‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Shane

Logan and I remained in the room for quite sometime, not speaking, just holding one another, taking comfort in the fact that the other was there. After what seemed like an eternity, we made our way downstairs and started discussing the next few steps. "I believe we should have you get checked out," I blurted, biting my lip immediately afterwards and looking away from Logan's face.

"You think after one time, I need to be checked out?" Logan asked in disbelief. "You know why it happened," he went on, shoving his chair back so hard it fell back. He started pacing, laughing humorlessly to himself.

"Logan, listen," I started, causing him to pause long enough to look me in the eye. "I know you were doing it to protect us, and I know you're able to keep it under control, but what if there's a time when it isn't able to stop? What if it happens and you do something to one of us, or yourself?"

"That's the thing, it won't. There's almost never a threat big enough for it to happen," he said, leaning against the counter.

"Are you absolutely sure about that, though?" I asked, so quietly I almost believed he didn't hear me. He scoffed in response. "Look, I hate the thought of it myself, having to separate you from us. God knows Evy has been through more than enough of that shit, but think of what could happen if we don't get it at least checked out. Maybe it's nothing, but what it is something? What if it's something and we don't get it checked out?"

"You're really that freaked out that it could happen, aren't you?" Logan asked, his disbelief growing as the conversation went on. "You've lost your faith in me after one episode."

"My faith hasn't faltered, honest. I just want to be absolutely sure that there is little to no chance of this happening again for a very long time, if ever," I said, standing up and making my way towards him. Placing my hands on his tight shoulders, I stared at him as he looked at anything but me. "I know I've failed you and Evy in the past, gave you a million reasons not to trust me, but I am asking just this once that you do."

"How long would you make me do this bullshit?" he asked, sounding more hurt than ever, still refusing to look at me.

"Long enough that we'll be able to breathe, knowing that what happened will never happen again anytime soon, or at all," I said, taking my hands off his shoulders and grabbing his waist. "Would one year be too much to ask?" He finally met my gaze, his eyes unsure. I smiled softly at him, only to look away when Evy walked into the room. "Please, momma?"