‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Shane

"You can't be so sure that would work. Wes can be an idiot at times, but he'll figure out something is going on quickly," I said, tracing circles on Logan's lower back. I smiled softly when I felt the tremors shoot through him, causing him to shiver lightly.

"It's all we got right now, unless you have a better idea," he replied, messing with my hair some, easing my mind a bit. I sat there in silence for a while, comtemplating. I did have an idea, though I had a feeling he'd rather live on Pluto than go through with it. "I know that look, Shane. What's your idea?"

"You won't like it," I said, causing him to turn my face towards him. His look said, 'Tell me anyway.' Letting out a groan, I said, "What I have in mind is that I find a way to get hold of him. Invite him out to the lunch with us -- us meaning you, me, and Evy -- and act like nothing went on between he and I in the last few months. I was considering maybe having him come here, but there is no need for him to know our location."

"You're right," Logan said, standing up and clearing the dishes away from the table. "I don't like it. I still say we draw him out by breaking it off permanently between us. Well, hypothetically."

I sipped on my coffee as I thought about the two ideas, knowing Logan was right. When was he ever wrong? It was just a slight bother knowing he and Evy were in danger. I figured if he met them, he'd understand, but then I remembered he's Wesley, and he would never understand.

The rest of the morning went on rather uneventful, though, Evy was sending us texts a few times an hour complaining about school, and how her teachers were pricks. We weren't enthusiastic about her texting during classes, but it gave us a sense of ease knowing she was complaining about that; we, at least, knew she was safe.

The afternoon sun was currently blazing in the sky, and I sat on the front porch steps soaking in it. Logan was currently on the bench seat we had on the porch keeping track of his old team's scores, talking about how bad or how good they were doing. It was nice after all these years to know he still loved basketball.

Staring at the waist-high grass, I noticed something lurking. I rolled my eyes before standing up and making my way towards the street. Calling out, I said, "Come on out, Wesley. Let's talk this out like adults, you fucking coward." He rose up, his gray gaze staring straight at my blue one as he made his way towards me.

"It's been a while, Saunders," he said, his accent stronger than ever. "How's that little cut?" I shrugged, giving him a small smile. I knew Logan was watching us from the porch, unsure of what to make of this situation.

"What do you want, Wes?" I asked, shoving my hands into my jean pockets. He stopped about a foot away from me, his 6'5" frame just as broad as ever. I never knew just how big this guy was until now. We stared at one another for a long time, the silence growing ever longer. I wasn't about to back down, and neither was he.

Something was going to happen, I just didn't know what.