Lessons Learned I

Rachel 018

I got a good grasp on my books and walked out of my writing class: the last class of the day. I sighed and walked out into the hall. Alex was apparently just getting out of one of his classes as well: he was walking out of a classroom with a whole herd of students.

"Alex!" I said, catching up with him.

He looked at me and smiled. "Hey, Rach!" He glanced at my books. "Here, uh..." He took all my books but one, which was ironically the lightest. He balanced them under his arm and smiled. "How was your day?"

"Thank you, and it was okay. How was yours?" I smiled really wide at him.

"Pretty good. Remember that creepy chick I told you about? She was staring at me in science earlier..."

I snickered. "Feel any sparks fly?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

He laughed. "No, not exactly."

I smiled at him. "Wanna get out of this hell hole?"

"Yes. Possibly forever?"

I laughed as we began walking. "If only."

He chuckled as we finally reached the outside world. We began walking on the trail leading to the campus complex. Out of nowhere, Alex stopped dead in his tracks with a wide-eyed expression. "O-Oh God..."

I gave him a weird look. "What's wrong?"

A really, really tall and skinny chick with red hair and tons of freckles ran over to Alex.

"Hi, Al!" she exclaimed. I snickered, trying my best not to burst out laughing.

"Hi...uhhh..." Alex mumbled.

She looked at me. "Who are you?" she asked.

"Rachel, Alex's friend. And yourself?"

"Ivy. Fitzgerald. Ivy Fitzgerald!" She looked over at Alex. "I saw you in science today! I waved at you, but you didn't wave back! Why?!"

"Oh, I thought you were waving at the dude next to me," he calmly replied.

"Naw, silly. I was waving at you." She winked at him as I snickered.

Poor Alex turned red and slowly nodded. "Cool, yo."

I saw Adam go by in the corner of my eye.

Keep walking, I thought.

Unfortunately, as soon as he saw me, he stopped dead in his tracks and walked over. "Hey, Rach," he said, waving.

I didn't say anything in return. I simply gave him a dull look since he apparently ate like a cow and was not quite the gentleman I had once thought.

Alex glared at him while Adam gave him a rather dirty look. Alex sighed and shook his head.

"So, do you wanna hang at my crib, Allie?" Ivy asked.

"Um...I have a lot of homework. And Rachel and I already have plans..." Alex mumbled.

"Yeah," I said, gently grabbing Alex's arm as if I needed it for some form of protection. Possibly from spaghetti sauce splatters.

"Aw, man..." Ivy mumbled, depressed.

Alex looked down at my hand that was grabbing his arm. He slowly held onto my hand and looked at Adam and Ivy.

Adam and Ivy both gave our hands a dirty look. I simply held on tighter. Alex squeezed my hand in an assuring way.

"So, Rachel, I'm sorry about Friday. How about I make it up to you by taking you out to the movies?" Adam asked in a charming tone.

Alex gave him a suspicious look. Ivy picked her nose.

"No, thanks," I said.

Alex gave Ivy a really grossed out look.

"Aw, come on, just give me a chance. I like you a lot, so..." Adam mumbled.

I cleared my throat. "No offence, and I don't mean this in an 'I'm better than you' context, but Adam, you eat like a pig. I mean...seriously."

"Okay, I'll work on my table manners. I'm really sorry."

"You didn't seem too focused, either," I mumbled, referring to his looking up every girl that passed by.

He looked down. "I'm sorry..."

I paused for a moment. "It's fine," I said, not really caring. I glanced over at Ivy, who was puckering up her lips at Alex.

Alex widened his eyes while Adam sighed. "So...what do you say?"

I paused and contemplated for a few seconds. "I'll think about it," I replied.

"Maybe we could hit the movies sometime soon, Allie. Whaddya say?" Ivy asked.

Adam nodded slowly. "Alright."

"Um...I'm kind of seeing someone," Alex replied.

"Who?!" Ivy exclaimed. I looked at Alex.

He gave me a look questioning whether or not he could use me in a lie.

"Actually," I said aloud, "I'm dating him. Happy as can be." I kissed him on the cheek and smiled, still holding his hand.

Ivy gave me a weird look. "Care for some competition?"

"Knock yourself out, woman!" I exclaimed.

Adam gave Alex a really dirty, freaky look. Alex didn't look like he cared much; he was completely red in the face.

Ivy glanced over at Adam. "Will you go out with me?"

I snickered. Loudly.

Adam stared at her. "Hell no!"

She gave both Alex and Adam a hurt look before running off. I watched her take off and noticed I was still holding Alex's hand. I didn't move it.

Alex stroked my hand with his thumb. I doubt he even realized it since the Alex I knew would have immediately pulled away.

"Well...I'll leave you two alone," Adam said, leaving.

I sighed. "Thank God. I don't want to see him anymore. He's annoying and rude. We were out on a 'date' and he looked other girls up! That's pathetic."

He looked at me. "I'm sorry, Rachel. You don't deserve that." He looked down at our hands before bringing them up to his face. He kissed my hand softly.

I blushed and smiled. "I wish there were more guys like you out there. You would never intentionally hurt a girl, or anyone, for that matter."

He blushed a little before lightly shrugging. "Well...I've always been raised to respect women."

"Wish more guys were. Like Adam. He's charming sometimes. He's never acted stupid like that before, but then again, I don't know him well." I sighed. "I'm going to avoid him."

"That might be a good idea..."

"Yeah..." I sighed again before getting over it and perking up. "So, wanna come back to my dorm? I could use your photographic memory for some Algebraic equations right about now." I laughed a little.

He chuckled. "I'd be happy to."

I smiled and we walked off.