Status: (Completed) Again, it was apart of a CONTEST so I only had three hours max to write it. Enjoy! It's a quick read, and I forgot to mention I love comments. ;) God Bless!

A Story More Perfect

A Story More Perfect

A Story More Perfect
A Novel

Anonymous

This novel is dedicated to Naomi. This novel is for an amazing person, and an even better friend. It’s a dumb novel, with an even dumber plot, but hey, it was fun <3– Anonymous

I slowly close my eyes, the vibrant world vanishing by the curtain of darkness. The vision subsides in my mind, but the exotic noises and smells of the backwoods erupt furthermore. The call of a blue jay, the banter of squirrels passing melodically from tree to tree. Knowing how many insects and other minute wildlife share this field with me, I open my eyes; paranoid. The serene tranquility seemed to surround me, the last of white cotton-ball clouds floated over the otherwise clear, electric sky. A sense of freedom surrounds my being, no windows or walls to contain my thoughts, no people to criticize them. A copy of Romeo and Juliet lay besides my blanket; the pages stained a lonesome yellow, the ink now faded and familiar from reading it every single summer. I sigh bitter sweetly, knowing my family would be hiking up the road to a freshwater resort within hours. I run my finger through the moistened grass (bringing up tuffs of the dew-covered earth in my hands) and breathe in the fresh field air as if it was my last time sitting in this secure haven, a woven blanket beneath me, and a classic work of art besides me.

***

“Omi, did you pack my swimmies?” The innocent, child-like voice is barely audible, above me stomping the mud out of my boots on the back patio.
“Come outside if you want to talk to me,” I shout over my shoulder, bitter about leaving the countryside to go to some resort a few hours away. “We need some time to get away from the woods and the field and have a little family fun for once,” I reencounter my mother’s exact words.
I lean up against the brick siding of the house, tottering on one foot, trying to slide my mud-ridden boot off my other foot. I clench the limp, wet laces and yank it off, sending me off balance and onto the corner of the brick siding.
“Have a nice trip?” I see my mom grinning wryly from the kitchen window.
“Whatever… Did Elaine need me?”
“Yeah… I think so…” My mother retorts, preoccupied with her final cooking for the trip.
“Isn’t the point of going on vacation not having to do the cooking yourself?” I give up waiting for her response, my voice being buried underneath the scream of the electric eggbeater.
“Elaine, I’m outside, come here if it’s so important” I turn to sit on the pastel patio furniture, but not before I catch my mom’s glare, burning all the way through me.
“I said, did you pack my swimmies, Omi?” my four year old sister (a twin to my other sister, Olivia), Elaine, says kindly while stepping carefully outside.
“No, you’re old enough to pack your own necessities”
“Well… Do you want me to down?”
“Well…”
“Naomi!” My mother’s scolding is yelled through the open window, probably a reliable source of entertainment for the neighbors.
“Yes, yes, I’ll pack your swimmies.”
“Good. Maybe my life will be spared now.” I let out a breathy laugh and shake my head, in awe that the same toddler who still uses the words “swimmies” (The little wings that you put on your arms to help you stay afloat), also spat back the word “spared”.
Having our house placed on a grassy hilltop along with a few other households, I can overlook the quaint city of Semper Solus, where I’ve lived my entire seventeen years of existence. (You can call it fate. Or maybe just getting ‘lucky’, but ‘Semper Solus’ is actually “forever alone” in Latin. Olivia’s already formed her own ‘forever alone’ club in her preschool. My gosh that child scares me sometimes).
The humid air sticks to my skin, miniscule water droplets already forming on the glass sliding door. The clement weather of the field has multiplied its intensity, driving me into my house, trying to escape the relentless and sudden heat. I look at the time, and realize I only have a measly half hour before our departure, and I haven’t even started packing yet. I genuinely have a difficult time getting started on something I really don’t have an interest in investing my time into. I try my best to remain optimistic though, knowing there is no ultimatum for this trip. Walking into the living room to pick up my desolate suitcase, I see Olivia stationed nearly two inches from the TV, watching Oswald, an octopus that has a more eccentric social life than she does. Olivia twirls her sandy hair in her tiny fingers, captivated by the talking sea creature.
“Hey Liv, you all packed?”
“Oswald says you always need to be prepared, of course I’m packed.” I quickly excuse myself from the lavender colored living room, not wanting an altercation with Olivia over how I didn’t listen to Oswald.
Beige suitcase in hands, I kick open my bedroom door clumsily and throw the suitcase on my bed. I look into the mirror, making sure there’s not left over grass from the field still astray in my long dark, mahogany-colored hair. There are circles underneath my light blue eyes, staying up all night to read Romeo and Juliet doesn’t do much good for your sleep pattern. I dismiss the issue and immediately start going through all the drawers of my wooden bureau, pulling out everything I think would be acceptable to wear at a resort. I throw my neon sports bra as well as some dark running shorts in my suitcase, and I also make sure to bring a dinner dress, knowing my mother has been absolutely killing herself over wanting a fancy, sophisticated dinner with the family. I frantically rummage through my dresser, looking for my bathing suit, until I realize (fifteen minutes later) that I’ve already packed it. I throw in every pair of shoes I think I might need, and then some more. I sit on my suitcase, trying to compress all my necessities in order to get the zipper all the way around the track. Frustrated, I put all my weight on it until I finally get the zipper and the end of the track to meet ends.
“Want me to take that down for you?”
“Oh hi Dad, sure, that’d be great! How long ‘til we leave?”
“Everyone’s already in the car. You know how your mother is…” He smiles and pats my head before taking the heaving suitcase off my bed with ease. I grab my phone and ear buds, and say goodbye to Semper Solus. Three days. Three days and I can sit in my field again.

