Status: Active.

A Family Tradition

Some Uniform Acquired

I made sure I had changed my skirts into my nightgown and had thoroughly washed rid of the dirt and dust to remove the suspicion that I had even thought about going into the attic. It was now very late and still nothing had been packed away properly but the first priority was the seal the letter somewhere safe. I made my decision about the wardrobe now that I had found out that the mirror was actually screwed into the wall, but when I tried slipping it behind the oak wood it wouldn't budge because of how close it was against the concrete wall.

I sighed, knowing that I would never have it behind there tonight, so I went over to the vanity where my jewelry box was, opening it and removing the top that revealed a false bottom. I placed it in there, putting a few bits of old useless jewelry that might cover it up before placing the full lid on. I looked up into the vanity's mirror, sighing at the three sides before grabbing a piece of tissue and wiping the make up from my face. Now it all it was, was a matter of years.

-----------

It was now Monday morning, three days since I had found my father's childhood later and I walked down the wooden stairs, seeing everyone fully dressed and I looked up at the clock to see it was only 8:30AM and I was still in my gown. I headed into the sitting room to see my Uncle placed on the red couch with a cup of coffee in his hand and Alb bringing him the newspaper.

"Where are the girls?" I questioned, pulling my pink robe tighter around my body.

"Getting changed ready for school, they have already eaten breakfast," Uncle told me with a small smile, telling Alb to bring in a cup of herbal tea and some fruit for me.

"School?" I repeated, not quite sure if I heard him the first time. Me and Annabelle were both taken out of school about two days after Father died, our teachers assumed we'd have some sort of physiological stress after the tragic event. "I've never been to a school here,"

"That is fine, Rosie and Daisy will take you and Annabelle there and will pick you both up. You need to finish your last year if you want to be a clothes maker," Uncle smiled at me and the maid came in, handing me my food and drink as I sat down in the single chair. I gave her a polite thank you before she headed back out the room.

"What about uniform?" I asked him, playing with the tip of my fingernails. Being at school always made me on edge, I was never popular and wasn't very smart like Annabelle. The only thing I was good at was sewing, weaving and making clothes, I still make everything myself now but if I'm useless at everything else how far could I go in life?

"My daughters' ones would fit you two. Now you need to shower after you've eaten, freshen up and get changed. Remember, no make up, we don't want our family getting the reputation of having women of the night as daughters," Uncle said in an almost disgusted voice as I bit into my apple with a light nod, just agreeing along the way otherwise he probably would have commented on something else.

Annabelle was inspired by those like Ellen Love, a dancer at the Gaiety a few streets away. She would always colour her lips rouge and wore alot of Maquillage and Mother never protested. A lot of boys used to try and court her whilst we lived back in Cardiff, not to mention all of these boys were rich fellows. That's all Annabelle really cared about sometimes, how much money we had left and how it would effect the family's fortune future.

"Okay Uncle," I forced a slight smile, not quite impressed with going back to a school where I will only be four months anyway before going into work. But I guess I had to give it a shot. I went back upstairs into my own personal bathroom, having a hot bath before getting out and drying so the dressing maids could tie up my bodice underneath my blouse.

I also had to wear a long black skirt and an black cardigan to go over, which wasn't quite my taste because I wasn't really into black. The maid offered to do my hair but I put my hand up and dismissed her, the other thing I was quite gifted in was hair styling too. I pulled all my golden locks up and pinned them to the top of my head and then just staring plainly at myself. I didn't look anything like I usually would, and how I was going to get a husband by looking like a Third Class I do not know.