Kids Are Forever

This Can't Be Happening Again

Kate’s POV
With Clark being sick I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with him. I wanted to take him to the doctors but I didn’t want to be one of those paranoid parents that they just shrugged off.

With a sick child on our hands it was hard to handle all the daily duties. Getting the kids to school on time was easy but deciding whether Clark should go or not was a whole other story.

"Are you sure your ok?" I sat down next to him and ran my hand through his hair as he munched away on his toast.
"Yes mum, I am fine," he pushed my hand away clearly annoyed at my persistence for the last week.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes," he sighed getting up and taking his plate to the sink.
"Mum if he says he is fine, he's fine," Luka picked up his school bag, "but if we don't hurry we are going to miss the bus."

"Ok but if you aren't feeling well just tell the teacher ok?" I pointed to Clark as he packed his bag to catch up with his siblings.
"Ok I will," he rolled his eyes.
"See you guys when you get home," I waved from the door as they rushed down the pathway.
"You two better watch out for him," I pointed to the twins as they waited for him to catch up.
"Don't worry mum," Lacey shouted.
"We will," Luka waved.
"Lacey stay away from that boyfriend," Evgeni pointed to her waving at us.
"He's not my boyfriend!" she yelled.
"Have fun," I stopped them arguing.

Evgeni had been stirring our little girl up about it all week and she was getting rather short with her dad about it. I think being stuck with her dad helping her was wearing thin, she just wanted her own space.

"Bye!" Nicky jumped up into Evgeni's arms.
"Bye," they all turned around and waved with little smiles on their faces.

"He will be ok," Evgeni put down Nicky as we headed back inside.
"I just can't help but worry about him," I sighed flopping onto the couch.
"It's probably nothing," he sat down next to me pulling Zach into his lap.

By the time it reached lunch time I was ok and ready to just get on with the day instead of waiting around for the kids to get home. But as it turned out lunch time was when I should have worried.

“Kate it’s the school something happened to Clark,” Evgeni came running in and handed me the phone.
“What?” my heart began to race.

Evgeni’s POV
“Hello…” I sat close by as Kate talked away on the phone
“Yes.”
“Mhhm.”
“Ok.”
“Yes, we will be there in soon, ok, thanks, bye.”

“What? Is he ok?”
“He collapsed…” she deadpanned before disappearing upstairs.

I froze; my heart was racing. He collapsed? I couldn’t help but think back to that day that Asher collapsed on the ice. He was so lifeless and fragile, I didn’t want to see another one of my children like that.

“Come on Evgeni, get Nicky and lets go,” she came back downstairs with Zach in her arms.

I still really hadn’t registered that something could be seriously wrong with my little guy but when I saw him lying on the bed in the nurse’s office I knew something was wrong.

“Dad,” he mumbled sounding so weak.
“Hey, what happened?” I knelt down next to the tiny bed and ran my hand through his thick brown locks.
“I don’t know,” his little blue eyes looked up at me and I could see how scared he was.

“My chest hurt,” he began to cry wrapping his arms around me.
“Shhh, it’s ok little man, it’s going to be ok,” I held onto him so tight I didn’t think I was ever going to let him go.

I wasn’t sure if I was telling him it would be ok because I wanted him to believe or I wanted believe it.

We had been through all of this once before and I didn’t think I would ever be ready to see my child go through something all over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok so as asked to clarify the ages of the kids;
Asher - 16 years old
Lacey and Luka - 10/11 years old
Clark - 8 years old
Nikolai (Nicky) - 3 years old
Zachary - 10 months old