‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Shane

After the cops and ambulance had taken care of Wes -- who was holding on by a thread -- I watched as Logan was trying to break out of the handcuffs around his wrists and the shackles at his feet. "Has this ever happened before?" Officer Mason asked, causing me to look away from the still-out-it Logan to him. I shook my head.

"I know he has a temper, and I've seen him mad, but he's never gone this far," I responded truthfully, my heart contracting. "He's recently found out some rather hard stuff about my past with Wesley and I suppose seeing Wes so close to me, in arms length, something in him just ... snapped."

"You know he's going to have to seek help, right?" Officer Mason asked, causing me to nod. "He's going to have to do some time, as well. Though it may be a 25 to life sort of thing." I stared at the officer with panic rising within me.

"Wesley wasn't killed, though. Plus, what happened was a self-defense ordeal. This isn't the first time Wesley came to our home and tried to start something. I was about dead a few months ago because of the bastard. How can Logan get blamed for trying to protect himself and his family?" I asked, seeing Evy's bus coming up the road. "Damn it! Not now," I said, jogging towards the bus and waving it to stop.

After it did, the driver opened the door. "What's going on?" she asked, indicating the half dozen police cars and ambulance. I took a shaky breath as Evy stepped off the bus and joined me.

"Personal things. I don't like secrets, but I can't risk anything right now," I replied, getting a small nod of acceptance from the driver. Closing the doors to the bus, she turned around slowly and made her way around the back roads to get around the mess of law enforcment.

"Daddy, what is going on?" Evy asked, looking up at me as we made our way back to the house.

"Logan's temper got the best of him. Wes is barely holding on. I'll explain more once everything has calmed down." Evy nodded as we came up to the house, her eyes screaming in shock, fear, and sadness, though she didn't cry. She always refused to cry in front of strangers.

"Is this the daughter you spoke of earlier?" Officer Mason asked, causing me to nod. "May we speak with her in private?" I looked down at Evy, and she nodded once ever so slightly.

"You don't have to if you don't want to Evy," I said, causing her to grab my hand and squeeze it.

"It's better to get it out of the way. The sooner we can be a family again, the better." I smiled sadly at her. She never had much of a true family over the years, and I forgot how much she's grown up. Squeezing back reassuringly, she walked down the road a bit with the officer.

I made my way over to Logan, whose eyes were dialating. "Logan, come back to us. Please?" I begged softly. I watched his face change for a moment, but it quickly changed back to the angered expression. I kissed his forehead gently, grabbing one of his hands in my own. I was about to let go to move away a bit, but he quickly grasped my hand back.

He was still gone, but for that moment in time, I knew the man I have fallen in love with was in there still, waiting to break out of this unknown demon that had his face. Softly, I said, "We're not leaving you, Logan. Just come back soon." Whether he heard me or not, I saw no sign. I could only hope.