‹ Prequel: Be With You

(You Drive Me) Crazy

Part Three

Crazy, I just can't sleep. I'm so excited, I'm in too deep. Crazy, But it feels alright. Every Day and Every Night.

~*~*~


Jordyn was working the front at the nibble on a busy Wednesday afternoon. The trip to Pittsburgh had been great and the three women had had a great time. Vaughn had stayed behind to spend some more time with Kris and Jordyn and Quinn had returned to Charlotte on promises to visit again soon.

The bell over the door chimed and Zach walked in, a bouquet of daisies in hand. "Hey Jordyn," he greeted her.

"Hey Chuckie. How are you?"

"Terrible. I miss my girlfriend."

"She misses you too."

"You mean she actually came back and didn't run away with Neal?"

"James has a girl back home," Quinn answered as she came through the kitchen doors with cupcakes to fill the display. Zach snagged one as she passed. "But you should probably be worried about Geno. I think he loves me."

Jordyn giggled. "He was very sad to see Quinn go."

"I recall a certain goaltender being pretty sad that you were leaving," Quinn countered.

"You met someone?" Zach asked.

Jordyn nodded. "Flower."

"Is it serious?" Jordyn shrugged. "Shit. Jordyn, you really need to talk to Justin."

"No," she replied stubbornly.

Zach looked to Quinn with a pleading stare. "Maybe you should hear him out," Quinn suggested softly. "You miss him."

"Quinn!"

"Sorry but it's true."

"You weren't supposed to say anything!"

Quinn dismissed the thought. "It's Zach. He won't say anything if he knows what's good for him," she continued, walking over to Zach and wrapping her arms around him. He hugged her back, pulling her body as close to his as possible before kissing her.

"I missed you. Can I take you home now?" Zach asked.

Quinn giggled. "Can't leave. It's just me and Jordyn today."

"These are for you," he said, handing her the flowers.

She smelled them and smiled. "Thanks baby. I think I have a vase in back. Come on," she said, tugging his hand in hers and pulling him into the back.

"Don't do anything that's considered a health code violation!" Jordyn called after them.

"We won't!" Quinn yelled back.

Jordyn shook her head and pulled her phone out, setting it on the counter in front of her. She stared at it for five long minutes before picking it up again and sending a text.

Can you meet me after work today?

Yes. When and where?

4 at the nibble? I have to close up. Sending Quinn home early. She'll never be able to concentrate with Zach here.

4 o'clock. I'll be there.


Quinn leaned back against Zach, happy to be in his arms. She giggled as he planted a deliberately slow trail of kisses up her neck. Her phone dinged, alerting her to a new text message. She checked the display and unlocked it.

Did you put in your order for tube steak and white gravy yet?

Quinn giggled and typed out a reply.

Working on it right now. Thanks for interrupting. ;)

The reply back came seconds later.

You answered. Could've ignored me.

Can't help myself. You're so cute.

SMH. Geno says hi. I think he's jealous not to deliver your tube steak and white gravy.

LOL. Tell him if Zach breaks my heart, he'll be the first to know.

He just said something in Russian with a very big grin and licked his lips.

::swoon::
Behind her, Zach groaned and he let go of Quinn and stepped away from her.

Gotta go, Sid. Talk to ya soon!

Later!


"Someone more important than me?" Zach asked suspiciously.

"Just Sidney."

"Sidney? As in Sidney Crosby?" Quinn nodded. "You made friends with Sidney Crosby?"

"Yep. Vaughn was off with Kris and Flower was wooing Jordyn so Sid and James showed me around and let me hang with them a bunch. The three of us went to the zoo one day and then I had dinner with Sid and Geno and Nealer last night. Oh! And James let me borrow one of his jerseys for the game on Monday. They're really nice."

"Care to explain tube steak and white gravy?"

"That will make a whole lot more sense if you hear the story that goes with it. See, we were out to lunch and Flower was flirting with Jordyn. Then Sidney said...."

Fifteen minutes later, Zach and Quinn walked out of the kitchen. "You good?" Quinn asked Jordyn.

"Yeah; get out of here," Jordyn replied.

"Thanks, Jordyn," Zach said. "I owe Quinn a meal."

"Where are you going? Bring me home takeout, will ya?"

"Unless you want tube steak and white gravy, I don't think you'll be interested."

"Quinn!" Jordyn shrieked. "Do you have to tell Chuckie
everything?!"

"Sid texted and Zach was jealous," Quinn answered. "Had to explain the back story."

Jordyn rolled her eyes. "Jesus...."

