Lessons Learned I

Rachel 005

I was in the library the next day, reading a book. I figured I had some extra time, and I wanted to get away from my dorm room for a bit.

I was reading "The Dark Half" by Stephen King since Alex had gotten me back into Stephen's books. I was up to one of the really creepy scenes in the book.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to face a guy with really cool-looking spiky black hair and brown eyes. He looked pretty tall and he had an average build.

"Excuse me, Miss, but do you happen to know where the computers are?" he asked.

"Um...yeah. They're in that room," I said, pointing to the next room.

He smiled, revealing a set of straight, polished, perfect white teeth. "Thanks. Is that Stephen King?"

I smiled a little. "Yeah. 'The Dark Half'." I held the book up so he could see the cover.

He nodded a little before saying, "My cousin met him a few years back. She says he's really nice."

"Oh, really? That's awesome." I politely smiled at him.

"So, you got a name?" he asked charmingly. He leaned against the bookshelf that was next to the table where I was.

I can remember wondering what his deal was, but I got onto myself for being over-paranoid. After all, Alex hadn't tried to kill me...yet.

I answered, "Yep. Rachel."

"I'm Adam. You new? I've never seen you around before."

I nodded. "Mmhmm. It's my first year here."

He's really cute and charming. Still use caution, Rachel, dear, I thought.

"Second here," he said.

...good for you? I remember thinking.

"Oh. That's nice." I smiled a little.

"So, what classes are you majoring in?" he asked charmingly.

"Creative writing and journalism. You?"

"Business and administration."

I raised my eyebrow. "What do you plan on doing once you graduate?"

"Not sure yet."

I turned back around in my chair and opened my book again. "Interesting..." I mumbled.

"I'm assuming you want to be a journalist?"

I sighed and marked my place in my book, then sat it down and turned around. I looked at him and said, "Yep."

"Seattle Times?"

"Maybe," I said. "Not sure yet."

"I'm sure you're a great writer." He winked at me.

I raised my eyebrows and stared at him. "I thought you were looking for the computers."

"Well...you could say my attention wandered off to something more interesting."

I raised one eyebrow at him. "What?"

Talk about a short attention span, I thought.

He chuckled lightly. "You seemed interesting to talk to. Guess my instincts were right. How do you like the campus so far?"

"It's alright. Everyone seems pretty nice here. Better than Seattle High..." I bitterly mumbled.

"Not a very nice crowd, huh?"

I let out a short huffy breath. "God, no..."

"What was their deal?"

"Just...really immature, perverted, all that stuff. Rude, too. Never heard 'excuse me' or 'thank you'. I'm surprised you don't already know all of this."

"I went to a private school. Pretty snobby around there, but they had some manners."

Rich kid.

"Hm," was all I said.

He might be as snobby as them for all you know.

He sighed, then his phone went off. "Um...I gotta split. See you around." He walked off.

"...yeah, sure," I mumbled, getting back to my book.