‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Shane

Two years, that's how long it's been since Logan and I finally married. So many years have passed since he and I first met. Nineteen years since that day. You never really think that that much time has passed until you sit down and think about it.

Nineteen Years Earlier

Walking through the halls of this new high school, I saw the glares and heard the whispers all around me.
New Guy. Weirdo. Not from around here. Seeing how I never had much friends back home in Belfast, I never took anything that people say about me seriously anymore.

I saw a group of guys grouping around someone's locker, pushing a guy who didn't seem to be too much of an outcast, if any at all. Feeling my water bottle in my hand, I took all the lessons of baseball my dad had taught me and put them into action. Throwing as hard as my hand could make it go, it hit the guy in front at his temple, causing him to stumble a little before making him look at me and coming my way.

"What's your problem? Can't get enough attention as it is, freak?" he asked, shoving me a little bit. Dropping my things, I grabbed the collar of his shirt and bashed my forehead into his. His knees came up from under him and I looked up just as his friends made their way to another part of the school.

"Never fight with a foreigner, dude. We can fight so much better," I said, grabbing my things and spitting at him. Walking over to the guy by the locker, I knelt down by him and lifted his head. Seeing a bruise starting to show, I helped him up and dusted him off. "You alright, mate?" I asked, careful to hide my accent.

"Fine. Nothing new, honestly," he said, touching his cheek gingerly as he met my gaze. I saw something about his look change, yet I thought nothing of it. He had black hair, chocolate brown eyes, and his skin was dark as well, but nothing seemed to show him as anything other than American. "You got quite an arm on you."

"My father wanted me to try at least one sport before pursuing music, so I tried baseball," I said, shrugging indifferently. Sticking my hand out, I said, "The name's Shane." Taking my hand, he smiled as we shook.

"Logan," he replied, grabbing his things from the floor. As we made our way to our first class, he seemed to be calmed down a lot just by having me at his side.


I never knew that helping him that one day would have made everything up to this point happen. Sad to say that the dude who was messing with him that day had a sister in which I would make pregnant with Evelyn.

I watched as both Logan and Evelyn bent over tonight's load of homework, both getting a tad aggravated. Smiling warmly I said, "Come on guys, let's go eat out tonight." Both looked up at me curiously.

"What's the occasion?" Evelyn asked, putting her pencil in the book she was working from.

"Oh, just the day Logan and I first met," I said, watching as Logan gave me the same smile all those many years ago.