Lessons Learned I

Lee 012

Boom!

"Mr. Heinz, that's the fifth test tube this month!" Ms. Geoff barked at Isaac.

"Sorry, ma'am!" he exclaimed. "I'm a shitty chemist!"

"Ugh...class dismissed," she mumbled in an irritated tone of voice.

The whole chemistry class stood up and grabbed their bags, slowly making their way out of the room. I stayed in my seat to finish
copying down what was written on the blackboard.

"Ms. Welsh, I said class dismissed. Even Mr. Heinz has done some good by leaving," she bitched.

"Sorry, Ms. Geoff, I'm just copying down the rest of these notes."

"If you think the teacher's pet route will get you an A, you might as well forget about it. I don't do favoritism."

What the fuck?

"Oh, don't worry, m'am. I'm not into sucking up. I just want to learn something so I can get out of here."

She raised her eyebrows.

"You're a fiesty one. Might want to learn how to bite your tongue; I didn't. That's how I got stuck here in this shithole."

"Hm," I mumbled, throwing my bag over my shoulder. "Good day, Ms. Geoff."

I left the classroom, wondering why the hell I had to take chemistry in the first place.

Ah, now I remember. Dad thought it'd be good in case I wanted to go back to working in a funeral home. Well, news flash, I'd be in Chicago at funeral director school right now if I wanted to do that. Damn fool.

"Yo, dude! Catch this shit!" one of the jocks, Tommy Daley, shouted. He threw a frisbee at one of his fellow jockstrap-fuckers, Chad Murrey.

"Nice throw, bro! The couch will definitely be impressed with your arm this year."

Dim-witted idiots...

I walked past them and stopped at the library. Since Rachel's class wouldn't be getting out for another twenty minutes I figured I'd keep my ass parked on the library steps 'till then.

"Hey, Lee." I looked over and saw Joseph taking a seat next to me. He was wearing dark blue jeans that had a rip in the left knee and a white Tshirt under a black leather jacket.

Ohh, I'm digging his jacket.

"Hey, Joseph. What's new?"

"Free hour. Aren't you supposed to be in class right now?"

"Got dismissed. Some idiot blew up a test tube and...yeah. Teacher got pissed."

"That blows. No pun intended." I laughed a little.

"Not really. I hate chemistry anyway."

"I don't mind it. Then again, I dropped out last year."

"How come?"

"...I kept getting Ds."

I snickered a little.

"I got a B on my last test."

"That shit is hard! I like biology slightly better. At least you get to dissect stuff."

"We had to dissect a frog back in my junior year of high school. One of the veggos got a petition together to stop them."

"I'm guessing it didn't work?"

"Nope. She and sixteen other students got suspended for a week. It was funny."

"My whole family is vegan. I'm not, though. I like steak too much."

"I hear ya." I looked down at my watch. Rachel was supposed to get out of class in ten minutes. "I'd better split. My room mate is getting out of class soon."

"Okay. See you around."

"See ya, Joseph." I smiled at him before getting up and walking off toward the main building.