Lessons Learned I

Rachel 012

It was that Friday. I was waiting for Adam to arrive at my dorm room. I was nervous, yet annoyed. Lee was unfortunately out somewhere, so I was by myself.

I heard a knock at the door. I sighed and trudged over to the door, then opened it to, of course, reveal Adam.

I forced a small smile. "Hi," I said.

He smiled. "Hey. Ready?"

As ready as I'm gonna be... I thought to myself.

"Yeah," I said.

"Okay. Ladies first," he said, motioning toward the door.

I smiled a little more at him. "Thank you." We began walking down the hallway in the complex. "So...where are we going?" I asked.

"This seafood place downtown. I hear they've got good lobster."

"Oh. That sounds cool."

We arrived there twenty minutes later. The waiter gave us our menus and left us alone at our table to decide on what we wanted.

"Order whatever you want, I'll pay," he offered.

"Oh, that's okay. I brought money."

"No, no, I insist."

"Well...if you're sure..."

"Please, let me pay the bill."

I smiled a little at him. "If you're sure."

"I invited you, so it's only right for me to pay."

"Hm, you're a gentleman after all," I said, smiling at him a little more.

"Well, not to brag but..." He laughed a little.

I smiled and chuckled a little.

The waitress walked back over. She loudly popped her gum.

"What do y'all want?" she asked.

I looked at Adam to see him looking at me.

"You order first," he said.

I smiled a little, then looked down at my menu. "I'll take the seafood sampler...thing," I said, handing her my menu.

"Kay, hon," she said, writing it down and blowing a bubble. "What do you want, handsome?" She winked at Adam.

"Um...shrimp scampy," he said.

"Fine, sugar." She smiled and wrote it down. "What do y'all want to drink?"

"Water for me, please," I said.

"Ditto," he said.

"Kay. Be back shortly with y'alls drinks," she said. She winked and walked off.

I gave her a weird look, then shook it off and looked around. It was rather fancy-ish, in my opinion. For a 'date' with a 'friend', that is, although it was actually neither...

He sighed. "How's your day been?"

I nodded. "Okay. Yours?"

"Good now that we're together," he said, smiling.

...good to know! I remember thinking. He's acting like we've been dating for years. We're not even dating! Heck, I barely know him!

I nodded and smiled a little, then looked down at the floor.

Hardwood!

He returned my smile. "Hey, so...how was classes? Anything semi-interesting happen?"

"Not really. Alex and I hung out after class, but that's the only interesting thing that's happened today..."

"Hm...Alex..." he mumbled.

I nodded. "Yeah. Remember him?"

He nodded. "He's nice..."

"Yeah...he is..." I caught myself smiling at the air in a daze.

Moments later, he said, "Oh, here, I got you something..." He held up a box of chocolate.

I snapped out of my trance, then looked at the box of chocolate. I looked up at Adam and smiled a little. "Thanks," I said.

Better watch out eating chocolate from a practical stranger... I thought.

He smiled and handed it to me. "You're welcome," he said, smiling.

...I'm getting a trustworthy vibe, but hey, you never know in this day and time...

The waitress came back with our food, so we began talking as we ate.

"So, are you originally from Seattle?" I asked him.

"No, I'm actually from Texas."

I almost ... or actually, I did choke on my water. My eyes widened as I stared at him. "Seriously?!" I exclaimed in a very unlady-like manner.

"Yeah. I hated it. Too much incest shit."

"I can only imagine. You don't have an accent or anything. I must say I'm shocked." I took another sip of my water.

"I'm the only one in the family that doesn't sound like a pig molester."

I began laughing as I sat my glass back down. He chuckled a little.

After we got done eating, we went back to the campus so he could drop me off at my dorm.

"Thanks for dinner," I said politely. "Oh, and the chocolate." I looked down at it as we approached mine and Lee's dorm room.

"No problem."

I thought for a second. "I would invite you in, but I think Lee's probably asleep by now," I somewhat lied.

"Understandable."

I nodded. "Well, uh, thanks again for everything. See you around, I guess." I forced a small smile.

He returned my smile. "Any time. Have a good night." He kissed my cheek, then walked off.

I smiled a little to myself, then unlocked the door and went inside.