‹ Prequel: Change of Plans
Status: I love to know what people think of the story. Please please comment and tell me what you think.

Love is Magic

Camelot

Evelyn sat next to her parent’s bodies crying for the rest of the night. She stared at their lifeless faces trying to convince herself that it was all just a dream. Eventually she crawled over to the other side of their bodies where there was less blood on the floor, and curled up next to them. Although their bodies were cold Evelyn still imagined them with warm bright life. When she closed her eyes she imagined herself sitting cross legged with her mother’s arm around her as her father danced around in front of them. Whenever he told a story he always went to great lengths to make it dramatic and theatrical. His shadow danced across the floor while Evelyn curled up into her mother’s side as she smiled up at her silly father. That is the memory Evelyn replayed in her mind as she laid on the dark cottage floor next to her parent’s bodies.
When the sun rose the next morning it awoke the birds and flowers with its bright light. It radiated through the open windows of the cottage and brought new light to the destruction and turmoil that lingered there. Evelyn stirred a bit then slowly rolled over to face the window and the start of a new day. For a brief and dazed moment she had forgotten everything she witnessed the night before. She forgot that her home had been destroyed and that her parents would not be there to wish her a good day. As all of these thoughts crept back into Evelyn’s memory she forced herself to sit up. She pulled her knees to her chest and took another look at her parents’ bodies next to her. She wanted to give them a proper burial but she did not know how. She would not be able to dig graves for them or know what to say over their graves. Evelyn knew she needed help but did not know who to go to. Without her parents Evelyn did not have anyone to go to for help. For the first time in her life Evelyn felt completely alone.
As Evelyn began to panic over what to do with her parent’s bodies she noticed a small bird land on the windowsill. He quietly chirped at her and flapped his wings as he tried to get her attention. Evelyn recognized the small bird as her mother’s pet pigeon. He was unique with his blue tipped wings that seemed to reflect in the sun light. When Evelyn tried to stand her legs shook and her knees buckled she fell to the ground and began to cry. “What is the use?” She thought to herself with her face on the cold ground. Then the small bird flew in from the windowsill and landed on the ground just in front of Evelyn. He hopped up and down chirping uncontrollably.
“What is it? Little guy?” Evelyn asked as she reached out to clasp the bird in her hands.
The pigeon’s chirps grew in pitch to sound more urgent and panicked. He squirmed in Evelyn’s hand. As he twitched and wiggled in her grip he pecked at her hand causing her to release him and toss him aside. Her mother had kept the pigeon as a sort of pet, and even though Evelyn never really understood why but the pigeon always seemed gentle and kind. She had never seen him act so violently to a human’s touch. Evelyn had no idea what was wrong with the bird. “This just proves I can’t do anything right.” Evelyn mumbled as she forced herself to stand so she could get a piece of cloth to clean the cut she now had on her hand.
As Evelyn moved across the room the pigeon continued to hop frantically on the floor. It was as if he was trying to warn her of something. As Evelyn took a piece of cloth from the table she looked out the window and saw five men slowly creeping up to the cottage. Quickly Evelyn ducked down so they could not see her through the window as they came closer. Evelyn knew that the men were probably a band of looters scouting out abandoned homes and goods. If they found out that Evelyn was alone and the cottage was left defenseless they would definitely come barreling in and rummage through Evelyn’s belongings. Evelyn was left squatting against the wall as she tried to figure out what to do. At first she thought she could use her father’s sword to fight them off. Her father spent a good amount of time training her and teaching her how to use a sword. He had even said that she could someday be the greatest warrior of her time, but she was extremely outnumbered and without a sword that was made specifically for her Evelyn would have trouble keeping her balance. Then Evelyn realized that her only option was to run. She had to get out before they ever found out she was there. Her gaze shot back to her parent’s bodies. “I can’t just leave them.” She whispered to herself. The pigeon stopped chirping and flew up onto the table next to Evelyn’s head. She looked to the pigeon and saw that his head was slightly cocked to the side and his beady black eyes stared directly at her. Then as if he was speaking to her Evelyn knew that he was telling her to leave. There was nothing she could do for her parents now.
With a glance over her shoulder Evelyn could see the men were now just outside the door. They were examining the area to see if anyone was around. The moment they were sure they wouldn’t be spotted they would tumble through the door. So she quickly crawled across the floor so she was kneeling next to her parent’s bodies again. In her head she said her goodbye as she gripped her father’s hand and gently caressed her mother’s cheek. Then she stood and was about to climb out of the back window when something bright on her father’s chest caught her attention. It was her father’s necklace sparkling in the sunlight. Evenly bent down and unlocked the clasped then rushed to slide the necklace into her pocket. Then moving as quickly as she could she climbed up on to a shelf then sort of rolled out the window. Like a large stone she hit the ground hard just as one of the men swung open the door to the cottage.
“Ugh! What is that foal stench?” One of the men said as he entered the cottage.
“It smells as if something has died in here.” Another man said as he covered his face from the aroma.