***

“Lainey and Liv! If you don’t quick bickering we will turn this car around right now” my mother turns her attention from the road periodically to scold the twins. My dad sits in the passenger seat of our minivan, fiddling meticulously with the GPS. I turn my music on to try and avoid any conflict, but I can still hear the high-pitched squeals.
“Oh yeahh? Well Oswald is dumb!” Elaine taunts Olivia, fire written in both of their expressions.
“Well at least he’s real. Cinderella isn’t even real.” After at least a half an hour of this constant back and forth taunts, I decide to (bravely) intervene.
“Elaine, Olivia. Please, please be quiet. Guess what? We’re almost there.” I lie ingeniously, there’s at least four more hours of torture left, but who’s counting?
“Omi, I love you.”
“Why is that so, Elaine?”
“Because you packed my swimmies for me!”
“Swimmies! Swimmies!” A chorus of “swimmies! Swimmies!” fills the car, Olivia and Elaine ecstatic that I packed their swimmies.

I forgot their swimmies. Today, I die.

“Dad? Um. Hm. Well do they sell swimmies at the resort? Just wondering.”
“Why? I saw the swimmies inside your suitcase, you are a very responsible young lady, I might add.” He winks at me and points to the trunk, letting me know he packed them for me. I smile, close my eyes and let the music take me under.