Just before 4, Justin walked into the nibble. "Hey," he said.

"Hey," Jordyn replied. She tossed him her keys. "Lock the door?" He caught the keys and walked back to the door, locking it. "Kill the lights too!" Jordyn called out as she walked into the kitchen. Justin did as told and then walked back to find Jordyn. She was leaning over the counter, flipping through the receipts for the day.

"So, good trip?" Justin asked.

"We had fun," Jordyn replied.

He shifted nervously behind her and Jordyn turned to face him. "I'm sorry, Jordyn. I missed you, so much."

"I missed you too."

"Really?" He took a step towards her but she stepped back.

"You hurt me, Justin and even though I miss you, I can't just forget it."

"Hear me out?" He asked. She nodded. "Last year, I was dating this girl in Raleigh but she got clingy and we broke up. That was her. She saw a picture of you, of us together, and she dyed her hair and curled it, to look like you. When she came at me, I thought it was you but when she kssed me, I knew it wasn't. But before I could react, Quinn and Vaughn were there."

"And Quinn slapped the shit out of you."

"Vaughn scared her shitless; she'll never be back."

"Good."

"So can you forgive me?"

"I don't know. I need some time, Justin."

"Can we be friends?"

"Yes, we can be friends."

"Can your friend take you to dinner later?"

"That would be nice. Why don't you call some of the guys and make it a group thing?"

"Yeah, I can do that," he replied with a note of sadness.

Piper followed Zac up the driveway to Jordan's house, clutching his hand tighter the closer they got. "You good?" Zac asked her. She nodded and he smiled at her. Jordan had declared in the locker room after the game that the party was at his place that night, an impromptu celebration of the night’s win. Jordan had the tying goal but Zac had the game winner in shootout.

"The hero is here!" Jeff exclaimed as Zac and Piper entered the home. A loud cheer went through the room and Zac grinned. From across the room, Piper saw Heather scowl and lean close to her girl friends, whispering to them. They looked at Piper and immediately turned up their noses to her. Piper turned to Zac and focused her energy on him as they moved through the crowd.

An hour into the gathering, Jordan walked over, slapping a hand across Zac's back. Heather was glued to his side. "Nice goal, Dalps," he said with a smile. Heather sneered at Piper and she rolled her eyes. "And you must be Piper," Jordan continued. "Its nice to actually meet you. I've heard a lot about you, and not just from Zac," he grinned.

"Its very nice to meet you also, Jordan," Piper replied. "I hope Quinn and Jordyn didn't talk your ear off about me."

He grinned. "They are a wee bit protective of you."

"Yes they are," Piper laughed.

"I didn't know you knew Quinn and Jordyn," Zac said in confusion.

"Who are Quinn and Jordyn?" Heather demanded to know.

"Mutual friends," Piper answered sweetly to Heather.

"You remember Vaughn, Kris' girlfriend?" Jordan asked. Heather paled but recovered quickly and Piper bit back a giggle. "They know Vaughn and they were all up in the 'burgh when I was up there a few weeks ago." Heather nodded curtly and walked away, spotting some friends across the room and giving them a tight smile. Jordan rolled his eyes as she walked off.

"Sorry she's being a bitch," he said. "She's so fucking jealous of everyone. Its ridiculous. I mean, I married her, right?"

Piper patted his arm reassuringly. "You realize how handsome you are, right? Of course she's jealous of everyone. I’m pretty sure you are well aware the way women look you over like a fine piece of steak every time you walk into a room."

Jordan grinned. "It is pretty great to be me."

Piper shook her head. "I can only imagine why you owed Jordyn, because I know somehow it is a result of her and Quinn that you spoke up for me a few weeks ago at that WAG's meeting." Jordan blushed and ducked his head and Piper giggled. "I don't want to know either," she laughed. "I've heard the stories about you from Vaughn. She warned me all about you, Mr. Staal. I am officially immune to your charms but I do appreciate that you stuck your neck out for me when you didn't even know me."

"Least I could do. Vaughn is a friend and any friend of hers is a friend of mine."

"I am so confused," Zac whispered to Piper after Jordan walked off to greet more people.

"I'll explain it all later," Piper promised. "Let's dance," she said, kissing his cheek.

Piper, Zac, Justin Faulk and Dan Ellis were laughing with Eric and Tanya Staal in the kitchen. Heather walked in, purposely knocking into Piper, causing her to spill her drink down her front.

"Heather!" Tanya shouted.

Piper wheeled around on the other woman and stuck her finger into her chest. "I don't know what your fucking problem is with me but this ends right now. I’m sick of your bullshit and your dirty looks and your snide little comments."