Evelyn hoped that the smell would repulse the men so much that they would change their minds and leave. Then maybe she could go back inside and be with her parents. Evelyn sunk down closer to the ground as she heard footsteps coming closer to the window. There was a cracking sound from one of the men stepping on shards of broken pots. It was clear that the men were not leaving anytime soon. As the moved farther into her home Evelyn crawled away biting back tears as she left her parents forever.
Once she knew she was out of view of the men Evelyn stood up and slowly walked towards the woods. She reached out for one of the trees that now surrounded her and clung to it. She closed her eyes and imagined what the men would do when they finally saw Evelyn’s parents dead on the floor. The tears she had been fighting back before emerged again and stung as they rolled down her cheek. Everything that Evelyn once held close and everything that once brought her happiness was now gone. Evelyn could not let go and could not move forward knowing that she had nothing left.
Worn and tired Evelyn leaned forward so that her head rested against the rough tree bark. The smell of sap and pine filled the air around her face. She closed her eyes and continued to think about her poor parents. Over and over again images of their faces flashed in her mind. Then she was reminded that never again would she see her mother smile, never again would she watch as her mother meticulously worked on her potions, and never again would her father wrap his arms around her and call her his “Little Princess”. Those two words of endearment were all Evelyn wanted to hear. She tried to remember the last time her father even spoke to her, but she could not remember anything before walking to her home and seeing her parents on the ground. Evelyn stepped away from the tree and put her hand to her head as tried to concentrate. Everything was a blur she could only remember little bits from the day before. She knew she had spent the day picking herbs, and when she tried to remember her mother’s face as she sent her away for the herbs the only she could remember was her mother’s cold lifeless face on the floor.
Wanting nothing more but to go back in time and have one more moment with her parents Evelyn reached into her pocket and pulled out her father’s necklace. As she pulled on the silver chain the gold wedding ring that hung from the chain clanged against the dragon scale. Two tiny tokens that had once meant so much to her father now belonged to Evelyn. Lightly Evelyn tugged at the fabric of her pocket pulling the two tokens and chain loose. The necklace was all Evelyn had left of her once happy life. She clasped the chain around her neck and pressed her palm against the dragon scale and ring, pushing both tokens against her chest. She pushed against them willing them to push back. Praying that if she held on to the necklace tight enough her father would come back to her. The ring and dragon scale left and imprint on her bare chest, close to her heart.
When Evelyn reached up and clasped the necklace around her neck a small piece of paper floated to the ground. It drifted back and forth through the air until it finally fell on the tip of Evelyn’s shoe. It was the note she had found in her father’s hand. Carefully Evelyn bent down and picked the note up off of the ground. She unfolded the paper and reread the note.
Evelyn, find Gaius in Camelot
Throughout her childhood Evelyn’s parents told her countless stories about the time they spent in Camelot. In fact Evelyn’s mother was living in Camelot when she first met Evelyn’s father. Evelyn herself always dreamed of seeing the great city. Yet she stood in the woods terrified to leave her little village. She dreamed of adventure and yearned to live the way her parents did, and once she was given the chance she could not make herself do it. Then as if by magic her father’s voice echoed through her head. Telling her to go on and be wonderful. He told her to seek out her own adventure. Evelyn gently grasped the necklace around her neck and smiled at the comforting sound of her father’s voice. She had nothing to fear. Her parents may have died but that did not mean she had lost them. They would always be with her, and she would always them inside of her. She was after all their daughter and equal parts of both her mother and father. Evelyn would take all the good that was in both her parents and use it to become the daughter they always dreamed of. She would use what they showed and taught her and eventually become a woman they would be proud of.
Evelyn walked farther into the woods and farther away from everything she has ever known. With each step she took she became more empowered and more confident in herself. She felt as though her father was walking in stride with her. As though he walked with her to Camelot and guided her on her way to her first adventure. She could imagine him proudly holding his head high while he munched on an apple. He never feared anything, Evelyn thought to herself. Then she imagined her mother riding elegantly on a horse next to her. Both of her parents looked ahead with eyes full of excitement, bodies exhibiting confidence with every stride, and hearts overflowing with passion. Evelyn followed in her parents footsteps. She held her head high and filled her mind and body with the confidence both her parents showed.
When Evelyn finally arrived to Camelot her legs were shaking and she was so tired she thought she would collapse right there in front of the main gates to the city. If there was not so many people pushing and shoving past her she would have fallen to the ground and passed out. Instead she was being pushed through the gates and into the great city. Everywhere Evelyn looked there were people. They were all doing something different. Some were shopping, some were working, and others ran through the streets singing. Evelyn broke from the crowd and stepped to the side. She looked around the busy streets with amazement. She had never seen anything so spectacular before. There were rows of stands with people trying to sell their fresh fruits and stands of items that merchants brought in special for the people of Camelot from some far off land. Evelyn turned around to look at the stand behind her.
An old wrinkled woman smiled up at Evelyn from behind the stand. The lady held her hand out and gestured to a pair of earing. They were long and draped down the same way silk did when it hung down from a bed frame. Suspended above the sliver curve was a single green emerald. The earrings looked as though they had been made for royalty. Cautiously Evelyn reached out to touch the earrings. She looked up at the woman to make sure it was ok. When the woman’s smile grew Evelyn softly ran her fingers over the delicate piece of jewelry.