Despite the humming air conditioning, the humidity found a way to serpentine its way into our van. Being in the middle seat with two very tired four year olds by me, both of their heads leaning on my shoulders. The terrain has definitely changed; grassy hilltops and wispy fields were exchanged with bustling towns and a highway that seemingly stretched to the end of the Earth. The drone of the tires against the slabs of pavement became engraved in my mind, being the only thing we heard in the silence of our hike. The seatbelt starts to dig into my shoulder blade, and I can feel the sweat forming on my forehead. My mom pulls over, and I start to think that I can escape from both my sleeping siblings and the heat, but really it was a just a pit stop for her to take pictures of my occupied shoulders. I smile, giving a pathetic “thumbs up”. She returns the gesture, and hops back into the driver’s seat. We exit the freeway, somewhat hastily, and come into a decent-sized city called Rayhaven. It easily passes up Semper Solus in population, at least by five times. An electric, flashing sign greets us upon entrance of the city limits, “Home of the Rayhaven Resort: Where you’ll Never Want To Leave”. Doubt that. Totally doubt that. I shrug my numbed shoulders, waking the delusional Elaine and Olivia.
“We’re here! We’re here! Elaine Elaine Elaine Elaine we’re here” Olivia chants, throwing herself at the window, pressing her little nose up against glass, and probably burning her a bit. We pull into the roundabout right in front of the resort, where we’re instructed by a pudgy police officer with no hair to pull into parking space H4. My mom mumbles about “for this price, we should be getting a valet” but that’s just my mom for you. I help Elaine untangle her seatbelt from her beat-up princess car seat, and push open her door for her. Rubbing her eyes slowly, Elaine stumbles out of the car half-heartedly. The humidity is relentless, making us all a little on edge about getting into the cooled resort. I pull the headphones from my ears and crawl over the car seat, making tiny boot imprints on the seat. Elaine and Olivia are already running for shelter from the heat, scampering side by side. I head around to the back of the van and start unloading my suitcase (or attempting to) when I hear a vaguely familiar voice. Too tired to figure it out, I give up tugging and turn around.
“Want some help? You look a little frazzled…”
“Sonnet!” I barrel into my cousin, also seventeen, her long naturally blonde hair sticking to my face. I withdraw myself, and look at her; I haven’t seen her in over a year.
“Surprise!” My mom, and her sister, Bristol, stand on the curb with their own suitcases, beaming. I laugh and run up to my mom, gratitude stained within my eyes. Sonnet’s little brother, Kyler, who’s almost six, runs in and topples over the ecstatic Olivia And Elaine.
“So, did I just make your trip a little better?”
“Yes! Sonnet! You’re my best friend; of course you just made this trip better.” Her piercing green eyes light up with excitement, and she helps me take the suitcase out of the trunk and onto the eroding curb. My aunt Bristol and my mother are already in the lobby, trying to gain control of the three little ones. My uncle Emery and my father are by their nearly parked SUV unloading all their swimming equipment. Sonnet and I walk into the lobby, a windowless plaza-structured area filled with banter and complaints, laughter and arguments. The majority of the people here are families, although there’s the occasional honeymooning couple or grandparents with their beloved grandchildren. The lobby is relatively large, maroon patterned carpet with wooden walls and aquamarine wallpaper. An overly friendly concierge with flaming hair greets us.
“Welcome to the Rayhaven Resort! You must be the Freer family?”
“Yes,” my mother exclaims distractedly, trying to get Olivia and Kyler to stop playing tag around the other guests. Sonnet and her dad are on the other side of the lobby, trying to check in their family themselves. The cooling air coming from the vents in the lobby calms us all, making it all the more enjoyable. My mom comes over after reigning in the toddlers and gives me a room key.
“What’s this for?”
“Sonnet’s birthday is tomorrow, her parents thought it would be fun if just you and her had a room for yourselves, you’re older now so you deserve your own vacation.” I smile and look back at Sonnet, who is squealing; and obviously just finding out about the rooming arrangements. She runs over and hugs me, elated. Olivia comes crawling across the floor and starts to nudge Sonnet’s leg.
“Well hi there, little kitty,” Sonnet says compassionately; she’s always had more tolerance towards Olivia and Elaine’s nonsense than I am. Olivia stands up, hands on her hips, mortified.
“I’m a lion. I kill zebras,” Olivia says matter-of-factly. I laugh and pick her up, kissing her on the top of her head.
“Shush Livy, we’re in public. Why don’t you go to your room with Kyler and get your swimsuits on?” Olivia runs over, grabbing Elaine by the hair and drags her over to Kyler and my parents. Sonnet and I laugh in unison, shaking our heads dreadfully. Sonnet grabs her much smaller suitcase and helps me drag mine over towards the elevator.
“Here, let me get that for you,” a bellhop, about our age, motions towards our suitcase and smiles kindly.
“Oh you don’t have to… really,” Sonnet shyly responds, her cheeks turning a radiant shade of red.
“I insist. I’m Kevin by the way.” Kevin takes my suitcase as well, grinning widely.
“I’m Sonnet, and this my cousin, Naomi.”
“Sonnet, that’s unusual. I love it.” I stand there, feeling like I’m watching a possible marriage unfold. Kevin guides over towards the elevator we step in, we’re all utterly enchanted by the surrounding glass walls, with the waterpark beneath us. Water drips from the bottom of the elevator, making tiny water droplets in the pool below us. The hundreds of ripples it makes are astounding, completely engulfing our thoughts.
“What floor, madam?”
“Four…. Thank you” Sonnet giggles humbly, the blush never leaving her complexion. We’re at our floor within seconds, watching as the pools and slides below us shrink with every passing level. He lets us off at our floor, holding the door for the both of us. Once we find our room, Kevin leaves grudgingly, remorse sewn into his expression.
“I’ll see you around, Sonnet,” he says bashfully, an unavoidable smile caresses his welcoming lips.
“Did you see him?” Sonnet closes the door and leans up against it, star-struck.
“Haha of course, he’s totally into you.”
“I don’t think so… but did you see his dirty blonde hair? Hiss defiant cheekbones? His auburn eyes? His…”
“Sonnet… you like him.”
“I don’t really know if he’s my type.”