"You don't belong here," Heather said snidely. "And your boyfriend is nothing."

"Excuse me? I don't belong here? My boyfriend is pretty god damn lucky to have me and I'm sorry I can't say the same for Jordan having to be stuck with you. And by the way, in case you missed it, my boyfriend had the game winner."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Tanya said, grabbing Heather's arm and pulling her away. She wrenched her arm away from her.

"You're nothing," Heather said to Piper. "You came in here like you were just owed a place. You're not one of us and you never will be one of us."

"Good! I hope I'm never like you. You are a bitch; a cold, heartless, thinks she better than everyone bitch. But you know what, Heather? You aren't better than anyone. In fact, they're all better than you."

"You little!" Heather raged, lunging for Piper. Jordan caught her and pulled her back.

"What the fuck?" Jordan yelled. He dragged her behind him and stormed up the stairs. They heard a door slam shut above them.

"So I guess the party is over," Eric said.

Tanya hugged Piper. "I am sorry for her behavior."

"Don't apologize," Piper said. "Its not your fault."

"I'll call you tomorrow. We'll have lunch, okay?"

"Sounds great, Tanya," Piper smiled. She smiled back and followed her husband from the room.

"I don't know what just happened but that was the hottest I have ever been for you," Zac whispered in Piper's ear. "Let's go home."

"Piper!" Quinn and Jordyn hollered as they crossed the parking lot outside the PNC Arena a month later. She shook her head as her friends hurried across the lot and pulled her into a hug. They linked arms and headed inside. Piper smiled and greeted the security guard at the door.

"Hi, Bob!"

"Good evening, Piper. How are you today?"

"I'm good. These are my friends, Jordyn and Quinn."

"Ah, the friends," Bob said knowingly. "I've heard about you two."

"And we have heard about you," Quinn said, pulling a boxed cupcake out from behind her back and handing it to Bob.

"Piper told us that your favorite thing in the world is a good old PB&J so we brought you our newest menu item, the Bob special," Jordyn added.

Quinn nodded as Bob pulled the cupcake out of the box. "Peanut butter cupcake with a jelly filling and peanut butter frosting with crushed peanuts on top."

They watched expectantly as he took a bite. The girls all smiled as that pure look of pleasure rolled over Bob's face as he chewed.

"This is delicious," Bob said. "All I need is a glass of milk. Thank you girls.

"Thank you, Bob," Jordyn said. "For looking out for our girl."

"I like Bob," Quinn said as the three settled into their seats. "He's adorable."

"I'm glad he liked the cupcake. Wouldn't be any good if its namesake didn't even like it," Jordyn replied.

Piper recalled her first meeting with Bob as Quinn and Jordyn talked. Completely and utterly lost, Piper was wandering the arena after her first game after moving to Raleigh. She had stumbled across Bob, who escorted her to the lounge to wait on Zac. As they walked, she told him all about her move and what her friends had done. Piper reminded Bob of his daughter, who had been killed three years earlier by a drunk driver. He could tell she was nervous about her move and invited her over to have dinner with him and his wife the next day, knowing the Hurricanes were leaving in the morning for a road trip. From that night on, Piper always made sure to find him whenever she visited the arena to say hello. Bob and his wife were surrogate parents in Raleigh, not just for Piper but for Zac also.

"How are things with Justin?" Piper asked Jordyn. She noticed Quinn roll her eyes.

"We're friends," Jordyn said.

"Friends? But he loves you, Jordyn."

"He still kissed another girl."

"He thought it was you. Doesn't that count for anything?"

"No."

"She's being stubborn, Piper," Quinn piped up. "Don't bother."

"Don't start with me, Quinn," Jordyn warned.

"I'm not." Quinn turned away and watched the two teams skate out for warm ups. Zac waved to them and they all waved back.

"Are you two okay?" Piper finally asked.

"We're fine, Piper," Jordyn said. "We just don't see eye to eye on this."

"Which is why I've been staying at Chuckie's," Quinn added.

"You moved out?!" Piper exclaimed.

"No but since Zac is here, Chuckie has the place to himself so I've been staying over there more. I mean, I have some things there is all."

"You haven't set foot in our place for over three weeks," Jordyn pointed out. "Even when they were on the road last week. You stayed at Zach's."

Quinn shrugged. "His bed is comfy."

"You guys can't fight. I don't like it," Piper said.

"We're not fighting," Quinn said.

"We're totally fighting," Jordyn said. "Over Justin Peters." She turned to Piper. "They're friends again."

