Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 003:

Chapter Three
Coach had given me a month to get my life in order, and to get my house actually livable. Although, it only took about three weeks to get my life in order, I decided I was going to spend that last week, going home to visit my friends and parents; although, I had no clue how visiting my parents might go, since we didn't quite get along.

At the moment I was at the practice rink watching as Sidney practiced by himself. I didn't realize that he would have been here this early in the morning, and I wanted to get some practice in before I left this afternoon. I leaned against the glass and held onto my stick, as I watched as he practiced his drills and then score a goal. I smirked when I saw the smile on his face and it made me remember why I played hockey. Sidney scored another goal and I cheered for him. I must have surprised him, because he looked around to see where the cheer had came from.

"Hey," he said and then skated over towards me, "I didn't realize I wasn't the only one here."

I smirked and shook my head, "I just got here. I didn't realize I wasn't the only person to practice this early."

"Yeah, Coach gave me the keys to the rink, so I'm here a lot."

"Cool, he gave me a set of keys too," I said and Sidney nodded his head and looked down to see I was in practice gear.

"You wanna do a one-on-one game?"

I smirked and then shrugged my shoulders, "Only if the Golden boy is all right with losing."

"Oh cocky much," he smirked and I laughed.

He moved out of the way and I skated onto the ice. We headed towards the middle of the ice and faced off, and at that moment, we both realized what the other was capable of.

"Please, I let you win," Sidney teased and I laughed and shook my head.

"In your dreams," I said and then skated over towards the bench.

"You finished already?" Sidney asked and I laughed and nodded my head.

"Yeah, I have to go home and start to pack."

"Pack?" Sidney asked while skating over a sitting next to me.

"Yeah, I have one week left of this 'vacation', and I was going to head home to see some people I haven't seen in a while."

"Oh, that'll be fun. When was the last time you were home?"

"Four years ago," I said and Sidney looked a little surprised, "I couldn't wait to leave, and I really don't want to go back."

"Oh, I can't really relate to that."

"My Mother and I don't really get along, but I haven't seen my Dad in a long time, so I want to see him."

"Oh, yeah, I don't know much about that either. My family and I are pretty close."

"Lucky," I said and then stood up, "Well, I better get going."

"Have fun," Sidney said as I started to walk away.

"Yeah, right, I'll try."

I left the rink and then headed home to packed my Traverse with my luggage and things that Sarabi would need. After the bags were all packed into the car, I went back into the house to get Sarabi and to make sure that everything was locked.

"You ready to hit the road?" I asked Sarabi and she ran into the car and into the backseat.
Once everything was finished, and we were ready to go, I got into the car and started my six hour drive back to Wilkes-Barre.

When I arrived in front of my house, it was about five o'clock at night. I looked at the house and saw that it looked exactly the same as I left it four years ago. I saw my father's truck in the driveway, so I knew he at least was home. I sighed as I pulled into the alleyway and into the driveway. I looked over and saw my father out in the yard working on his garden. I smiled when he stood up and looked towards me, I really did miss my father.

"Lexi!" My father yelled as he stood up from his garden and I got out of my car.

"Hi, Daddy," I said and then met him half way and hugged him.

"How are you? You should have called that you were coming!"

"I wanted to surprise you! I haven't seen you in two years," I said and then my Dad looked towards my car.

"What's in your car? And when did you get this car?"

"About a year ago, and that's Sarabi, let me get her," I said and then opened the back door to let out my black Great Dane, with a white stomach.

"Oh, she's beautiful!" my Dad cooed as he bent down to pet her. I grew up with Great Danes, so when I was on my own, of course I wanted one, "And what's her name?"

"Sarabi."

"You and your Lion King," my Dad teased and I smiled.

"How's Mom?"

"Your Mother is your Mother," he said and I sighed.

"That's what I was afraid of," I muttered and then looked to hear the back door open. I turned to look towards the house to see my Mother standing on the back porch looking towards me, "Hi Mom."

"Alex, what are you doing here?"

'...Wait to feel the love, Mom...' I thought as Dad stood up and placed his hand on my back.

"What difference does is make on why she's here, dear? She's here!" my Dad said and then pushed me towards the house.

Sarabi and I walked into the house that I grew up in and I looked around to see that just about everything was the same. We walked into the dining room and I sat down at the table, while Sarabi sat next to me and placed her head on my lap. My guess was that she could sense that I was uncomfortable and she wanted me to calm down.

"So why the visit? You haven't been home in almost four years," my mother said as she sat down and looked at me, "I thought you were in L.A.?"

"I was traded."

"So you don't play that awful game anymore?"

"No Mother, I still play hockey, I've just been traded to a different team," I said and my mother shook her head.

"Who do you play for now, Lexi?" my Dad asked and I looked over towards him as he sat across from me.

"The Pittsburgh Penguins."

"Oh, so you're back in Pennsylvania?"

"Yes, I live in Pittsburgh now."

"I hope you don't live with four boys this time. That was highly inappropriate, I can't believe that you didn't tell me that you lived with them," my mother complained and I sighed.

'...Here we go...'

"Dear-"

"No! Don't dear me."

"No, Mother, I don't live with anyone. I bought a house and I live with Sarabi."

"Sarabi?"

"Her dog, dear."

"Oh, a Great Dane? Wonderful," she said and I rolled my eyes.

'...How did you miss her? She's huge?...' I thought as I pet Sarabi's head, "I thought you liked Great Danes?"

"No, Alex, your father liked Great Danes," she said and I shook my head, "To me, they're just big animals."

"That's cold, Mom," I said as I scratched under Sarabi's head and played with her ears.

"So have you met your team yet?" Dad asked trying to change the subject.

"Just my Captain and Coach," I said and my Dad nodded his head.

"That's nice. Oh by the way, congratulations on winning the cup," Dad said and I smiled and nodded my head.

"Thanks, hopefully with the Penguins, I'll be able to win again."

"You do all this for a cup?" my mother asked and I sighed and shook my head.

"Yes Mom, all of it is for a cup."

"Well that's just silly."

I sighed and rubbed my head, '...Ok, it's time to leave...', "Ok, this has been fun, but it's time for me to leave," I said as I stood up and looked towards Sarabi.

"You don't need to leave, you just got here," my Dad said as he stood up and looked at me.

"No, it's all right, give me a call if you want to visit me in Pittsburgh and see my new home."

"All right, is your number still the same?" my Mom asked and I nodded my head.

"I'll talk to you later," I said and headed towards the door, '...Should have known better...'

"Lexi, that's a six hour drive and it's already six. How about you stay the night, and we'll get breakfast in the morning?" my dad asked and I sighed and looked at him.

'...This is such a bad idea...' I thought as I looked at him, "I guess."

"Good, you remember where your bedroom is?"

"Of course," I said and then looked over toward my Mom, "Are you ok with this, Mom?"

"I just redid that room!" she said and I sighed.

"It's all right, I'll just stay at the hotel," I said and then patted Sarabi's back.

"Dear! She's your daughter! Can't you get along?" No one said anything. I waited for my mother to even look at me, but nothing.

"Call me if you want to get together tomorrow, Dad," I said and then headed towards the door.