Lessons Learned I

Rachel 003

The teacher in my writing class had given us an easy assignment on the first day of class, which was a big relief. I got done with it within the first ten minutes, and that includes proofreading it as well. Since I had some time to spare, I began scribbling in my journal.

Unpredictability:
A complex word that complements its meaning.
So many roads and paths to choose
With confusion serving as fuel.

Which would be better,
Knowing how life will turn out,
Or enjoying the surprises thrown into the mix
And seeing just where they take you?

If life wasn't unpredictable,
Would it really be worth living?

Here I am, sitting in my writing class, pondering on life and what's ahead of me after college. I mean, is this really what I want to do the rest of my life? I love writing and I have ever since I can remember, but will it ever get dull? Do I need to choose another career just incase this one backfires? Or should I let life take its course and remain definitive with my choice?

I think I choose option two.


Not long afterward, the teacher collected our papers and we were sent on our way.

I decided to 'scope the place out' and snoop around a bit. I went outside and walked around the campus, looking up to the sky in awe. I knew I must have looked retarded, but the place was huge on the inside and outside.

I saw a familiar person sitting on the steps leading up to the campus itself. It looked like he was reading a novel of some sort. I wasn't close enough to see exactly what it was.

It looked like Alex. From the Bean Scene.

I kept my distance and stared at him, contemplating on whether or not I should approach him. He seemed cool and everything, but I wasn't the type to go around and approach people I didn't know very well.

He looked up from his book and stared at me, then smiled and went back to reading his book.

Better not disturb him, I thought to myself. Besides, I have homework to do.

I walked up the steps and started on the path that led to the dorms.

"Hey," I heard Alex call out.

I turned around on my heels and faced him at a distance. I walked a little closer and stared at him.

"Hi," I said, smiling a little.

He marked his page before closing his book. He gave me a smile, revealing a perfect set of straight, shining, white teeth. "How are you?"

I walked over and sat down on the top step, which was a step behind where he was sitting. "Fine, I guess. Yourself?"

"Good. Just catching up on some reading. Do you like Stephen King?"

"He's alright. I like his books The Dark Half and Carrie."

"Those are my favorites."

I smiled a little and got up, and then sat down next to him. "How do you like Seattle so far? And Seattle University?"

He looked at me and flashed a smile. "I love it. It's much more beautiful than New York."

"Don't you miss New York just a little? What about you family and friends? You had to leave all of them behind to come here. Or so I assume."

"I stayed more to myself, so I didn't have too many friends in New York. The ones I do have aren't close. My family is a bit...complicating."

"Really? How so?" I stopped myself. "You don't have to answer that. We're still practically strangers."

He chuckled quietly. "Yeah. How do you like Seattle University?"

"It's ... different. High school was actually tougher, I think. Everyone seemed so immature back then. Name-calling, the cliques, labels...it was a nightmare."

"Pfft, tell me about it. Poster child for social outcast, right here." He pointed his thumb at himself.

I giggled a little. "It seems like you'd be popular."

He let out a short laugh. "What makes you say that?"

"Well, you just look like you'd be popular. Look-wise, that is. Not personality wise, though."

He laughed. "Is there something wrong with my personality?" he asked with a smile.

"From what I've seen so far, no. But you don't seem to be as perverted as a lot of guys our age, so therefore, you're unpopular."

"I hate perverted people. Idiots need to get their minds out of the gutter."

"Alright, Mr. The Waiter's Too Busy Having A Quickie With The Server To Take Your Order," I said with a smirk.

He laughed. "Well, he was...I heard moaning coming from the back room."

My eyes widened. "Are you serious?!"

"Yes! Ugh. I've been having nightmares ever since."

"I thought you were just saying that to make small talk." I looked down at the steps beneath us. "No wonder the dude came back looking like a new man..."

"Pfft, no. He definitely got some..."

I smirked. "How would you know exactly?" I wiggled my eyebrows at him.

"Cos I heard him back there moaning. The woman sounded like a whore." He shook his head. "What is this world coming to these days..."

"I know. You have these little fifteen and sixteen year olds going out and losing their virginity, even getting pregnant when they're kids themselves."

He sighed. "How depressing. When I was that age I hadn't even had a girlfriend yet."

"Really?" I asked, looking at him.

He nodded his head. "Yeah, as pathetic as that sounds..."

"It's not pathetic. I regret every boyfriend I've had so far. We were all overly-hormonal at that age...we didn't know what love was." I paused to sigh. "I still don't think I do."

"Love's confusing. Best not to get tangled up right now..."

"Yeah...I agree."

He sighed, then looked at his watch. "I'd better go meet up with my roomie..."

"Oh. Alright. See you around, I guess."

He smiled. "See you later, Rachel." He got up and walked off as I sighed and looked around.