Lessons Learned I

Lee 013

Rachel and I were hanging around in our dorm room, talking about everything and nothing.

"What was your life before college like?" I mumbled, staring up at the ceiling.

"It was...interesting."

"Something else, huh?"

She nodded slowly.

"Yeah..."

"Odd parents or something?"

"Not really. Well...my mom's a little...weird..."

"I feel ya. My family is pretty dysfunctional."

She sighed and stared up at the ceiling.

"What's your mom like?" I mumbled.

"Obsessed with aliens."

You know how people give others a double take? Well I gave her a fucking twelve take.

"Seriously?"

She slowly nodded her head.

"Wow..."

Someone knocked on the door suddenly. I sighed and got off the bed.

"I'll get it..." I mumbled, walking toward it. I undid the lock and flung the door open. Some dude was standing there.

"...hi, is Rachel here?" he said.

Is this a stalker?

"That depends. Who are you?" I said skeptically, while crossing my arms.

"Adam."

"...oh. She's told me about you. Hold on." I looked behind me. "Rachel! It's for you!"

She walked over and smiled a little when she saw him. He smiled at her.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi, Adam," Rachel looked at me. "That's Adam."

She looked at Adam. "Adam, this is my room mate, Lee."

"Yo," I said.

"Hi," he said meekly.

He's talkative...

She gave him a weird look. He looked at her.

"So, Rach, you wanna go do something?"

"...can Lee come with us?"

Adam looked at me, then at her.

"Um...I was kinda thinking just the two of us..."

"...oh...why?" she cocked her head to the side. I looked between them briefly before grabbing Rachel by the arm.

"Hey, Rachie, can I talk to you for a second...in private?" I mumbled.

"Sure."

I dragged her off into the bathroom and shut the door. I turned and looked at her.

"Do you want me to go along...just in case?" I mumbled.

"I don't really trust ... or know ... this guy well. Every time he sees me, he walks over and invites me to do something. He might be alright, but I don't know for sure."

"Tell him that you and me are going to your mom's house so he won't bother to follow."

She shrugged.

"But I don't know if he's a bad guy. I mean, he could turn out to be a really nice fellow! Like Alex. I had a weird vibe about him, and look." She groaned before continuing: "I hate being so paranoid."

"It's understandable. You never know these days. Someone could be a rapist or murderer and you wouldn't even know it."

"I know..." she sighed. "Why don't you come with us? See what you think of him?"

"Okay. Let's go!"

"THANK YOU." she walked back out and smiled adoringly at Adam.

"Got everything straightened out?" he asked.

"Yeah. Is it cool if I join you two? I don't mean to be a third wheel, but I like to ruin people's days," I said.

She smiled and laughed.

"Well, it's fine with me. Is that okay, Adam?"

Adam gave me a look.

"Yeah...of course..." he mumbled.

She smiled at him.

"Thank you."

We then left.