‹ Prequel: Change of Plans
Status: I love to know what people think of the story. Please please comment and tell me what you think.

Love is Magic

Gaius

Evelyn continued to make her way down the crowded market street. There were so many things to see at the market. Her gaze swiftly drifted from stands of beautiful cloths to hand crafted pottery, but when Evelyn came to the end of the street she stopped midstride. Standing directly in front of her was an enormous stone wall. The massive structure seemed to stretch on for miles. The wall was so tall Evelyn tilted her head back all the way and still could not see the top. Every few feet there was a guard posted around the wall. Several feet down the side of the wall was a large iron gate with guards posted on either side of the gate.
Suddenly feeling miniscule and powerless next to the wall Evelyn took a few steps away from the wall. Everything in Camelot was bigger, brighter, and faster than anything Evelyn had ever seen before. Her chest filled with fear and anxiety as she looked up at this powerful force in front of her.
Retreating from her spot in front of the wall Evelyn took a few great steps backwards. Back away from the intimation and fear of being alone. Who was she to march into the castle and demand to see the court physician? Who was she to do anything but live an orphan life on the streets pedaling whatever she could muster up from the forest? All Evelyn wanted was to run back to her village and her little cottage. She wanted to go back and see her parents smiling faces. As Evelyn stepped away from the wall someone plowed right into her knocking her to the ground. Dust and dirt blew up around them as they smacked into the ground.
The scrawny man coughed as he stood up and said, “I am so sorry, Miss.” The man sort of chuckled at his own clumsiness. Evelyn huffed as she pushed her dark wavy hair back off of her face. As she sat on the ground patting down her skirt the man just stood awkwardly looking down at Evelyn, waiting for her to take his hand and stand back up. Instead Evelyn just glared up at the man.
“I really am sorry, Miss. Here let me help you.” The man bent down and gently took Evelyn’s hand and lifted her to her feet.
“Thank you.” Evelyn mumbled as she continued to wipe away the dirt from her skirt and looked up at the man. As her gaze locked on his fear and panic spread across his face. He took a few steps back then looked Evelyn up and down. “Um… have we met before?” The man cautiously asked Evelyn as his eyes locked seriously on Evelyn’s.
“No. We have not.” Evelyn replied sharply. “Is there something I can do for you… Sir?”
After a moment the man nodded and took a step closer to Evelyn. Then he smiled a wiry smile as he said, “Oh, I see. My name is Merlin.”
“Well Merlin, if you do not mind I am trying a bit busy. I am trying to find someone.”
“Maybe I can help? It is the least I can do after…” Merlin motioned to the ground where they had fallen. “Arthur always says I should not be allowed to leave Gaius’s chamber, for the risk of spreading my idiocy.” Merlin said with a laugh.
“Wait! You know Gaius?” Evelyn excitedly reached out and grabbed Merlin’s wrist. She thought she would have to search forever trying to find Gaius, but here was a man who could easily help her and show her the way.
“Yes I do. Why are you looking for him?” Merlin asked.
“I am. My parents sent me here to find him.” Evelyn said as she pulled out the note her father left her and showed it to Merlin.
Merlin smiled and took Evelyn’s wrist as he pulled her down the path along the wall then through the main Iron Gate. On the other side of the gate was the main court yard of the castle. Everywhere Evelyn looked there were Knights in long red capes and servants buzzing about doing their chores. In facing the main gate was a grand marble staircase that led into the castle. On both sides of the stairs were two identical trees that had several tiny white flowers blooming from it. Evelyn immediately recognized the flowers as her mother’s favorite type of flower. But Before Evelyn could stop to admire the sweet scent of the small flowers Merlin pulled her around to the side of the castle and down a few steps. The next thing Evelyn knew she was inside the servant’s courters of the castle. Merlin led her down the dark narrow halls. It seemed like they were walking for miles. Farther and farther down they traveled until finally Merlin stopped. He turned and look at Evelyn then down the hall.
“You are sure we have no met before?” Merlin asked her once more. There was just something so familiar about her. He thought he recognized her earlier when he tried to help her up, but then he realized it was not the same person. Still he knew he had seen her before he just was not sure where.
“I have already told you, no we have never met before today. I think I would have remembered, if we had met before.” Evelyn replied sternly.
Then Merlin nodded and continued to lead Evelyn down the hall. Evelyn followed quietly behind him. It was clear Merlin was a strange man. He seemed to always have his head in the clouds. As if he was floating away to some dream land. He had mentioned the fact that his master, Arthur liked to give him a hard time. Now Evelyn understood why. Once again Merlin stopped, but this time it was in front of a small plain looking door. Without hesitation he opened the door and walked through it. Cautiously Evelyn followed.
“Gaius? Are you here?” Merlin called out as he looked around the room for the old physician.
Gaius had been the court physician for several years. He had watched as the Pendrangons rose to power. He stood by King Uther’s side when he wanted to purge the land of magic, and even though he did not agree with Uther’s views he still provided the King with advice and counsel whenever he requested it. Gaius kept detailed records of everything that happened in Camelot. He made notes of all the new babies born in Camelot as well as the death toll. He kept track of the sales in the market and even some of the trading’s with traveling merchants. Gaius was also there to witness the birth of Uther’s son Prince Arthur. He also was one of the few people who knew that Uther also fathered a child from one of his mistress. The child’s name was Morgana. Gaius still remained court physician after Uther was killed and his son took the throne. Just like he had done for Uther, Gaius provided loyal support to Arthur as he dealt with the grief of losing his family and the pressures of becoming King. If there was one person to know in Camelot it was Gaius.