***
The hotel room is just two rooms down from Sonnet’s family, and three from my family’s. Our room was oceanic themed; shag turquoise carpet with sand-colored walls. There was about a two-foot border of a school of fish, going all the way around the room. A closet hid behind the bathroom door, containing an ironing table and a few metal hangers. We each take turns using the linoleum-tiled bathroom, changing into our swimsuits. I hold my breath and bite my lip as I unzip my suitcase, weary that I might have forgotten my swimsuit, just as I had forgotten the swimmies. “I gotta stop calling them that.” I think to myself. I dig around the “neatly” packed suitcase until I come across my floral printed bikini; relieved. Barefoot, Sonnet and I trot along the hallway to our parents’ rooms and wait for them to come out. Through the wooden door, we can hear some of their conversations.
“Elaine! Stop hiding your sister’s towel. My goodness you two are dysfunctional.”
“Oswald says that dysfuctio-“
“Olivia! Get your act together, forget about Oswald for just a moment.”
“Swimmies! Can someone help me assemble my swimmies?”
Sonnet looks at me, stunned at their vocabulary usage. I shrug my shoulders and laugh. We hear the latch of Kyler’s room unlock, so we start towards the elevator. I press my face up against the glass, the cooled surface relaxing me. My eyelashes bat against the glass, creating constant wispy noises.
“We’re here! We’re here! Hold the elevator,” my mom herds everyone in, making periodic clicking sounds with her tongue, as if they were all dogs. Riding down, Kyler teaches the twins to jump in accordance, making the elevator snap up like a bungee cord.
“Kyler! They’re going to have to call the fire department if you keep that up, young man” my aunt scolds him, all the while holding in her own laughter.

The waterpark was immeasurable. Slides of all colors looped the ceiling, a rafting ride when diagonally over our heads. The room was filled with the echoes and screams of the wave pool, where hidden turbines generated massive waves. It was hard to believe this massive construction of a resort was indoors. The wall opposite us was entirely filled with windows of all shapes and sizes. Some were glass outlines of dolphins and seahorses. Seashells lined the ceiling, a collage of some sort. I turn in circles, my eyes fixated on the intricate ceiling. Dazed by the beauty of the otherwise stereotypical themed and cheap resort, I flinch when Sonnet grabs my arm and runs me towards the wave pool. I turn head, hair flying in my face, and wave at my dad, letting him know I was going with Sonnet.
“Oh Naomi, you’re such a goody. We’re seventeen. We can go places.” She winks and punches me in the arm. We both run into the serene water, the smell of chlorine stinging our eyes and the temperature of the water making us retrace our steps.
“Come on, Sonnet. The cold water is going to feel good, just remember how hot it was back home?” Pondering the torture of the heat, Sonnet runs in, and my arm still in her grasp. A loud, alarming bell rings and I sigh, aggravated that the second we get in, the fire alarm goes off, until I apprehend that it’s just the warning bell letting you know the waves are about to start up again. Sonnet leaps into the water, only her head bobbing in the crowd of hundreds of people. I join her and we paddle out to the 20 ft. depth mark. There are a few other people up this far with us, all of them antsy for the thrill of danger. The bell ceases it’s obnoxious ringing and the waves start off small, rocking us up and down, up and down. Thirty seconds in, the waves are reaching their full potential, rising above our heads, at least tree times taller than us. The white foam lines the edge of the beast, and it curls it’s edge before lifting us out of the air and setting us back in the water, menacingly. I hear Elaine’s coos of enjoyment from the shallow end, and I picture her with her swimmies on, enjoying every second of this. I swim over a few feet; the waves have separated Sonnet and I a little, and she pulls on my arm, obviously just as excited as Elaine. Not aware of how far we swam out, Sonnet and I are now at least at the 30-40 ft. depth mark. An enormous wave crawls the side of the wall before it changes its course and heads right in our direction. All these rowdy boys see this wave and make a beeline for us, jealous that they’re not apart of this gigantesque wave. We all tread water in this little huddle, and then the wave crashes directly on top of us, sending us all under.

