Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 022:

Chapter Twenty Two
“Son of a bitch!” Geno growled as he threw his stick onto the ground and sat on the bench.

It was Wednesday night, and we had just lost our first home game after playing the Toronto Maple Leafs. The only time I was on the ice was in the first period, and I spent the time trying to break up the fight between #5 Deryk Engelland and Toronto #28 Colton Orr. But when I almost got punched, I said screw it and let the two of them fight it out. Orr got a penalty and Engelland walked away with a black eye, which really needed to be looked at. The final score was five to two, Toronto, and Marc was so mad at himself for letting them score against him, that he wasn’t talking to anyone.

…I never knew these guys were such sore losers…’ I thought as I looked around the room and saw all the angry faces on the boys, even Sidney had a puss on his face. Sure I was mad that we lost, but there’s nothing more we can do about it now other then learn from our mistakes and work on some of the plays for next time we played them.

“You’re not going to shower?” Sidney asked as he saw that I had just put my hoodie on over my under armor.

“I didn’t do anything on the ice, I didn’t even work up a sweat,” I said and he nodded his head. He could at least tell that I was upset, but I was upset that I didn’t get more than two minutes on the ice, not about the fact that we lost.

The boys showered and then grabbed their stuff and we left the locker room and headed outside towards our cars to go home. I guess some of the reports knew not to bother the boys if they lost, because there were only a select few that were there, and I easily hid behind Sidney and Marc as we walked past them and ignored them.

I got into my car and drove home after say bye to the guys. When I pulled into my driveway I hit the button to open the garage door and pulled my car in. I sighed as I turned my car off and grabbed my bag from the backseat and then walked into the car.

“Hey,” Sam said as she saw me walked up the stairs, “Not good, huh?”

“No,” I said and then walked over towards the stairs. I threw my bag on the ground and then headed upstairs, “I’m going to bed.”

“All right,” Sam said and then I heard Sarabi run up past me on the stairs and then head to my room. I took my shirt off and then collapsed onto the bed in only my sports bra and shorts. Sarabi jumped up next to me and then laid down, I felt her place her head on my back and I smirked and then rolled over and moved all the way to the top of my bed, “Come on,” I called and Sarabi crawled the rest of the way up and laid her head in my lap, “You don’t care whether we won or lost, you just want some love, don’t you?” I said and laughed as I kissed her head.

“You all right?”

My head snapped up and I saw Sidney walking into my room, “When did you get here?”

“Just now,” he said and walked over towards the bed, “James and I are here.”

“No Geno?”

“He went to bed,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Which is what I’m about to do,” I said and Sidney nodded his head, “Did you even go home?”

“Just to drop Geno off,” he said and then scratched Sarabi’s head and smirked, “She’s a good dog.”

“I know. She keeps me company,” I said and then twirled her ear in my hand, “Whenever we lost when I was with the Kings, the boys that I stayed with would come to my room and steal her away. They’d bribe her with lunchmeat and then cuddle with her,” I said and Sidney laughed, “You all right?”

“I’m tired,” Sidney said as he laid back on the bed and sighed. I knew he was frustrated about the loss, but I didn’t want to bring anything up.

I pointed towards Sarabi’s bed in the corner of the room and she jumped off of the bed and walked over. I moved closer towards Sidney and then laid down against him. I placed my head on his chest and then felt his arm wrap around me and he placed a kiss on my forehead. No one said anything the rest of the night, we just laid in bed.

When I woke the next morning I found that my back was pressed to Sidney’s chest and I that my head was lying on his arm, with his other arm wrapped around my waist. I smiled and looked over towards Sarabi’s bed to see that she was sprawled across it and even snoring a little. I carefully turned my body around so that I was facing Sidney and he wasn’t getting a face full of hair, I tried to be careful, but I still woke him up.

“Sorry, I tried not to wake you,” I said and he smirked.

“It’s fine,” he said and then sat up and stretched, “My arm’s asleep,” he laughed and I smirked and then stood up and walked over towards my closet to grab some clothes.

I looked at the clock on the wall and saw that it was about seven in the morning. I grabbed my practice uniform and then threw it in an extra bag that I had and then grabbed a tank top and my old high school hoodie and threw it on.

“Where are you going?” Sidney asked as I threw the bag out of the closet.

“Ice rink,” I said and then heard him sigh, “Go back to sleep.”

“No way, I’ll come with you,” he said and I walked out of the closet.

“I’ll be fine, Sidney, I just want to get some practice in,” I said as I picked up my bag and walked into my bathroom to brush my teeth.

“Look if this is about how you barely played yesterday-“

“This isn’t about that, Sidney, don’t worry,” I said and then cleaned up my sink and looked at him, “Trust me, I’ll be fine. Go back to bed.”

“Alex.”

“Bed!” I said and then reached up to kiss his cheek and walked out of my room and headed downstairs.

I knew that James didn’t go home last night, and I didn’t see him on the couch when I came downstairs, so I can only image that he and Sam hooked up and were in her room. I sighed and then walked down the stairs and went into the garage.

The drive to the rink was quiet and there surprisingly weren’t a lot of cars out for it being a Thursday morning. I parked my car and walked inside finding the doors already unlocked. I didn’t think that there was any staff here, so I didn’t know why the doors were unlocked. I walked further into the building and heard skates gliding on the ice and heard pucks being shot. As I got to the ice I saw #15 Dustin Jeffrey there.

“Hey Dustin,” I said as I climbed under the fence and he looked up and skated over towards me.

“Alex, hey. I didn’t know you’d be here this early.”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Yeah, same here, I’ve been here since five,” he said and I could clearly see all of the sweat from him practicing so hard.

“Wow, well I’m going to go and get changed,” I said and he nodded his head.

“I’m almost finished here, so when you come out you can have to ice,” he said and I nodded my head and walked back towards the locker room.

I changed into my practice gear and put my skates on, grabbed my stick and a bag of pucks and headed out towards the ice. I saw Dustin on the bench catching his breath and drinking some water.

“Go get some sleep, Dustin,” I said as I skated onto the ice and emptied the bag of pucks.

“All right,” he said and then headed back towards the locker room.

I sighed and then lined up the pucks at the center face off lane and worked on my slap shot. Once I used all of my pucks, I went to go and get them out of the net and start again.

“You know that only works when you actually have a goalie there.”

I turned around and saw Marc standing behind me in his practice gear. I was concentrating so hard on my practice that I didn’t even hear him come onto the ice, “Hey, what are you doing here?”

“I figured that someone would be here, and I needed some practice after letting someone score against me five times,” he growled and I nodded my head understanding. Marc skated over towards the net and the scratched his skates into the ice and looked at me, “Ready.”

I nodded my head and the circled the puck and then grabbed it and started to skate down the ice, practice was now in session.