"Why can't I be friends with him? I see him all the time. He apologized. It was a mistake and it wasn't even his fault!"

"Not his fault?! So his lips just oops, fell on hers by accident?"

"She kissed him. She looked exactly like you and she bum rushed him. He didn't have time to react."

"Of course you'll defend him. You want him for yourself."

"Jordyn!" Piper exclaimed. "You know that is not true."

"Do we? Given the opportunity, who knows what Quinn will do," Jordyn replied.

Quinn stood abruptly and shoved out of the row and up the stairs. "What the hell is going on with you two?" Piper asked in disbelief.

"It's nothing, Piper. Just forget it," Jordyn answered.

"Jordyn, you and Quinn have been friends for years. I've never seen you like this. I'm worried."

"There's nothing to worry about. We'll fix this eventually."

"Eventually?"

"Piper, it'll be fine, I promise. I'll talk to Quinn tomorrow and we'll work it out."

Just before the start of the game, Quinn dropped back into her seat. She focused on the game and they all watched in silence through the period. At intermission, Jordyn pulled her cell phone out and flipped through her twitter when she got a text message. She excused herself and walked out to the concourse and found a corner to check it.

I'm not saying she's right but you and Quinn have got to stop. I can't take much more of her moping.

She's moping?

In case you didn't know, you're her best friend and you're fighting so yeah, she's moping. I bet you are too.

Maybe a little. Kinda awkward at work too.

I'm not trying to take sides but....my goaltender is miserable and I think you need to give him another chance. And it'll make my girlfriend really happy which will make me really happy. Please God let me he happy again!

He's miserable? How miserable?

That's your take away? Not that I'm miserable?? Because I'm pretty miserable too.

Eh. You're Quinn's problem. ;)

No, she's my problem.

:) But seriously, how miserable is he?

He can't eat, he can't sleep.

Don't lie to me.

I'm not, I swear. He's going along with your lets be friends bullshit because its the only way he knows he can be around you. He wants you, Jordyn. Only you. Talk to him, for real this time.


"Soooo," Piper began, looking at Quinn.

"What's up?" Quinn asked.

"You and Jordyn, you're going to be okay ?"

"We'll be fine, Piper. Don't worry about it, ok?"

"Okay," Piper agreed, letting the subject drop.

The second period started and five minutes in, Cam Ward was bowled over by a skater from the Islanders and went down. He skated off the ice under his own power with the trainer at his side. Dan skated out to the goal and the three girls cheered for him. Quinn heard her phone ding towards the end of the period and pulled it from her purse.

iYou three still going to Pittsburgh tomorrow?

Yep.

Lets go out when you're there.

Uh...ok?

Cam's out for two weeks.

YOU'RE GETTNG CALLED UP?????

:)

That's great, Justin! You go best friend! ::hugs::

Circumstances suck.

Yeah but beggars can't be choosers.

I love how you try to put a positive spin on everything.

Can I tell Piper and Jordyn?

Sure. How are things between you two?

Fine until your name comes up.

Then just leave me out of it.

Can't do that. I think she's wrong.

Quinn, you can't jeopardize years of friendship and your business because you think you're right and Jordyn's wrong.

I can do whatever I want.

No you can't. You have to do what I tell you.

Hahahaha! That's rich! I don't even take orders from Zach. He takes them from me and now you do too. :b

Dream on. I'll call you when I get to Pittsburgh.

Sounds good. Can we eat before the game?

Of course. I would be offended if you didn't. Promise to take me out after the game? We're staying over in Pittsburgh.

Promise. Talk to ya soon!


"You're here!" Vaughn exclaimed when Piper, Jordyn, and Quinn pulled into Kris' driveway. She ran down to meet them and hugged them each. "The boys are here. They want to meet Piper. Oh, and Geno is asking about you, Quinn," she teased.

Quinn grinned. "Sid's been giving me updates since we touched down. Nealer too."

"Flower's been asking about you, Jordyn," Vaughn continued.

"I'm swearing off goalies," Jordyn replied.

"I see."

Piper's phone rang and she smiled brightly. "Gotta take this," she said, setting her bag down in the driveway.

"Tell Zac we said hi," Jordyn said as they followed Vaughn into the house.

"Hey," Piper answered.

"Hey. You make it to Pittsburgh?"

"Yeah, we just got to Kris' place."

"Good. I'm glad you got there safe. How are Quinn and Jordyn?"

"Okay. They're not speaking as much as normal but I guess they'll be okay."

"They'll work it out. Just don't worry about it."

"I'll try."