I turn the page quickly (eager to know what happens next, even though times over), too quickly, and pay the consequence of getting a paper cut along the side of my thumb. The field is just as hot, if not more, and a glass of freshly made lemonade sits in a natural cup holder crafted of grass. The moisture sticks to the glass, and I wipe up the cool meandering water droplets with my pointer finger. I hear a noise, a noise so unfamiliar to the field that all the wildlife comes rushing out of the backwoods. It’s as if they were fleeing from something. The birds erupt from the trees, shooting out of the thick branches like cannons. The deer travel in groups up the hill, they’re all trying to get to higher ground. The sound becomes more intense, and before I can place the sound to the object, an enormous wave comes rolling towards the field. The wall of water blocks out the sky, it curls up so high it blocks the sun, making it all the more dark. I scream, but no noise comes out. Not only is my voice restrained, but also my body. I tear at the ground, bringing up grass and bugs, but my legs won’t move. They can’t move. The noise of the approaching wave is horrendous, and I cry out, knowing that my field, my haven, will be destroyed. I thrash around some more before I give up and lay there, letting my lungs fill with water and my heart with despair.

***

“Omi, Omi. Wake up Omi.” I open my heavy eyes and look around the resort. Everyone else’s lives were carrying on, the outcries of commotion and adventure still echoing. My legs are wrapped tightly in a Disney princess towel (courtesy of Elaine) and there’s at least eight people surrounding my beach chair. Sonnet breaks from the crowd around me and sits on the chair, hugging me.
“Don’t scare my like that, child.” I laugh and squint my eyes in confusion, not knowing how I got here.
“But... the field. I was in the field and a wave came, washed everything out… I was trapped though. My legs were trapped to the ground and I just sat there, restrained.” Two emergency room attendants nod their heads, convinced.
“Totally normal. When she swallowed all that water from the impact her subconscious found a new situation that made more sense to her. Her legs being restrained were just merely a replacement of reality; he legs being stuck to the filter on the bottom of the wave pool. She was stuck down there, at least thirty feet.” My mom nearly keels over and dies, but my dad sits her down and kisses her forehead.
“So the field… it’s safe?” Everyone laughs, so I take it as a yes, however not completely convinced that I know what happened.
“So what exactly happened, again?”
“When that huge wave came, this boy right here was thrown on top of you by the wave, and the impact pushed you down so far that when you hit the filter, you legs got stuck to the bottom, so you just sat there, cemented to the bottom of the pool. I nearly died I was so scared.” I laugh, and demonstrate my mobile legs, and I think everyone let out a sigh of relief. Sonnet helps me up and gives me a big hug, and I wrap my arms around her shoulders, thankful she noticed I wasn’t resurfacing. I notice a boy standing besides me, and then a wave (pun intended) of embarrassment wash over me, realizing this was the boy who sent me under. Sonnet lets go of me and the boy steps in, grabbing both of my hands.
“I am so sorry. I promise, I don’t usually try to drown every extremely beautiful girl I see. This was an accident.” I immediately get so self conscious, my cheeks probably about as red as Sonnet’s were, but I laugh off the compliment and play it cool, something I’m relatively good at.
“Haha, no problem. I feel like such a loser…”
“Don’t! I mean, you didn’t have to nearly kill yourself in order to get my attention, you already had it from the time you walked in.” His voice is soft and poetic like, as if he was speaking in iambic pentameter.
“Haha, sureee. I’m Naomi by the way, and this is Sonnet,” I hold out my hand to where Sonnet was standing, but she’s over by the window inviting Kevin over.
“Ah, Naomi. What an exotic, perfect name. It’s Hebrew, it means ‘pleasant and beautiful’.”
“And you would know that because…”
“I’m a bit of a poet…” The boy quietly remarks, unable to meet my gaze. His light hair is in between dry and sopping wet, making it a unique shade. His vibrant eyes scan the ground, almost ashamedly.
“That’s really cool. Writing goes beyond what normal words can. I’m a bit of a Shakespeare fan girl.”
“Really? Wow. Romeo and Juliet?”
“I read that every summer. Each time I read it, it somehow gives itself a different meaning. That’s the power of poetry, it never really is what it seems. What was your name, by the way?”
“Shakespeare. William Shakespeare” My laugher detonates, and I have a hard time recuperating from that before replying softly.
“Haha right and I’m Emily Dickinson.”
“I’m Cole, actually.”
Cole. Cole and Naomi. Naomi and Cole. Hm.

