‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Shane

As the next two weeks went by, I had healed up quite a bit, and there was still no sign of Wesley. Reggie and I were currently packing things in the house, checking them super carefully to make sure they didn't have some sort of bug on them.

"Are you being a little over-dramatic?" Reggie asked, placing a photo of Logan and I in one of the boxes. I looked at him for a long moment before answering.

"I have to look out for my family, Reg," I said, taping up the box I had just filled with notebooks. "The last thing I need right now is to come home one night, or wake up one morning, and see that my family is in danger."

"He hasn't come around in weeks, Shane. He probably thinks you're dead," Reggie said, examining another picture closely.

"If that be the case, great," I said, setting up another empty box. "Right now, though, I have to get Evelyn and Logan away from here. I've spent too much time away from them and I'm not risking their lives anymore than I already have."

"You know you guys can always stay with us," Reggie said, causing me to look at him again. "We've got two extra rooms, and plus, it'll be great being able to spend some time with you guys again."

"As much as I'd love to, I don't want to risk your lives as well," I replied. We fell silent after that, just enjoying each other's company as we examined things and packed them up. All I could think of at the moment was the fact that I had secretly dated Wesley back home, behind my parents' backs.

Time Elapse

"We had a perfectly nice house, and now we're being forced to move," Logan complained as we drove through miles of country. "What about Evelyn's schooling? My job?" he went on, causing me to pull over and look at him.

"I've already transferred her to the school here, and all you have to do is talk to you're old boss about sending your file to the other guy here," I said, resting my head in my hands. "I've thought this through long and hard, Logan. I hate having to uproot you guys like this, but it's the only way to keep you guys safe."

"Will you two shut up!" Evelyn said, causing both of us to look at her. "You've been at it for the last two days! Just SHUT IT!" Unbuckling herself, she got out of the car and ran out into the open field. She stopped after about a minute, kicking the ground around her. Unbuckling myself, I also emerged from the car, making my way to her.

Once I got to her, I looked around before looking down at her. "I'm sorry, Evy," I said, wrapping my arms around her. "We're just stressed. That's all."

"It seems like it's all you two do anymore. Argue. It's getting hard listening to you guys go at it every night," she said, just over a whisper. I kissed the top of her head, squeezing her a little tighter. "Please, just stop."

"We'll try our best, sweetheart," I whispered. After a few moments, we made our way back to the car. Getting in, we buckled back up, and continued our trip. I glanced over at Logan who had apparently fallen asleep. Smiling, I softly started humming, hoping to maybe calm down my nerves as well as Evelyn's.

Night had fallen by the time I pulled into the driveway of our new home. It was a two-story, three-bedroom house. Shaking Logan gently awake, we got out. As Logan grabbed a couple of bags, I opened the back seat and scooped up Evelyn, trying carefully not to awaken her. As I carried her into the house, I prayed that we could quickly put all this drama with Wesley behind us and settle down as the family we needed to be.