Merlin himself only received his job in the castle because Gaius had known his parents. Gaius provided shelter and food for Merlin when he arrived in Camelot, and he even introduced Merlin to the King. It was all because of Gaius that Merlin was King, Arthur’s manservant. It was because of Gaius that Merlin was able to live a comfortable life in Camelot.
“Gaius? There is someone here to see you.” Merlin called out again as he turned and smiled at Evelyn. He could see that she was nervous as she hovered in the doorway rubbing her hands together.
Slowly Gaius crept out from his room. He carried a stack of worn out old books and mumbled to himself as he waddled across the room. Merlin stepped forward and took the books from Gaius’s hands and placed them down on the workbench. Evelyn looked the old man up and down, “This is the man my Father wanted me to find?” She asked herself. This man looked weak and brittle. How could he be of any help to her? “There must be some mistake.” She thought.
“Ah! Merlin, there you are. Arthur has been looking for you.” Gaius said as Merlin took the books from his hands.
“Yes, well I got a bit distracted.” Merlin said as he began to motion towards Evelyn.
“Well whatever the distraction I am sure it could have waited…” Gaius stopped as he noticed Evelyn standing in the doorway.
Just like it had with Merlin fear flashed across Gaius’s face as his gaze fell on to Evelyn. His jaw dropped as he looked at her long wavy dark hair and light skin. Slowly Gaius stepped towards Evelyn. His hands began shaking as he reached out to grab her hand. His touch was cool; it sent shivers down Evelyn’s spine. She remained completely still as his eyes traveled across her face.
“It cannot be…” Gaius’s voice cracked as he began to speak. “Evelyn?”
Quickly Evelyn pulled her hand out of Gaius’s grip. She was sure she had never met him and yet he knew her name and looked at her like they were longtime friends being reunited. Something was wrong. There was no way her father would send her to this strange man.
“How do you know my name?” She asked as she lifted her head in an effort to seem strong and powerful.
“Oh my!” Gaius laughed as he realized how strange he must have seemed to her. “I am so sorry my dear. I did not mean to frighten you. Here, please sit.” He said as he pulled a chair out for her.
“How do you know me?” Evelyn asked again as she sat down.
“Your father wrote me many times about you.”
“You knew my Father?”
“Knew him? Yes, I actually know both your parents. I probably know your Mother better than your Father.” Gaius explained as he poured drinks for everyone.
Evelyn looked down at her lap. Gaius did not realize that her parents were dead and that was why she was there. He did not realize that he could no longer say that he knows her parents, but instead he had to say that he knew them.
“You mean you knew them.” Evelyn whispered as Gaius handed her a drink. “My parents are dead.”
Gaius was handing Merlin a cup when Evelyn’s words rang out. It was like running it a wall. Her words did not register right away. They just hung there as he processed what she had said. Slowly he lowered the cups on to the workbench next to him as the words began to sink in. Then he looked over at Evelyn who was solemnly staring into her cup.
“They are dead?” Gaius whispered more to himself than to anyone else. “Both of them?”
“Yes.” Evelyn replied.
The room was still as the three of them sat there in silence. Merlin wanted to offer words of comfort but he could not think of the right thing to say. There was nothing he could say to help ease Evelyn’s pain. When he looked to Gaius for advice he saw the same look of shock and despair on his face that was on Evelyn’s face.
“How?” Gaius asked.
Evelyn’s head snapped up and the tears rolled down her cheeks. “I do not know!” She yelled. Gaius bit his lip as he reached for her hands again.
“I am so sorry.” He whispered as he stroked her cheek. “Your parents… they.. they were good people.”
“How did you know them?” Evelyn asked as she whipped the tears away.
“You mean they never told you?”
“Told me what?” Evelyn asked confused by Gaius’s endless stream of questions.
“They never told you how they met? Or where they came from? Did they ever mention Camelot?”
Gaius was amazed by Evelyn’s lack of knowledge. It seemed that she had no idea about her parents’ past. She did not know anything about their life before she was born. Gaius wondered if it was his place to tell her, but there was no way to keep it from her now. She was sent to Camelot for a reason and she would find out the truth eventually.
“Gaius, who were her parents?” Merlin asked as he moved to the edge of his chair.
A reminiscent smile crossed Gaius’s face as he remembered the time he spent with Evelyn’s parents. The time they spent in Camelot may not have been long, but it was long enough for them to find each other and fall in love. They had both spent enough time in Camelot to stir up some trouble. Gaius chuckled to himself as he recalled some of the times he had caught Evelyn’s father stealing food from the kitchen or the time he saw her parents giggling in the court yard.
“It isn’t obvious, Merlin?” Gaius asked as he pointed towards Evelyn. “She is the spitting image of her mother. Everything… except your eyes.” He said directing his attention to Evelyn. “You have your father’s eyes.”
Merlin looked hard at Evelyn as he tried to figure out who her parents could be. Gaius laughed at Merlin’s deep concentration. It made sense that Merlin did not realize who her parents were. He had only just started working in the castle a few weeks before Evelyn’s parents fled Camelot.
“Merlin, this is Evelyn. She is the daughter of the Lady Morgana and Sir Gwaine.” Gaius announced proudly.