***

I spent the entire day roaming the resort with Sonnet, Cole, and Kevin. Cole and Kevin got to meet Kyler, Olivia, and Elaine (I’m sure that sealed the deal for the both of them. Especially when Elaine admitted to peeing in the hot tub. Three times.). My fingers and toes began to look like shriveled prunes, and the entire facility began to emulate an orange glow, the setting sun shining right through the glass wall. I got the chance to meet Cole’s family, his mom and dad were extremely kind, asking if I was okay and if they needed to buy me dinner and whatnot. He has a three year old little sister, Elliana, who took an immediate liking to me. (More so my sisters)
“Do Enaine and Alaivia like swimming? How about cookies? We brought cookies you know. Unless they’re allergic. Because then I won’t share them.” Constantly mispronouncing their names, Elliana was nearly in tears when I introduced her to the twins. We went on the raft ride that actually goes outside the resort, looping it way in and out of the building at least three times. The heat (still) hasn’t subsided in the least. Afraid at first, I clutch Cole’s arm the entire way down, his laughter mimicking my fear the entire ride. When the raft landed into the pool below us, I jump out of the inflatable and push Cole into the water. He picks me up and spins me around before throwing me into the water myself. We made a reappearance at the wave pool, my arm around Cole’s the entire time.
“You’re okay, I’m not going to kill you. Or I’ll try my best.” I laugh and splash him in the face, sending water everywhere. As the sun goes down and the bags under our eyes get larger, Sonnet and I call it a night. Kevin and Cole take us up in the elevator; both of our families already took the little ones in, crankiness and fatigue washing them over. When we get to our door, it was strangely awkward despite the friendships we all made today.
“Are you two going down the resort tomorrow?” Kevin asks us finally, and honestly.
“Well… tomorrow is my birthday, I think we will for a little, I’m sure Elaine, Kyler, and Olivia will, but I think Naomi and I are going somewhere fancy for dinner tomorrow night.”
“Happy birthday! I have bellhop duty until four, if you were looking for some company for dinner afterwards…”
“Only if Naomi is still alive tomorrow,” Cole smirks cunningly.
“That’d be wonderful.” Sonnet closes the door and I wave goodbye to Cole. If I survive the night, it’d be really nice seeing him tomorrow.
***
Sonnet and I wake up to a furious knocking on our door, and alarmed, Sonnet opens it timidly.
“Hello?”
“Room service. Happy Birthday.” A hotel attendant in a black and white uniform wheels a cart with a stack of pancakes lit up with candles and a pitcher of sparkling orange juice. Sonnet accepts it graciously and calls her parents and thanks them while I start dishing out breakfast. I turn on the miniature TV, and we watch a dumb soap opera that we’ve watched together since were little. Mouth full of pancakes, she turns her attention from the television and tries to communicate with me.
“You and Cole are cute together.” I swallow my own pancakes and try to restrain myself from laughing, but to no avail.
“What? Haha we’re just friends! Plus, he’s not my type. But you and Kevin are adorable.”
“Kevin and I are just friends, too. But my point is, you always friendzone people. He’s really good looking, and you’re gorgeous, embrace it and go for it.”
“Whatever. We’re just friends.”
“You’re gunna break his little heart!”
“Whatever!” I yell through laughter as I get my still damp swimsuit on from yesterday. I slip on the bathroom floor and laugh at myself, unable to stop.
“You’re going to die. Like seriously Naomi, get your act together.” Sonnet yanks on my arm sarcastically. The phone rings just as we’re heading out, and I rush over to pick it up.
“Hello?”
“Thank goodness. You’re still alive.”
“Haha stop! I’m stronger than you think. I didn’t even cry yesterday at the wave pool.”
“I did”
“You’re something else, Cole. I’ll tell you.”
“I have a surprise for you, but I’m not showing you until dinner tonight.”
“Dang it, Cole! Now I’m going to be thinking about that all day now.”
“Great. That’ll make two of us.” His melodic voice and soothing pronunciation of his words sends chills down my spine, making me always wanting to hear more, more.
“We’re going down to the resort now, if you care to join us. Kevin might be there.”
“I’d love to, but today’s my parents anniversary, I promised I’d take care of Elliana for a few hours. She’s still sleeping.”
“Okay, I think I’ll survive on my own. When she wakes tell her Elaine and Olivia love her and she can go play with them anytime.”
“Will do. I love yo- Oh my gosh. I’m so sorry. Haha it’s just a habit from when I’m talking to family”
“Haha sure Cole, sure” I hang, laughing and regroup with Sonnet by the door.
“Don’t give me that look, Sonnet.”
“Whatever,” mimicking me, she smiles and holds the door for me.

