Lessons Learned I

Rachel 023

I was in the library, studying, of course. I sighed and flipped the page in my Civics book.

Of course, my would-be stalker had eventually pester me as he had not done so that day.

And right then was his choice of time.

He wandered over with an enormous book. "Hi, Rachel."

I looked up at him as I raised an eyebrow. "...hi?"

"Um...I'm really sorry about how I have been acting recently. I was very disrespectful toward you and I'm sorry."

I stared at him for a few seconds before slowly nodding. I looked back down at my book. "It's fine."

"So, um... I was wondering if you'd be willing to give me another chance?"

I looked up at him. "I don't know. It's not like you've just done it once; you've done it on multiple occasions."

"I know...and I'm really sorry."

I nodded a little and looked back down at my book, continuing to read. Unfortunately, the words weren't quite sinking in as he was still standing next to my table.

I could feel him staring at me. I slowly looked up at him. I glanced at his book. "Does that have any significance?"

"Look, I just want a chance to make it up to you... Please?"

I sighed. "I guess. I don't really care. I mean, I don't know you well enough to like you or hate you. I could go either way."

"So...you'll give me a chance?" he asked, looking hopeful.

I closed my book and rested my arms on the table. "Why is it so important to you?"

"Because I like you a lot."

"Then why are you so disrespectful at times? And why are you charming the rest of the time?"

"Umm...well, I can't exactly tell you..."

"Why not?"

"It's...nevermind. It's not worth mentioning. So, what do you say? Give me another chance?" he said, looking kind of cute.

I situated my elbow on the table and rested my chin in my hand. "Why isn't it worth mentioning? It's like you have moodswings that can make you go from charming and cute to disrespectful and rude. I can't deal with that."

"I'll control them better. I can't really tell you."

I sighed. "I would interrogate you about it, but it's not really any of my business as I don't know you well enough to even consider you a friend. So, don't tell me." I opened up my book and pretended to study again.

He looked down. "I have some...problems. I have to take supplements to keep my behavior controlled. I ran out for about a week and my parents had to send some out here. That's why I acted so odd."

I looked up at him without saying anything for a few moments. "Are you okay?" I finally asked in a soft, compassionate voice.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure? I mean, you've never hurt yourself or anyone else, have you?"

"No. Well...I hit this dude once that slapped my ex's ass."

I softly laughed. "Well, that's understandable if you two were still dating."

"Yeah, we were."

"Well that's definitely understandable, then," I said, chuckling a little.

He smiled a little. "So...what do you say?"

I pondered on it for a few moments. "Well..."

He stared at me. I sighed and looked up at him. "Fine. But this is your last chance."

"I promise I won't let you down."

I slowly nodded and looked at the huge book in his hands. "What is that?"

"History of Rome." He held it up.

"Ohh, Italy. My great-grandfather was from there."

"I thought you were Italian."

I smiled a little. "Really? Why is that?"

"Eyes."

"Is that a good thing?" I held my head up and rested both my arms on the table.

"Yes. A very good thing," he said in a flirty tone.

I smiled at him. "Thank you."

"Any time. So, uh, is Friday clear for you?"

I shook my head. "Alex and I were gonna hang out."

"Oh. What about Saturday?"

"I'm clear for Saturday."

He smiled. "Wanna go out then?"

"I...don't know," I said, still iffy.

His smile faded; he looked disappointed all of a sudden.

"Think Alex could possibly come along? I mean, if we're just gonna go catch a movie or do something like that."

"Sure...that'd be fine."

"Then sure. Thanks, Adam."

He smiled. "No problem, Rachel. I guess we'll talk about it later or something."

I nodded. "I'll see if Alex can come along and get back to you. Is that okay?"

"Sure."

I smiled. "I'll see you around, Adam."

"See ya." He smiled and left.