‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Logan

Hearing Shane call for us,I put the game on pause and stood up with Evy. Following her out to where her father was "Really? A dog?" I asked,placing my hands on my hips as I shook my head,listening to Evy's squeals of delight fill the room around us.

"of course! Oh come on Logan,what harm could it cause?" He asked,a grin across his face. Giving a shake of my head I threw my arms up in defeat. I knew I wouldn't win the battle anyways,not with the look of joy Evy was giving me before returning her attention to the puppy.

"does that mean we can keep it mom?" she asked,her big eyes staring up at me,nodding to her she squealed again before picking the puppy up,proclaiming that it would sleep in the room with her. I sighed deeply and turned to Shane,pointing my finger at him.

"what? Oh relax Logan,it'll be alright" he smiled and pulled me into his arms and holding me close. During this,every worry and bad feeling I've had disappeared and I relaxed against him.

Later into the night,Evy and the puppy were asleep in her room. I laid beside Shane in our bed,staring up at the ceiling "Shane...how badly do you think this guy will hurt us?" I asked softly,turning my head and staring at him. Shane just stared at me in silence and I knew the answer then,he didn't have to speak it. Rolling over I placed my head on his chest and sighed,listening to his heartbeat fill my ears as I tried to relax "I don't know what we should do Shane,I can't risk losing you again nor Evelyn" I whispered. Shane let out a deep sigh,his fingers running along my back to relax me.

"I don't know either Logan...but I'm sure I'll know when it comes time" he said quietly,wrapping his arms firmly around my waist and in that single moment I hoped and prayed that everything would turn out okay,that by the time all this was over we were still a family.

If only I really knew how crazy this man was,I would have depended we left the country....
--------------------------------------
Sorry it's so short! I'm doing this on my phone!