Down at the resort, it’s busier than yesterday, however, the wave pool is relatively empty, my story probably getting its way around the resort. Sonnet and I go over to swim laps for a few hours, and it was extremely nice just to reconnect with my best friend.
“I’ve really missed you, Omi”
“I just think it’s funny when we introduce each other we don’t know whether to say ‘cousins’ or ‘best friends’.”
“I don’t think of you as my cousin. I kind of look at it as we’re best friends, and it’s just a bonus that we’re cousins.”
“Awe, Sonnet!” She leans up against the siding, grasping the tiles with her hands.
“Happy birthday, hun” She laughs and races me back to the start, kicking water in my face as I trail behind her.
Sonnet and I spend the day jumping from different areas of the waterpark, the afternoon went by decently quick, but as soon as we emerged from the water and went back to our room, our limbs felt they weighed a hundred pounds. I fish around my suitcase, more carefully now, and pull out my dress.
It’s a one-strap prom-like dress, however, more sophisticated. It’s an electrifying coral shade, and it as a lacy top with subtle, miniscule sparkles. I let Sonnet curl my hair; bouncing ringlets go halfway down my back. Sonnet’s dress is summery, a peachy yellow hue with white lace outlining the bottom. Her hair is pulled back neatly, outlining her face. Standing in front of the full-length mirror, we check ourselves.
“Ready?”
“If you are, birthday girl.”

***
We go to a restaurant that’s inside the hotel, on the top floor with a breathtaking view. Kevin and Cole great us, each of them wearing dark sports coats.
“Welcome to Te Amo, your table is ready,” a waitress in a straight black skirt greets us. Our table is right by the window, intimidating both Sonnet and I, having only a rail to keep us from tripping over it and whatnot. Cole pulls a chair out for me, and I thank him quietly.
“You said you were a poet… what do you exactly write about, Cole?”
“I’ve been a writer my whole life, but I got into poetry when my best friend got into an accident. Writing helped me a lot through that.”
“I had no idea… I’m so sorry”
“No, no. It was two years ago. His name was Eric. Eric Osdiek. He was apart of the golf team at our school, and his cart had a malfunction.” He grabs my hands softly, and pulls me in closer.
“I’m okay. I promise.”
“Good” I smile warmly as he kisses my hand ever so lightly.
“It does become a little tedious though; I’m the only poet-quarterback at my school” Cole smiles, his laugh effervescent and lively.
“I’ve never been to a football game before.”
“I’ll take you to one sometime. I need a cheerleader.”
“I’m… not really cheerleading material, Cole.”
“Be my cheerleader” I laugh effortlessly, realizing I’ve never met someone that could make me smile until my cheeks hurt, for to particular reason at all. I shrug off his comment, somewhat remorseful, knowing tomorrow I’d be going back to Semper Solus.
“You’re different, Naomi”
“Wonderful. Gah! That makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. You sure do know how to talk to the ladies” I slyly grin, the noise of the restaurant drowning out most of our conversations. The constant clink of silverware, and the occasional drop of a china plate or glass cup.
“No, I’m serious. You’re different than the other girls.”
“Thank… you?”
“It’s a compliment. It’s a big compliment if you ask me. You’re your own person, there’s nothing fake about you.”
“Thank you. You’re like that too. I believe you have a surprise for me?”
“Right! Okay. I don’t want this to be creepy, but I made this for you. I wrote it for you. And I mean every word of it.”
Cole hands over the table a cream colored piece of paper, with perfect cursive handwriting. I read it slowly, occasionally glancing up at the perfect, beaming Cole. “My point is you always friendzone people” Sonnet’s words echo in the back of m mind, cutting all the way through my conscious. I try and focus on what appears to be a poem.