"Now, I need you to do me a favor."

"What?"

"You have to keep Quinn off of the Internet and her phone for the rest of the day."

"Why?"

"Zach got called up and is on his way to Pittsburgh. Jordan got hurt in practice stayed behind in Raleigh. He wants to surprise her."

"I might actually be able to accomplish this. She'll be distracted with James and Sid here."

"That's perfect."

"I'll do my best."

Piper ended her call with Zac and walked inside. Kris greeted her and took her bag, and led her into the living room. "Guys, this is Piper. Piper, this is Sidney, James, Flower, and Geno." She smiled in greeting to them and sat down beside Vaughn.

"I need to get Quinn's phone away from her," Piper whispered to Vaughn.

"Why? You know she can't live without it. It's her lifeline to Zach."

"Zach got called up. He's on his way for the game tonight and wants to surprise her."

Vaughn squealed excitedly and Piper shushed her. Quinn laughed at something Geno said, sandwiched in between him and Sidney and didn't even notice. Jordyn walked over and sat down beside the two girls. "What are we squealing about?"

"Zach got called up," Piper said quietly. "But Quinn doesn't know. He wants to surprise her. I’m supposed to keep her off of her phone and the internet all day." Sidney stood up and walked into the kitchen.

"I have an idea," Jordyn said, following Sidney into the kitchen. "I need a favor," she said to him as he grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Ok. What is it and then I'll decide."

"Its about Quinn."

"Oh, well, okay then."

Jordyn shook her head. "Of course."

Sidney grinned and closed the door to the fridge. He took a step closer to Jordyn and closed the space between them. "I'd do a favor for you. You just have to ask." Jordyn blushed and then quickly explained the situation with Zach to Sidney. "I can accidentally swap phones with her," he suggested. "We have the same phone and hers is sitting on the coffee table. I'll set my down beside hers and grab the wrong one when I leave. I gotta head out in a little bit anyways."

"That's perfect, Sid. Thank you!" Jordyn said, giving him a hug.

"Now you owe me a favor," he said with a smile before walking back into the living room.

Jordyn took a seat back on the couch with Piper and Vaughn. "Sid is going to steal her phone"

"She's meeting Justin for lunch at one so we just have to keep her distracted for the next three hours," Piper said.

"I got this," Vaughn said. "Hey Geno!" she called out. He looked up at her expectantly. "Didn't you say something about showing Quinn the arena today?"

Quinn clapped excitedly. "Yes! Oh my God, let's go," she said, jumping to her feet. "You're going too, right James?"

"Sure," he agreed. "Can't leave you alone with the Russian."

"What about you, Sid?" Quinn asked.

"Gotta head home. I'm expecting a delivery," he said, rising to his feet and grabbing his phone from the coffee table. He looked over to Vaughn, Jordyn, and Piper and winked at them.

"You guys coming?" Quinn asked as she headed towards the door, arm linked through James.

"I’ll go," Piper said.

"I’m gonna stay here," Jordyn said.

Vaughn moved to sit in Kris' lap and snuggled against him. "I'm staying too."

After leaving Consol, James dropped Quinn off at the restaurant she was meeting Justin at and Geno drove Piper back to Kris' house. Justin waved when he saw Quinn climb out of James’ car.

“Hey,” he said, giving her a quick hug.

“Hey yourself, bestie.” He shook his head at her and slung an arm around her shoulder, leading her inside.

“Good trip?”

“Uneventful.”

“How’s Jordyn?”

“She’s Jordyn.”

“Are you two still fighting?”

“No, we just don’t talk about you.”

“You're still staying at Zach’s,” Justin observed.

“I like staying with Zach.”

“You’re avoiding Jordyn.”

“So what if I am? You’re the idiot that agreed to just be friends. Why don't you just tell her that you don't want to be just friends with her? Man up, Peters!”

“How about we talk about something else, like the weather,” he suggested.

She pulled her phone out and laid it on the table in front of her. “How about we talk about the fact that I haven’t spoken to my boyfriend today? He’s usually called by now.” She unlocked the phone and groaned. “Fuck!”

“What’s wrong? Phone dead?"

“No, this isn't my phone. Its Sidney’s. Damn it.” She pulled up his text messages and sent one to her phone.

You have my phone dumbass.

Whoops!

Has my boyfriend called?

Nope.

Texted?

Nu-uh.

Oh.

I’ll give him my number if he does though.

Thanks. Guess we can swap back at the bar.

Yep. Later!


She pushed the phone into her purse and turned her attention back to Justin. “So the weather, huh?”