only thing that was making me happy. I loved getting out there with him too. The doctor told us not to worry because Clark would stop when he knew he had enough, or so we thought.
“Dad you suck,” he poked his tongue out and threw the ball up into the ring.
“No,” I jumped up and snatched the ball before it went in.
“Aww dad that’s not fair,” he pouted.
“Yes it is, you better at basketball, I need to win somehow,” I passed him the ball back.
“Fine,” he bounced the ball through my legs and ran after it, a typical Clark move that I fell for every time.

"Geno loses," Marc smiled.
"Shut up," I threw the ball at him to test if his goalie skills were still any good.
"You suck," he threw it back.

"I win," Clark smiled.
"No next goal wins," I passed it back to him.
"Dad I already won."
"You afraid of losing?"
"No I always win," he grinned widely.
"Oh really? prove it. Shot from there," he was back somewhere near where the three point line would be.
"Ok," he accepted the challenge like he did everything else.

He bounced it a few times and looked rather intense. I knew he was getting worn out at this really would be the last shot before we went inside.

"Go."
"Don't rush me dad," he bounced it a few more before readying himself. He jumped and let the ball go. We both watched as it sailed through the air, I was hoping it didn't go in or he would be bragging all day but at the same time it would have been an impressive shot.

"Damn!" He stopped his foot as it hit the ring and began to bounce away.
"Race you," I began running after it and chased him as the ball bounced away.

"No dad stop!" He screamed as I was right behind him as he broke into fits of laughter.
"Dad!" he stopped dead in his tracks as I snatched the ball from the air.

"Dad," he began breathing heavily and he put his hand to his chest.
"Dad... I can't breathe," he puffed and he looked to be in pain.
"Marc get Kate," I dropped the ball and rushed to my son's side.

"Dad," he grabbed onto my arm as I knelt in front of him.
"It's ok, just breathe," I cupped his face as he grew paler and paler.
"I can't," he began to panic.
"Shhh, stay calm," I knew letting him get worked up would make it worse on his already weak heart.
"It hurts," he began to cry clutching his chest.

I picked him up and he buried his face into my chest as he cried and cried in pain.

"Sweetie," Kate met me at the door and took Clark from my arms and put him on his feet.
"Clark," she ran her hand over his forehead to get him to look at her, "what's going on?"
"My chest," he cried.
"Someone call an Ambulance... now!" 

"Alright look baby don't worry, everything's going to be fine," she caressed his cheek but he wasn't calming down.
"Evgeni can you get him a blanket," she began undoing his jacket.

I rushed into the lounge room and grabbed a blanket from the back of the couch.

"Here," I handed it over as he stood freezing in the dining room without a shirt on.

His chest was rising and falling fast, he was going pale and everything began to feel like I was having a bad dream.
"He's pulse is through the roof," she looked up at me horrified.

I was just glad the kids were spending the day with Sid otherwise there would have been more chaos and tears to deal with and it was already hard enough now.

"Dad," he was so weak now as he held onto me.
I wished I could make it all go away, I wished it was me going through the pain, not him. He was just a child and he had a life to live, but not like this.

"Shhh Clark, it's ok," I ran my hand through his hair as he began to calm down.
I was thinking that the silence was better but honestly I preferred the crying, at least then I knew he was with us.

"Hey Clark?" I looked down at his limp body in my arms.
"Clark?!" I ran my hand over his head in desperation for him to answer.

It was then that we heard the ambulance I began to feel a little less worried that help was here.
"Hang on buddy, just hang on," I kissed his forehead and held him to my chest trying not to cry.

When the men walked in I didn't want to let him go. I felt like if I did I wasn't helping, I wanted to help, I wanted him to know I was there and that he needed to just hang in there.

"Evgeni let him go," Kate knelt down next to me.
"No," I finally lifted my head to see all their sad faces staring back at me.
"Honey please, he needs to go, he needs help."
"Dad," he mumbled making me look down at him and I knew I had to let them take him.
I couldn't fight them though I just had to watch as they put him on the gurney and wheeled him out.

Kate asked if I wanted to go with him but I couldn't answer, I couldn't move, I wasn't going to. I was just left on my knees in tears like I was praying but after everything that had happened my faith in god was gone. He couldn't let this happen to a child, what kind of god would do this?
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright guys I am sorry, I really am but it was going to happen sooner or later and as much as I tried to out it off I couldn't... Oh and also I am changing the story name to 'Kids Are Forever' because it's fitting and I had been trying to think of a name for it for ages