I am lost.
A sailor without a compass.
No magnetic needle could pull me away,
From what has engulfed my soul.
Staring, waiting.
Waiting for hours for a crack in the relentless sky.
As the last cloud rolls by,
I start to cry.
A steady trickle from where lights used to be.
Cannot pull myself away,
Cannot bring myself to steal a blink.
The sea, the color of an angry sky,
A fresh bruise, singing of remorse
Has captivated me.
All I can do is stare, wait.
I can watch the sea welcome me,
But withdraw as soon as I come near.
Call out to me sea!
You perilous force!
Come to me, come to me,
Make me stop to stare
And speak in my ear, a sacred whisper,
That you might love me.
I bring myself back.
The sea is gone.
And I find
I’ve been staring into your eyes…
All Along.
“Cole… I…” Tears formulate in the corners of my eyes, and I hand it over for Sonnet to read.
“Nah… I meant every word; it’s terribly written though. Aren’t you a little… scared? I hope you’re not.”
“No… Cole…. I don’t know what to say. No one’s ever gone to that much trouble for me. I gasp in between words, and try to match his radiating smile.
“I don’t know… when I first saw you, I just remember thinking ‘You are supposed to go talk to that girl’”. I scoot my chair back and walk around the rectangular table, meeting Cole half way. He holds out his arms, grinning, and I walk right into him, embracing him lightly. I look up into his eyes and smile, rethinking how I felt before this trip. Before this trip, I felt that my field was the happiest place in the entire universe. Being in Cole’s arms, that statement’s obviously been improved.

***

“Can’t believe you’re leaving. Today.” Kevin mopes over breakfast as Sonnet tells him her plans for the day. Our only plans being eating breakfast in the country café with Cole and Kevin. Cole’s avoided the subject all together, only asking me about my personal life; small talk being his lifeboat right now.
“You like your school, Naomi?”
“It’s alright. I’m predicted Valedictorian but kids can be cruel sometimes.”
“Tell it to the football poet.” I laugh and pat his large, muscular hand genuinely.
“What’s your favorite color?”
“Green. Cole… are you avoiding the subject of my departure?”
“No. What’s your favorite animal?”
“Cole!” He smiles and sticks his tongue out, childishly. Sonnet exchanges numbers with Kevin, and promises to drive up for spring break with me.
“Cole, our sisters are practically inseparable, I’m sure we’ll see each other soon. When you’re a famous author, call me up and I’ll come to your book signing” He smiles hopelessly at my effort. After breakfast is finished, we all sit their, avoiding our waitress’s eye contact, trying to hide from the inevitable. When Kevin finally goes up to pay with Cole, Sonnet grabs my hand and walks me to the front of the restaurant, where our parents sit waiting in the cars.
“Okay. That’s it.”
“I’ll see you around Cole.”
“Your optimism gives humanity faith after all, Naomi. Please don’t change.”
“I won’t. I promise.”

The ride home was much less anticipated, for the all of us. Everyone was leaving behind something. My sisters were leaving their new friend, my parents leaving behind the calamity and relaxation of the resort. I was leaving Cole. I put my headphones in, trying to block out the world for now, but don’t start my music. I close my eyes and let the world surround me. I press my lips into a smile as I feel both Olivia and Elaine fall asleep on my shoulders. I rotate my head to either side, kissing both of their sleepy heads.

Back home, I was very unsurprised to learn nothing happened in Semper Solus. The field awaited me, not flooded or destroyed. I run up to my bedroom, and heave my suitcase onto my bed, and lie on the floor and listen to the complaints of the twins. Without thinking, I grab my copy of Romeo and Juliet, strap on y bots, and run out to the field. I lie on my picnic blanket, book in my hands, and start to read. As late afternoon ends, I have merely a page left. Before finishing it, I look around the field. My field. I notice the dandelions that occupy the outer ring. I take note of the bird gathering everything it can for it’s nest, high up in the trees. I take in the perfectness in the situation, and read the last page of something I truly love.
I promise myself every year that I wouldn’t cry at the end of the book, but I fail, summer after summer. Nearly in sobs, I read aloud the last line.

“For there was never a story more full of woe than Juliet and her Romeo”
I close the book. I close my eyes. I close out the world, and breath in the air I’ve learned to cherish. Twigs crack, and I expect the deer are starting to come out. Accustomed to the wildlife, I remain my current position, welcoming whatever wildlife was coming to scope me out. I hear the familiar flattening of grass as something come closer to me. Still weary from the ending of the play, I continue to lie on my blanket until whatever was coming, goes away. Or so I think. I feel someone’s face press up against mine, the warmth of their lips gently speaking in my ear.

“For there was never a story more perfect than Naomi and her Cole” I look up, stunned. Cole crouches by my blanket and brushes the hair out of my tear-filled face.
“That’s how it should end, you know.”

The End
♠ ♠ ♠
This was apart of a contest, had to write it under three hours. That's why it stinks :P Have an amazing day, and it would make my entire... life if you commented! More (better) poetry and original fiction to come! Only if you want, of course! :)