Lessons Learned I

Rachel 042

Alex and I were walking in the hallway one day after school. He was apparently going through a "preppy" phase as he was wearing the apparel of a preppy guy.

I sighed as I tore my eyes away from his new look.

"Guess what?" he asked.

"What?" I asked, staring straight ahead.

"I'm on the football team," he said with a proud look.

"Oh...cool," I mumbled, unamused.

His look faded before he sighed and buried his hands in his pockets. "Uh..."

I looked at him. "I'm sorry. Congratulations. You should be proud of yourself," I said, weakly smiling and practically lying.

He grinned a little. "I should go back to my dorm and study. That, and Bastardio has been looking for me the last couple of days..."

I laughed a little. "Okay. See ya, Alex." I walked outside and made my way to the campus lawn.

I looked around to see Adam leaning up against a tree, watching a bunch of skaters skate.

I walked over to him and stood next to him. "Pathetic, huh?" I said.

He looked over at me and smiled a little. "Yeah. Dumb assholes like to ruin school property."

"Speaking of that," I mumbled. "Guess who's on the football team now?"

"Who?"

I sighed and mumbled, "Alex..."

His eyes widened. "Seriously?"

"Yes! I died!"

"Aw, man, he's gonna get his ass kicked on the field."

I laughed a little. "I feel sorry for him. I have no clue what the whole phase thing is about. He's never done this before. Of course, I haven't known him for all that long..."

"Maybe he should see the counselor?"

I shrugged. "I think it'll pass soon."

"Hopefully."

I sighed and looked at him. "Whatcha been up to?"

"That Ivy chick has been following me around all day."

I looked at him. "No, way. She has a crush on you, too?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. She's creepy..."

"I know. She stalks Alex."

"Poor guy. She scares me..."

"Me, too," I said. "She quote, 'Wants to have Alexander's children.'"

"Wow... She's really freaky."

"Totally."

"So, should we do an intervention thing with Alex or something?"

I pondered for a moment. "Not sure. Think his phases will come to an end soon?"

"Maybe. We'll have to wait and see."

I sighed. "Yeah. You're right."