Lessons Learned I

Rachel 031

I looked across the table at Alex, who was going to town on an iced coffee. His eyes had circles underneath them; he was obviously lacking sleep.

I looked around the Bean Scene before returning my gaze to Alex. "Um...you didn't get much sleep, didja?" I asked. "Either that, or you're terribly thirsty..."

He stopped slurping and turned red. He looked up at me. "One hour." His voice cracked as he spoke.

I cringed. "Jesus Christ...here, you deserve mine, too." I scooted my drink over to him and smiled.

He pushed it back toward me. "Nah."

I laughed a little. "Why'd you get one hour of sleep? At a wild party?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

He chuckled a little. "Naw. Roommate kept me up all night."

"Aw, really? What was he doing?" I asked, taking a sip of my drink.

"Playing air guitar to YMCA."

I began laughing really hard.

"That's why you should have a female roomie. Very quiet and clean."

"Unless that female is Ivy..."

I laughed again. "She would...well, let's just say that if I were you, I wouldn't fall asleep while she was nearby..."

"She'd rape me."

"Yeah, pretty much..."

He sighed as some tall, muscular bald dude walked over to our table. "'Ello," he said with a thick Australian accent. He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

I raised my eyebrow and looked at Alex, then back at the guy. "Um, do we know you?" I asked.

"Do you want to know me, lass?" he asked, winking.

"No. Please move you and your kangaroo-raping ass away from us," Alex said.

I snickered before laughing.

The Australian dude raised his eyebrow at Alex before looking at me.

He asked, "So, what's your name, pretty lady?"

I paused for a moment. "Gerald," I coolly replied, taking a sip of my drink.

"Ohh, I love a lady with a man's name."

Alex spoke up, "You'll love me then, cos I'm a dude and my name is Sally. We're Drag Queens at the local strip joint."

I tried my best to keep from bursting out and laughing. I let a small smirk form on my lips.

"Yup," I replied. "Rawr."

"Ohh, I love me some drag queens, blimey! Are those from a surgery?" the guy asked, pointing at my...yeah.

"Oh, totally," I replied dully. "Got em donated from a dead chick."

"That is so hot." He touched them.

Alex stood up quickly and punched the guy in the jaw, making him fall to the ground.

The stupid waiter that threw Alex out the last time an event like that happened walked over. "Sir, you're gonna have to leave," he said.

"Why?!" I exclaimed, defensively jumping out of my chair. "That guy was being inappropriate; you owe him a thank you! He took care of a disrespectful customer! Oh, and I owe him a thank you, too. Thank you, Alex," I said, looking at him.

Alex blushed.

The waiter said, "No violence. We have to keep some mojoish crap vibe going in here."

"It's fine, I'll leave..." Alex grabbed his bag and walked out.

I grabbed my crap and followed him. I finally caught up to him.

"People are so freaking retarded! We should so stop drinking coffee from there." I paused and let out a huffy breath. "Yeah, that's so gonna happen," I said sarcastically. "We depend on that place."

He shrugged, looking really tired and sleepy.

I rubbed his back as we continued walking. "You need some serious sleep, Alex."

"Not while my roomie is getting his groove thing on to YMCA. Seriously, I kept having images of a stripper in a gay bar doing the hand movements."

I laughed.

"Well...you know, you're more than welcome to spend the night in mine and Lee's room. I'd have to clear it with Lee first, but I'm sure she'd be fine with it. Better yet, you can crash there for a few hours and take a nap if you'd like. Lee's gone."

He slowly nodded.

I smiled a little. "You're too sleepy to comprehend this, but thanks for taking up for me back there." I pecked his cheek after a few moments passed.

He looked at me and smiled a little. Unfortunately, he accidentally fell over a dog that happened to be peeing on a fire hydrant.

My eyes widened. "Are you okay?!"

"Y-Yeah..." He stood up quickly and kept his eyes on the ground.

Wow...he sure does fall a lot...

I rubbed his back. "It's okay; you're tired and sleepy," I said.

"Y-Yeah, um, sure..."

I smiled a little at him.