“Hey! You there stop!”
Evelyn dropped the earrings and spun around. A tall man with dark hair stood a few feet away trying to stretch himself to see over the heads of other busy people walking around. The man glared at another man who took off running. The first man dropped down from his tip toes and ran after the second man. It did not take long from him to catch up and push the second man to the ground. Evelyn peered through the crowd and watched as the first man ripped a small brown pouch from the second man’s hands.
“Don’t let me see you steal from a defenseless woman again!” The first man shouted at the second as he stood up.
In her village back home everyone knew each other and respected one another. No one would ever attempt to steal from their neighbors or friends. In a city as big as Camelot Evelyn would need to be more watchful of her belongings. She reached down to her side for her own money pouch, and realized that it was gone. Her heart dropped as panic rushed in. That small pouch was all the money she had. Without it she might not be able to find Gaius. Then the first man broke through the crowd and smiled at Evelyn.
“My Lady.” He said as he bowed his head and handed her back her pouch.
“Thank you.” Evelyn whispered as she wrapped her fingers around the pouch and lifted it from the man’s hands. “I am not a…”
The man looked up at Evelyn and smiled. Then slowly he stood up straight while keeping his eyes locked on Evelyn’s. The man was very tall next to Evelyn and his muscular physique made him seem even more intimidating, and yet there was a kindness that appeared in his smile and a charming gentleness that glowed in his dark eyes. It made Evelyn’s heart race to look directly at him.
“My name is Evelyn.” She finally said to the man. “You must be one of the King’s brave Knights.”
“I am La…” The man stopped. He looked around worriedly then back down at Evelyn and continued, “I am Sir Lancelot, my Lady.” He bowed once again and kissed the top of Evelyn’s hand. His hair fell forward and brushed against the side of Evelyn’s hand.
Evelyn bit the bottom of her lip and smiled. Sir Lancelot was so polite and charming. He was not like any of the farm boys from her village. Sir Lancelot did not even know Evelyn before he rushed in to rescue her. If anyone were going to help her find Gaius it would be Sir Lancelot. As one of the Kings Knights he would know exactly where to find Gaius.
“I am actually looking for someone…”Evenly began.
“I will help you in any way I can.” Sir Lancelot promised.
“Thank you.” Evelyn said as he pulled out the note her father wrote and showed it to Sir Lancelot. “Do you know where I can find him?”
“I believe Gaius is the court physician. He would be in the castle.” Lancelot replied. Bells from a nearby church began to ring out announcing that it was midday. “I am sorry I cannot be more help, but I need to…” Lancelot spun around on his heel and rushed away.
“Wait! Sir, please. I...”
It was too late Lancelot was gone. Evelyn was left on the side of the busy path just watching as the most charming man she had ever met walked away. When he was completely out of sight Evelyn turned back to the old woman who was working the stand behind Evelyn. The woman angrily growled up at Evelyn when Evelyn scanned the counter for the earrings she was looking at.
“What do you want, child?” The woman yelled.
“The… the earrings I was looking at before, what happened to them?” Evelyn asked.
“You mean these?” The old woman held up the earrings. “These earrings, you so carelessly tossed aside. You nearly broke them when you dropped them down the moment your eye caught that snake.”
“Snake? You mean Sir Lancelot? He is no snake. He helped me retrieve my pouch.” Evelyn clarified. “I am sorry about the earrings. I did not mean to ruin them. I am actually interested in purchasing them from you.”
“That man is no Knight! He is a snake!” The woman persisted. “If you are too foolish to see that then you are too foolish to have my earrings.” The woman hissed at Evelyn.
Evelyn took a step back. Her eyes narrowed as she tried to decipher what the old lady meant when she called Sir Lancelot a snake. Sir Lancelot had done nothing but prove himself to be a charming gentleman. Why was this old woman so upset that Evelyn was talking to him?
“Please, it would really mean a lot to me if you would like me buy those earrings.” Evelyn begged. “My mother owned a pair very similar to those.” Evelyn explained.
A grin spread across the old woman’s face. She slowly placed the earrings down on a small bit of cloth and began to fold the cloth around the earrings. When she finished wrapping the earrings the woman said, “I see… you may have the earrings.” Evelyn placed her hand on the cloth and the old woman grabbed her hand. “Do not be so foolish child. You are no longer in your village. People here are different. People here have seen and dealt with more than you can imagine. Do not give away your trust so easily next time.”
It was clear that the old woman was crazy. She was speaking complete nonsense. So Evelyn just nodded as she paid the woman and took her earrings. Quickly Evelyn made her way from the stand and away from the old woman. When she was far enough from the woman Evelyn unwrapped the earrings and examined them. Her mother wore a pair of earrings that had three green emeralds all suspended at different lengths from a gold chain that drooped down in the space between each emerald. Evelyn’s mother only wore the earrings on special occasions but Evelyn always admired their elegance. She imagined a Princess wearing something similar. Since coming to Camelot Evelyn could now have a pair of her very own.