Lessons Learned I

Lee 035

I was sitting around mine and Rachel's dorm, alone, when some idiot knocked on the door.

That idiot turned out to be Alex.

"Sup, Alexander?" I shut the door behind him.

He looked around the room.

"Rachel isn't here, is she?"

"...no."

"Good." He paced back and forth with his hands behind his back.

"You, uh, wanna sit down or something before you ware a hole into the floor?" I mumbled.

"She doesn't notice me! Oh my God..." he stopped and ran his fingers through his hair. "I practically scream it at her and she doesn't even pay attention! I told her I tried skateboarding to impress her. I told her I was lowering myself to a frickin' skate rat and she ignored it! Dismissed it! She says I'm a the 'sweetest guy on the face of the planet' and I impress her by just being myself. I fucking TOLD her that she's the greatest girl I know and she ignores it."

"She might, Alex. She just might not want to know the truth in fear of losing her best friend." He slowly turned his head and stared at me.

"You think so?"

"Yeah, I mean...that's like Rachel. She wouldn't want to lose her best friend from a break up or awkwardness or something like that, so she'll just play dumb and pretend not to notice anything. Because she cares about you."

He scratched the back of his neck as a sigh escaped his lips.

"I'll have to trust you on that one."

"Yeah. Just talk to her, Alex."

"Okay..." he mumbled, walking toward the door. "I will."

I patted him on the back.

"Good luck, Alexander."

"Thanks. Bye." He left.