Lessons Learned I

Rachel 044

Alex and I were the Bean Scene, talking over an iced cappuccino.

I sipped my drink while giving him a weird look. He was apparently in the middle of some type of anarchy phase.

"Um...so...what's up with...?" I asked, looking at him.

He looked down at his clothes, then back up at me. "Did a lot of reading on politics and such. I burned all my old clothes because they were created by children in factories in Argentina."

My eyes widened. "Um...wow..." I mumbled.

"Yeah. Self-centered bastards."

I sighed and played with my straw, staring down at my drink.

"Did you know that by the year 2005 there could be category six hurricanes? And our government isn't doing shit to stop it. This is the kind of poor leadership that shouldn't be in the White House."

Adam walked by, not seeing us.

I turned around and watched Adam place his order. "Oh...cool," I mumbled, still turned around.

I could feel Alex staring at me. He was silent for a bit. He finally spoke up and said, "You know what I find intruiging? How the rate of teen suicide has gone up. It's a wonder why it's suddenly sky rocketing versus ten years ago. Could it be more substance abuse, or the internet?"

Adam was talking to the waiter. They both laughed before Adam said, "Good talking to ya. See you later." He began to walk off.

I turned back around slowly. "Um...what?" I asked, smiling innocently.

Alex sighed and buried his head in his hands. "Nevermind..."

Adam walked by, suddenly seeing us. "Hey," he said.

I perked up as I looked up at him and gave him a smile. "Hey, Adam."

Alex had his head on the table. He began mumbling things to himself in a foreign language, which sounded like Irish.

Adam gave him a weird look before turning toward me and smiling. "How are you doing today?"

"Pretty good. And yourself?" I asked, grinning.

"Little tired." He looked at Alex. "What's up with the..."

"It's called anarchy. Deal with it, Abercrombie boy," Alex replied.

Adam gave him wide eyes. "Sorry..." he said, backing off.

"Alex, that was uncalled for," I scolded.

Alex crossed his arms, giving Adam a dirty look.

"Um, maybe I should go..." Adam said.

I sighed and glared at Alex a little.

Alex rested his head on his arms, which were stacked on top of each other on the table.

Adam looked at me. "I'll see you around, Rach."

I nodded a little before sighing and looking down. "Bye, Adam..."

"See ya." He gave Alex a weird look before leaving.

I looked at Alex. "What was that all about?"

"I don't trust him."

"Well...I didn't at first, but I got to know him a little better. He's actually a really nice guy."

"Whatever. I still don't trust him."

"You don't even know him," I said.

"He just gives off that vibe."

"What vibe?"

"That vibe that you shouldn't trust him."

I looked up at him. "I'll be careful. I always am -- with everyone."

"Just...please, Rachel. I don't want you getting hurt."

"Like I said, I'll be careful around him."

He sighed. "For the record, if he hurts you, I'll kill him."

I looked up at Alex and smiled a little. "Is that you speaking, or is that the anarchy you speaking?"

"...both?" he asked, smiling cutely.

I raised an eyebrow. "Wow."

"Um, I gotta go..." he mumbled, getting up.

"Okay. Catch you after school tomorrow, I guess," I said, looking up at him.

"Yeah...see ya." He left.