Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 015:

Chapter Fifteen
"This is ridiculous! I want this lockout to end!" I whined as I laid on the couch next to Sidney and Marc, with Veronique next to him.

It was December, almost three months had gone by, and still the lockout was over. Most of the boys, actually just about all of the boys, had gone home until they heard word on what was going on. Sidney had just come back from spending Thanksgiving with his family, and Marc, Veronique and I, along with my cousin, Brandon, who drove from Boston, spent Thanksgiving at my house. We attempted to make a small turkey and do all the fixings, but that didn’t work, and we just ended up have pizza and beer, and watched football.

“I know, I’m getting really bored,” Sidney said and I nodded my head.

“Alex,” Veronique started and I looked towards her, “What are you doing for Christmas?”

I looked towards her and sighed, “Probably get a little ham and spend it here.”

“With who?” Marc asked.

“Sarabi and Zeus.”

“Don’t be silly,” Sidney said and I looked at him, “Come back to Cole Harbour with me.”

“I can’t leave the dogs. Our dogs!” I reminded him and he sighed.

“Well don’t spend it by yourself!” he said and I shrugged my shoulders.

“This is what happens when you don’t speak to your mother and I can’t be around my Dad because she’s there,” I explained and Sidney nodded his head. I knew that he would never understand this feeling because he and his family were close, “I’ll see if my cousin is going home, if not I’ll have him come.”

“Thank you!”

“You two bicker like you’re an old married couple!” Veronique said and I blushed and looked at her.

Marc laughed and then I nudged his shoulder, “Shut up!”

A little while after that Marc and Veronique had to leave, so it was just Sidney and I. We sat on the couch with the dogs on our laps.

"So why do you spend Christmas by yourself?" Sidney asked and I sighed and looked towards Sarabi.

"Christmas wasn't really the best time to be around my family," I started and then adjusted myself in my seat so that I was looking at Sidney, "When I left for college, I stayed in an on-campus apartment, so when the holidays hit, I was able to stay. I didn't come home for any holiday when I was in Tennessee," I confessed and then rubbed my forehead, "When I moved to Texas, I was surrounded by my family on my Mother's side, who luckily, aren't as psycho as she is, so I spent every holiday there. But the last Christmas, she and my Dad showed up to surprise me, well, that didn't go too well. My Aunt had to call the cops because my Mom and I got into such an intense argument over hockey, and my family finally realized, that I hate my Mother for obvious reasons."

"So you spend Christmas alone now?"

"No, when I was with the Kings, I spent both Christmases with my teammates, Trevor Lewis and Jonathan Bernier. They didn't go home either, so we had Christmas together."

"Well that's good," Sidney said and then started to scratch Zeus' neck and he started to kick his leg. We laughed a little and then I sighed and laid my head back along the back of the couch.

"I hate holidays."

"No, you just haven't had a good one," he said and I looked at him, "Come to Cole Harbour with me."

"What about the dogs?"

"They can come too!" he said and I sighed.

"I don't know if Zeus would make it through the trip, isn't that a long drive?"

"Yeah, but-"

"Thanks Sidney, but, I'll be fine," I said then kissed his cheek and stood up to walk into the kitchen. I really wanted to go, but I was scared. I've only had two boyfriends in my lifetime, and when it was time to meet the family, it never went over well. Once they found out that I played hockey, they wondered what was wrong with me, and I don't want to go through that again.

Christmas was in about a week and planned on spending it with food, my dogs, and a butt load of movies. I didn't even have any decorations up because I thought that there was no point. I leaned against the counter and sighed and rubbed my face, I felt restless and needed to get out of the house.

I walked upstairs and went into my room to change into some jogging pants, a sports bra and a hoodie. I walked back down the stairs to see Sidney right where I left him, "I'm going to go for a run, I'll be back," I said and then saw Sarabi pop her head up and run from the couch. I walked down the stairs to the front door and grabbed Sarabi's leash and headed out the door.

-Sidney-
Alex went for a run and I sat on her couch petting Zeus. I felt bad because I had made Alex feel uncomfortable talking about her family and the holidays. I figured that if I couldn't get her to come home with me, then I guess that I would stay here and keep her company. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and then dialed my Mom's number and waited for her to pick up. I explained to her that I wasn't going to come home for Christmas and told her why.

"Is this the girl you were telling me about when you were home? The hockey girl?"

"Yes."

"Do you like this girl, sweetie?" my Mom asked and I looked at the ground and thought about her.

"Yeah Mom," I smirked, "I do."

"How so?"

"Every since Alex got here in June, there's just been something about her that made me happy. I mean, I've had girlfriends before, but, with Alex there's this feeling there, that I haven't shared with anyone else." I smiled and then stood up from the couch.

"Aw, well then, we'll see you around Easter then," she said and I smiled and scratched Zeus' head.

"All right, I'll see you then, love you," I said and then hung up the phone. I stared at my phone thinking about what my Mother just asked me, "I do, I do really like her."

I walked into the kitchen and looked out the window to wait for her to come back. I looked down at Zeus, "It's settled, Zeus. I'm going to spend Christmas with Alex."

Alex came back about an hour later out of breath and a coat of sweat was on her face. She smiled towards me when she saw sitting back on the couch.

"Right where I left you," she said and I laughed.

"I moved," I said as she walked up the stairs.

I sighed and then got up and walked up the stairs too. Alex's door was opened a little so I walked in to hear her in her walk-in closet. I walked past it and walked over towards her bed and sat on the end of it.

"So what are your plans tonight?" she asked and I smirked and shook my head.

"I don't know, everyone's gone home, I might head to the rink later to practice."

"Figures, you're a workaholic."

"Takes one to know one," I teased and she laughed as she walked out of her closet. That laugh made a smile form on my face and I gulped as she walked past me and threw some clothes on the bed. I looked back towards her and saw that she had unzipped her hoodie and I saw that she only had a sports bra on, '...Oh boy...'

"So does that mean, you're gunna want company on the ice?" Alex asked and I looked back and smirked.

"Sure," I said and looked at me.

"You all right?" she asked and then walked over towards me.

"Yeah, why?" I asked and then tried to not look at her, because I just kept looking at her chest.

"Ok," she said and then started to walk towards her bathroom.

"Alex."

"Yeah."

"You sure you don't want to come home with me?"

"Sidney I can't, I told you that," she said and I stood up.

"Then I'll stay here. I'll spend Christmas with you."

Alex turned around and looked at me surprised, "What about your family?"

"I'll see them at Easter, besides, I just saw them."

"Sidney, no, they're your family, I don't want you to miss Christmas with them because of me."

"But I want to," I said as I walked closer towards her.

"I don't need your pity, Sidney! I understand I'm not from a family like yours but-" I cut her off by stepping in front of her, placing my hands on her cheeks and placing my lips against her.

I felt her hands on my waist and I moved my hands down to her waist and felt her hands move up to my chest. Everything was good, until I felt her pull me away and she looked at the ground with her eyes wide.

'...Shit...'

"Sidney, I can't."

"Alex! It's not a pity party I-"

"I realize that, but we can't! You're my teammate! My Captain! I can't!" she said and then ran into the bathroom.

I sighed and then walked out of her room and headed down the stairs and out the door. When I got into my car I slammed my fist against the steering wheel and cursed loudly. I sighed and then pulled out of the driveway and then headed back to the apartment that I shared with Geno and James, who had gone home.